96 Mustang Supercharged/w NOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the 98 4.6 really does suck. Me and a friend were out in his GN after The Fast and the Furious and had no competition whatsoever on the streets so he suggested getting his Mustang (4.6) so we could have some close races. I had been in the Mustang before and it FELT way faster than any ricer car I had been in but he assured me it wasn't much faster. First car we encountered was an Integra with exhaust and intake and we couldn't pull away until third gear. Every race that night was close. It was actually more fun in the Mustang. We also raced a 2000 4.6 Mustang and it was almost dead even. I went for my first ride in a new Cobra and was really disappointed but I've heard they respond well to mods unlike the SOHC motor.

My friend was going to mod the Mustang but after seeing what it takes to hit low 13s/ high 12s he decided the money was better spent on the GN.

a good driver can put a bone stock gt at 13.9

a cobra will go 13.2, how can you say you are disappointed.

there aren't that many more affordable cars out there on the 12 second door

just an fyi,

bob cosby from the corral ran an 11.95 last week,

that was with basic bolt on's.

he has drag radials, gears, x pipe and cat back, shorties, u/d pullies and a cold air pipe.

thats it 11.95 i would say is pretty damn respectable

I guess I was disappointed because the Cobra didn't feel much different from my friends 98 GT. It seemed to pull a little harder after 4,500rpm but I had to really try to feel the difference. Maybe it was one of those cars that didn't get the "fix". We didn't get to race anyone so I can only go by SOTP feel. I know the Cobra has far more potential than the SOHC motors but stock for stock I couldn't feel much difference.

I guess you decided to keep your car? I've seen it on clubsi and other sites. Nice car. BTW, did it go any faster with the auto?

Beefcake I hate to tell you, but the average driver ain't going to get no 13.2 out of a cobra... most likely anywhere from 13.9 to 13.5... On the other hand GMHTP got a 2001 Z28 M6 to run 12.9 @ 107 with Evan Smith behind the wheel... They said in the article that Evan got a newer cobra to run 13.2, but this ain't no average driver as he gets many cars to go faster than they normally do. You say the fastest 4.6 is at least 2 seconds quicker than the LS1... I know of some 9 and 8 second street buicks you could run into in Ohio and the funny part is you would think they are just your average 12 or 11 second TRs... That is until they lift the front end off the ground and make you look like your in reverse... One guy is Red Armstrong... There's a couple guys I know of down here that also run 9's and 8's and the cars drive and look completely like your average GN until they mash it, so if your ever in florida let me know... Keep in mind that the buicks have been handing the Rustangs and Slobras their ass along with other assorted V8's for close to 15 years now!!! And as far as the affordiability factor let's not even go there... FORD... FIXED OR REPAIED DAILY LOL. :D :D

Also beefy the guy bob cosby running the 11.95 with the mods you listed... I'll believe it when I see it so basically I don't believe it!!! Unless of course you left out some mods like a big blue bottle or heads and cam or maybe a charger or turbo... On a side note it is very common for TR's to hit 11's with no internal mods... Check the new GMHTP... they have a T type that ran 11.4 @ 119 with with the valve covers never being touched... stock heads, cam, intake, etc.

i dont care if john force is driving, i never seen a stock gt go 13.9. keep dreaming beefboy.

Howdy guys. It's been a while since I vistited....in fact, last time was when ya'll were still using UBB. Very nice update. There are several folks here that likely still know/remember me. Perhaps they will speak up. :)

I have no desire to get into any sort of pissing contest, but would like to respond to this post, as I have been referenced in here a couple of times.

Also beefy the guy bob cosby running the 11.95 with the mods you listed... I'll believe it when I see it so basically I don't believe it!!! Unless of course you left out some mods like a big blue bottle or heads and cam or maybe a charger or turbo.

It is quite obvious that you weren't there - and thus couldn't have seen it, so if that is the only way you will believe it, then I'm afraid I'm wasting my breath (fingers). However, it did happen, and it was with an internally stock-motored 99 Cobra with no power adders.

The pass was made at MIR in Maryland last Saturday. It was at an internet-sponsored F-body vs Mustang shootout (www.easternfbody.com). There are plenty of folks on both sides of the fence that can vouch for my car.

Here is the timeslip:

1195.jpg

Below is a video of the pass (2 formats, one large, one not-so-large).

11.95 run - 3 mb MPEG

11.95 run - 450k .wmv

My list of mods is in my sig, along with weather conditions and race weight. Additionally, if you'll click on the project page link in my sig, you can read all about this year's progress (for anyone that might be interested). Also, my Cobra is my daily driver, and sees ~2000 miles per month.

I have a great deal of respect of TR's and LS1's. I've been racing cars for quite some time (likely before some of ya'll were born), and I have no need or desire to BS anybody. I won't get involved in silly name calling, nor any chest-thumping. I'm simply stating some facts.

