after new fuel pump, same problem

svtnos

well i put in my new walbro fuel pump in tonight along with the hotwire kit. at WOP the car still feels like it is stuttering. i put new spark plugs in last week and i also changed the fuel filter tonight. these are the other mods the car has... fuel pressure regulator, 3inch stainless steel exhaust, no cat (test pipe), k&n air cleaner, and a kenne bell chip... what is the next thing i should look at? i changed a few vacuume hoses cause they were kinda shot... i noticed this problem started happening after changing that y shaped vacuume line that one part goes to the back of the turbo and another vaucuume line... i bought the correct size hose which if im not mistaken is 7/32s.. but the guy i bought it from put on a 5/32s on there since he already had that... could the smaller vacuume hose do that? the motor has 66k miles on it and was sitting for a while... the fuel pressure with the vacuum line off is about 47psi. could it bee too much fuel? well thanks for your help!

the guy has a scanmaster we are going to put on hopefully this weekend too...

Be certain that the 'straight thru' part of your 'Y' connector goes to the compressor side of the turbo, and the other to the WG actuator.....you didn't plug that extra tit on the red WG solenoid on the p/s valve cover by any chance did you....
Report back with the SM readings.
HTH
Jim

cool, ill check stuff tomarrow and post up after i check all that... if not that, what else should i check?

Are you sure it isn't knock or detonation? Do you have an aftermarket boost gage? What is your boost?

ya i have a boost gauge that im going to install later this afternoon... ill see what the boost is at. i dont hit WOP at all because im afraid to hurt the car. i only tried it yesterday because i wanted to see if the new fuel pump was the problem but it wasnt. if it is knocking, is it over boosting? are the kenne bell chips any good? im not sure how boost this chip gives me... do chips ever go bad? i have the stock chip that im going to put in and see what happend with that chip. what are the boost levels of a stock chip? thanks for your help everyone :) this board has been really cool and a great learning experience

Breakin up?/

Could be the valve springs at 66,000 and it sitting a while.. Could be the coil/module too...
Loose the KB chips and get a newer design..:D :D

i wanna test the coil packs today.. how can i check if the valve springs went to crap? what chips to you all recommend?

springz?/

Trust me, at 66,000 mi/15 yrs, and sitting w/ some of the valves open for an extended period of time, it's time to change them.. Don't bother to test the old ones, just change them..:cool:

There are several GOOD chip guys.. Jay Carter and Jim Testa are the guys I use....

Test the coils and module w/ a Casper's tester, not a VOM..

Still poping

When you changed the plugs, did you change wires too? The reason I ask is if you hurt the wire (any one of them) it will pop. Same thing just recently happened to me. Brand new motor, put my mega pro heat gaurd super condutor MSD wires on (I changed the boots on the coil pack end of them and when I pulled I must have hurt one, although they ohm just fine) anything over 12# boost car backfires. "CAN'T BE MY SUPER WIRES" yea right. I changed coil pack & module and put on some old jacobs wires I have for spares, and the car ripped! "ahh must have been the coil & module, let's put the good looking "SUPER WIRES" back on, back on the road -- hang on, KABOOM, SON OF A B%#@%! it is the wires!!! Make a long story longer,OHM metering wires doesn't always work, if you have some old ones try em. I've also had it happen on a customers car because of a MAF that was junk, but looked alright on OTC. It pays to have a spare EVERYTHING! Good luck, hope this helps!;)

i didnt change the wires but my friend has a spare set... ill try that! thanks again everyone! the more ideas the better! it does sound like backfire to me but im new to these cars so im not sure how things sound for these cars but im trying to learn

Hey guys. I've been helping ron with his car as much as I can. I'm no GN expert, but the first thing that comes to mind with the problem hes haveing is ignition. I had that "popping" happen to my supercharged lightning(it's a gen1) when I first put the supercharger on and had the FMU lines reversed exactly like the instructions illistrate, I was getting so much fuel I was washing out the spark. I don't think thats whats happening here though, but thats still an ignition problem(the spark being washed out) and had the exact same result, so thats why I think what I think here, I think. :p

just wondering if anyone might have some more info for me? im going to try and check some things on the car right now... thanks :cool:

Did you check the coil pack and module? Plug wires? You really need to do that or swap with known good ones. 47 psi seems too high to me, might wanna go down to 41-42 fp line off. Check the crank and cam sensor.

im going to swap plug wires and test the coils today... as long as my buddy comes through today. i was thinking that the fuel was too high so ill do that on my own and see if that helps at all. could it be the motor is getting too much fuel? i had a similar problem with the stang once.. too much fuel. thanks!

I am NOT the expert here, but 47 psi is too much. I would swap chips too, but my money is on the module/coil pack. What kind of plugs and what did you gap them at? How much boost are you running and what octane fuel? All of this is very important.

the plugs im using are the ac delco's... i forgot the model number but its the one that everyone is using... i turbed the fuel pressure back to to 42psi with the vacuum line off... put the line back on and its still doing that. my friend hasnt come by yet with some plug wires yet. he said he also has some new coil packs we can put in to see if they are the problem. are there certain kinds of coil packs i should get? i want to replace mine regardless since the car was sitting for a while... thanks again

Stock coil pack will work fine, keep the gaps tight on plugs 32-35 ths, my money is on the wires! If not though, I've seen modules too that run fine till you boost it. Try to get a spare one of those too! (I thought I saw someone on this site selling them for 35$)Good deal! Good luck dude.

im going to regap the plugs tomarrow at 32 and see if that takes care of it. i was talking with my friend with a supra turbo and gave him a ride so he can hear what the car was doing... he said it sounds like its miss firing and suggested try the easy things first like regapping plugs, new wires, and new coil packs... my other friend who couldnt make it over today said he has new wires and coil packs so im going to try that tomarrow too. hopefully its one of those 3 things that are bad ;)

I knew it was ignition related gal darn it :cool: . Hey ron, just throw a few plug wires from the stang on the GN ;) :D .