87 Shelby Charger

wow i recently sold my shelby charger super cheap basically gave it away.. i had it on the for sale section here but didnt see any intrest it was fully built..anyway the new owner painted it this same color!! almost identical he used a new HOK shimrin series pearl on it..its a tad bit more bluer but almost identical...i had fun with that little thing...when i had it it was black super clean near mint. good luck that thing looks bad ass!

It's a 2007 GM color called Bahama blue. I think the base color is green and then it has a bluish pearle topcoat and clear. So as you walk around it it changes from the green to the blue hue. Funny thing was that the first color I chose out of the fleet color book they said they couldn't mix in base/clear so I had to pick something else. I really had no idea that it was this type of color when you're looking at those small chips in the book. I nned to take a couple more tomorrow after work if it's sunny. I grabbed the swiss cheese wheels off the Sport Omega that have a new set of rubber on them. The pizza wheels are in need of stripping and cleaning, but I really think the cheese wheels look way better on this car. So I'll snap a couple more in a better setting if I can so that it shows the color better and you can see the stripes and the lettering of the decals.

I swapped out the pizza wheels for a set of swiss cheese wheels I had on the Sport Omega. Besides, I needed to take a couple more pics in some better light so the color would show better,

Attachments

• Photo0198.jpg
    Photo0198.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Photo0199.jpg
    Photo0199.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 167
Maybe next year. I still need to upgrade the clutch. It is a new stock replacement for a 3800 powered Camaro(not supercharged of course). It cannot hold as soon as the engine starts boosting. Anything over half throttle in 3rd-5th and it just slips. So I need to pony up for a nice clutch. I would really like to also change the gearing of the transmission itself. Even though the T5 from a 3800 Fbody is a WC T5 the gearing sucks. 1st gear on a V6 T5 is 3.76-1 as opposed the a GM V8WC T5 has a 2.95-1 1st gear....and a higher torque rating. I'll have to swap the internals because the 93-02 T5's in the Fbodies use the Ford trans to bellhousing bolt pattern. Anybody have an 88-92 GM V8 WC T5 laying around for parts? It was used behind either the TBI or TPI 5.0.

I like that color a lot. Although Id put something slightly different for wheels on. Needs some 5 spokes! :)

A couple more.

Attachments

• Photo0200.jpg
    Photo0200.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Photo0201.jpg
    Photo0201.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Photo0202.jpg
    Photo0202.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 137
I was thinking of buying some new rims but I thought I'd try to clean up the swiss cheese rims a little better. It's almost impossible to get rid of the micro oxidation on the surface that makes it look like it has spots on the machined finish so I decided to sand the machined finish off and polish them. I also painted the holes with a dark metallic grey. Now I think I'll keep them, the only thing now is I still like RWL tires so I want to get a set of BFG radial TA's.
IMG013.jpg
IMG014.jpg

Just wait 'til I get the BFG Radial TA's on it, then it'll really be going 80's style. The raised white letter was the style then and I still like those tires. No I wouldn't put them on any new cars, well maybe an Earnhardt edition Monte Carlo would look good with some GOODYEAR RWL tires.

I finally took out the grey Shelby dash and installed the older styled(79-83) black dash that's been sitting in the rafters for a while. Now I just need to get back out to Rohners near Willmar and get a good black gripped steering wheel(hopefully I one of the black interior cars still has one in decent shape. I do have an excellent horncap/spoke cover for a black wheel at least. The wheel style never really changed from 79-87 but they only offered black from 79-83.View attachment 156527View attachment 156527
IMG023.jpg

Getting a lot done this weekend! Spring fever has really hit me. Another thing I put off last year was getting the chin spoiler I'm using to fit properly. It was originally designed for the 84-86 Charger/Turismo 2.2 with the 4 headlight front end not the 79-83 2 headlight nose. This took some thought as to how and where to cut and trim it to look right. I actually did just stick one on my 82 Turismo as is and made a couple brackets but I wanted this one to really follow the bottom of the bumper nicely. So I removed 5" from the sides and had to trim off the top most of the way across the front. I'll do a little more smoothing of the edges and then send it to keystone and let them do the plastic welding and filling. there's also the body line that's about 9/16" wide that needs to be filled in too.
IMG026.jpg
IMG027.jpg

I did a little work yesterday, I swapped out the 3.55 posi differential for the 3.08 posi unit I had sitting under the bench. When I built this car I thought the 3.55's would be perfect. Well they would be if these cars didn't run small size tires. Even in overdrive at 70mph it was turning 2,450. Not it turns 2,000....much better and 1st gear is actually usable. The inner cv joints were spitting grease ever since I got this thing going so while they were removed I fixed those too. I also did the final polish on 2 of the rims so now just the last three steps to go on the other 2 to get that reflective polished finish on the wheels. Don't ask me how long it takes to go from an oxidized machined finish to a smooth shiny polished finish........it takes a loooooooong time. for comparison I have a pic of the cars original pizza wheel which is about what I started with to the polished finish you can see the reflection of the spray bottle in the wheel.
IMG035.jpg
IMG034.jpg

It's ready, now just seeing if I can make it work out for me. Of course the seats still need to get redone. That was another thing I initially planned to take care of yesterday but the differential swap ended up taking most of the day instead of just a couple hours(surprise, surprise) so I didn't get them to the upholstery shop like I planned. I'll have to call them and see if they can meet me a little later in the evening this coming week. I have some extra charger seats to throw in while they're getting redone. I need to get the seats taken care of soon. I've been invited to Mopars in the Park here June 2&3. This years special attraction is the Charger from 66-present and mine is the only 81-83 style Charger 2.2 around. Yes I know it's an 87 but everything that needed to be changed has been to make it look like the Charger 2.2 so my car will be inside all weekend and I get in for free! What a deal!!!!! I did ask one of the other TurboDodge buddies if I should open the hood or leave it closed, he said if it was any other event he'd say open but since this is the Mopar show maybe I'd better leave the hood shut, someone would probably scream bloody murder for having a GM drivetrain. If they ask me questions I wonder what they'd say about me using Honda tie rod ends, haha.