Have a good evening. :)

Nice run Bob, but beefjerky lol left out some things that your car had... #1 you have a different ECU #2 your car has huge 4.56 gears #3 your car only weighed 3325lbs when you raced... it is pretty possible at that weight and with the big gears coupled with a 1.6 60ft time to run those times... however, I don't know your car. Also, Matt I know what you mean about a stock GT running a 13.9... I ain't never seen it and I don't expect to until ford ups the power... Obviously, some certain beef product is making those cars seem faster than what they actually are... Trust me I know I run into those cars all the time and hammer just about everyone unless the guy put some serious money into it!!!:D :D

but beefjerky lol left out some things that your car had

What did he leave out? The chip? Ok. Didn't specify the gear? Ya, you caught him.

To your specifics...

#1 you have a different ECU

No, I don't have a different ECU in my car. My car has the stock ECU. It has an add-on chip - likely similar to one you likely run. It is on all the time though, doesn't get changed, and doesn't require race gas when I want to 'run really fast'.

#2 your car has huge 4.56 gears

Those 'huge' 4.56 gears aren't a big deal at all - except at the track, which is where they shine. I still run 60 miles per day - including highway miles - and get 25 mpg on trips (19-20 back and forth to work). In fact, I was racing down in your neck of the woods back in March - Orlando Speedworld. Drove there and back with those 'huge' gears. Overdrive transmissions are a wonderful thing. Don't you agree?

#3 your car only weighed 3325lbs when you raced

Yup - 3325 lbs. And? Weight reduction items for my car are cloth front seats, a rear seat delete kit, Centerlines (for the track only), and I don't run a front sway bar at the track. There is no other weight taken out of the car - at all. Just because you have to run at 3800 lbs sure doesn't mean that I do.

it is pretty possible at that weight and with the big gears coupled with a 1.6 60ft time to run those times.

Well gee thanks. Seeing as I did it, I suppose I agree with you. I might even say that it is more than 'pretty possible'.

Also, Matt I know what you mean about a stock GT running a 13.9... I ain't never seen it and I don't expect to until ford ups the power...

FYI - I have seen 99-01 GT's run 13.9 @ ~ 100-ish mph (with my own beady little eyes). If you and Matt haven't, oh well. If because you haven't seen one run it means they don't, then ok. However, I might suggest that if you're going to state as fact what a different brand/make of car can and can't run, you may wish to broaden your horizon's a bit and visit a few more tracks, and perhaps also read a few other Forums.

Obviously, some certain beef product is making those cars seem faster than what they actually are...Trust me I know I run into those cars all the time and hammer just about everyone

And I'm sure you do. According to you, your car should run 11's, correct? Maybe low 11's? Even though you haven't ever been to the track with it, I'll take you at your word, as I don't know your car (sound familier?). Should that not be plenty enough to 'kill' a 13.9 car? Because you do 'kill' them, are you then able to decide that they can't run 13.9's in pure stock trim? You should have no trouble killing me - assuming a hypothetical meeting. Could you then decide that I only run, say, a 12.2 vice an 11.9?

See ya at the track....when you make it to one. :D

Bob in street trim with anywhere from 15 to 17 psi and going from a dig I have beat a couple cars that run about the same times you do... If I have drag radials and 25 psi of boost I will really lay the smack down on your light weight Slobra lol... So basically you are wasting my time and I think you need to go back to the PONY site and talk your sh*t to slower cars that you can pick on!!! Also I frequent moroso down here and have been for a while and just haven't seen a GT running in the 13s... I think many would agree with me that this if at all possible happens rarely and isn't worth speaking of... I'll probably be getting an alchy kit real soon and will take the car and see what it runs and I'll post it on here... and as far as the Sh*tstangs I run into most aren't stock and if they are they think I'm stock because I have the factory rims on for now and they usually get a little surprised when I put bus lengths on them... Also I don't have a front mount which is usually a dead give away of a fast buick... when the car had just bolt ons it went 12.2 @ 112 with the tires spinning with a sh*tty 60ft time of a 1.8 do to the old slicks and the fact that moroso does a horrible job of prepping that track... now I also have southsides out back which should help a bit.

Jeeez...this site has really changed a lot. Sad.

Bob in street trim with anywhere from 15 to 17 psi and going from a dig I have beat a couple cars that run about the same times you do...
Wow. Congrats. And you knew they ran about the same times as I do because..................................they told you? You guessed? You've seen it - or not seen it - or whatever - at Mororso? It's irrelevant, really. I'm just trying to make a point. Likely in vain.

If I have drag radials and 25 psi of boost I will really lay the smack down on your light weight Slobra lol...
If I had this and if you had that and if it was this color and blah blah blah. If is a word commonly over-used by those that wish they were faster than they really are.

Oh, IF you ever get to the track, could you please drop me an e-mail and let me know what you ran? I'd be curious to hear. Thanks.

So basically you are wasting my time and I think you need to go back to the PONY site and talk your sh*t to slower cars that you can pick on!!!
I read back through my post, and nowhere could find where I was 'talking ****' or anything of the sort. If you took it as such - your loss. I feel sorry for you. As for wasting your time....and I making you reply? I think not.

And I'm sure your car could beat me. Cool. Pat yourself on the back and grab a lolli-pop. You are not alone. I can be beat by lots and lots and lots and lots of cars - Fords, GM's, Mopars, you name it. But hey...one of these days I might be as fast as you. Golly, can I then talk like you too? You know...talk down to people that aren't up to my level like a jr. high school wanna-be bully?

BTW, I class race. If you need me to explain that to you, just ask. The sanctioning body is the NMRA, the class is Factory Stock. There are certain things allowed, and a lot of other things not allowed (like turbo's). My goal is to beat my competitors - not some internet racer with a big head and a big mouth. There are many restrictions on what we can and can't do. Conforming to those rules means that I can't do certain things that your average bracket racer or street racer or internet race can do. Not that I'd want to.

I frequent moroso down here and have been for a while and just haven't seen a GT running in the 13s...
Must not happen then. Nope. Just not possible. Wait....could it be that Moroso (according to you in your post) never preps the track. Whatcha think? Nah. Only don't get traction there. Everybody else does. I gotcha.

I think many would agree with me that this if at all possible happens rarely and isn't worth speaking of
I'm sure you don't think it is worth speaking of. But for it not being worth it, you've certainly talked about it a lot in this thread.

I'll probably be getting an alchy kit real soon and will take the car and see what it runs and I'll post it on here
Good for you. I wish you luck.

and as far as the Sh*tstangs I run into most aren't stock and if they are they think I'm stock because I have the factory rims on for now and they usually get a little surprised when I put bus lengths on them
Holy run-on sentence batman! Yup, racing a GN is like eating a box of chocolates...you never know what you're in for till you do it.
Neat cars - and most of the owners are pretty cool, too (please pay particular attention to that word 'most').

Also I don't have a front mount which is usually a dead give away of a fast buick...
I see. So you have a 'super-stealth fast Buick'?

when the car had just bolt ons it went 12.2 @ 112 with the tires spinning with a sh*tty 60ft time of a 1.8 do to the old slicks and the fact that moroso does a horrible job of prepping that track
Awesome. So with just bolt-ons you went 12.2? Congrats, that's a good time. Oh, could I have some of those excuses so that I could run maybe.....oh.....an 11.8 with bolt-ons? Thanks a million.

now I also have southsides out back which should help a bit.
I don't like SSM's - they hit the tires too hard with a manual - of course, your car is an automatic, which makes a world of difference.

You have a nice night. Bye bye now. :)

Honestly, Bob if I came across as an A**hole to you than to bad:mad:. I just think it is pretty funny how I make a few points that your fellow mustang owner left out about your car and you jump on me trying to justify everything... You must be one serious racer with that attitude... You seemed to be the one looking down on me IMO... Really I don't care what you think I just called upon some things that you had in your sig. which maybe you should have left alone if you didn't want to get into a so called pissing match... If you really want to make me look bad than maybe you should race me since you are some kind of pro or class racer... I know how much it means to beat on the little turbo V6 with your mustang seeing how you guys are rarely sucessful at doing it on the street... but then again I'm not in your class so I guess you'll have to pass... your just to good for me... if your in South Florida maybe you could come to moroso and see the GTs running consistent 15.0s... don't forget the GTs come with autos last time I checked... Finally Bob you should have a sense of humor being that your name is Bob Cousby... remember JELLO... I love the Cousby show!!!:D :D Tell me one thing though, how do you fit the hole family in the Cumstang... maybe Bob should have bought a Buick LOL!!!:D :D

Oh I'm sorry Bob the name of the guy in the show and on the jello commercials is Bill just wanted to catch that before you jump on me... Every buddy can't be so perfect and wordy or verbose as you would say, so I guess I'm sorry for that Mr. Cosby I spelled it wrong the first time, but then again I'm sure you would have caught it LOL!!! My final word in this GN vs Mustang encounter is YAWN!!!:) :)

Bob DID run that number I was there that day. He unfortunately broke on a pass running against me, which was poor cuz I was waiting for him to come hauling past me down the track. By the way, have you got it back together yet?

Ok I didnt really read all the posts before I startd typing this. BSBox, just relax a little and stop the name calling. I dont think Bob said he was an end all be all PRO racer. He said hes a class racer-cant just throw whatever he wants too at the car. I think he has that thing flying for a bolt on car And a slow 4.6 at that. :D Im not the biggest fan of mustangs (not hardly) but he defintely gets my respect. If you think they are so slow (some of which are, some aint) then he deserves even more respect for making it run like it does. From where I come from ANY bolton car in the 11s is pretty respectable. Oh yeah, and I have personally seen a white 99 GT 5 speed run consistant high 13.8s here at Capitol, bone stock.

Blackshoebox...I will leave you with a couple of thoughts. First...never said I could be you. Never implied it either - yet you consistently go back to that defense. It is a silly thing to do, and bespeaks of youth (either mental or physical). That's ok, as I'm sure you can't help it.

I also never said anything about being a 'Pro' or whatever. From your response, it can be assumed that the point I was trying to make went right over your head. I suppose I should have explained more last night. Oh well. You keep smiling there. :)

FYI...I almost bought a brand new 87 GN back in the spring of 88 (left-over, sitting on a lot). Only thing that kept me from doing it was money - I simply couldn't afford $17k vice the $12k my Mustang Coupe ended up costing me. I really, really like TR's. I've been around them - on the street and the track - for the 15 years that the intercooled versions have been around. I'd love to have one - but its just not in the cards right now. I have lots of friend with GN's - some on this Forum.

So you just go on thumping your chest and flapping your wings. Have a good time, and when you can accept that other folks like other cars and can run decent with not much money, then come back and talk to me. BTW....that's a nice way of saying 'grow up, kid'. :D

Black&Buick....was that you in the lane beside me when I clobbered the tranny going into 3rd? Z28, right? Nice car buddy. Sucks that I broke - but that's racing. Will likely happen again sometime.

Have a good one!

Bob, i've been to englishtown nj, lebenon valley drag, atco speedway, and new england dragway of which all have better air quality then where you race and i have NEVER seen 13.9 on a stock 99-01 gt. your a ford guy and your gonna defend you blue oval and thats fine. your car runs great andits by no means a pooch but i gotta call you out on the 13.9 bit. show me a video with one doing it and make me a beleiver. i think they are and always will be 14 sec sleds.

Bob your Mustang is fast for what it is so whatever, I really just thing it is rare to see a newer 4.6 with just bolt ons in the 11's without a poweradder, but you have one running the number so I guess everybody will eventually :rolleyes:. Also you never responded to the fact that the GT stangs can be had with autos and they are much slower has I have seen good drivers running 15s and 14s believe it or not... I never expected you to believe this as Matt said because you are in the Ford camp and if you own it, it definitely ain't slow... also the buicks can be slow if not tuned or if it is just not running right... some cars just aren't as fast as the other ones because not every car runs under the same conditions... One reason I am not a Ford fan is the fact that the 99 Cobras when they first came out were completely dogs and couldn't even beat a stock GT as several mags tested... also they were getting stomped on the street by base model Z28s and hell the hondas were probably having fun with them... my friends Uncle purchased one not knowing Ford was having these problems and when he went back after going to the track with it and seeing how poorly it performed the dealer said there is nothing wrong with it... Finally after enough people b*tched and complained and threatened to sue ford solved this exisiting problem... After this hole fiasco I will never own a FORD... FIXED OR REPAIRED DAILY... have a nice day BOB and good luck with your very RARE fast bolt on Slobra!!! :)

From what I have personally seen LS1 cars-mid 13's, 4.6 cars-mid 14's. Enough said.:D

Bob one other thing you should know is the best bang for the buck from ford is the Lightning... much more hp and tq and I have seen these TRUCKS running high 13s stock... especially the 2001 which have like 380hp and 460tq... with little mods I have seen them running mid to low 13s and the one night I was there one 2001 red lightning ran a 12.8 at 105... I was pretty impressed considering they aren't aerodynamic and they easily weigh 4300lbs... also they look really badass and if you go horsepower and torque per dollar they beat just about everything in the new car market... so basically if I was into fords I think I'd be driving a truck... just my HUMBLE opinion!!!:cool:

Matt..."call me out"all you want. Narrow-mindedness will get you far in life. Really - it will. But if you decide to expand a bit, go over to one of the many Mustang sites and ask them. I realize that is likely below your standards, but what the heck.

Blackshoebox...yup, GT's are available with Auto's. What is your point? Cobra's are not. Auto GT's are typically 3-5 tenths slower than a well-driven manual. Again, I see no point here. I'm not argueing that. And you entire lecture about the 99 Cobra's, LS1's, etc, is about 2 years too late for me. Been there - done that, got the shirt, the car, and the timeslips. Had a 99 T/A for a while. Very nice car, just didn't float my boat. Almost bought a GN instead - but wanted something newer. Different strokes for different folks kid. You'll learn some day. I have faith. :)

For everybody else here....please excuse my momentary lack of maturity. :)

PS....I love the Lightning. Seen many in the 12's with next to nothing. Unfortunatly, I can't afford one, and have no place for another vehicle if I could afford another.

Status
Not open for further replies.