Aftermark engine management system – nice to have or need to have?

syclone98

After a long hiatus from the GN community, I’m just starting to build two project cars (86 & 87) that I purchased recently. The primary reason for this thread is to determine whether purchasing an aftermarket system like DFI, XFI or BS3 falls into the category of nice to have or need to have.

Since I also have an 07 Corvette which I tweak with an HP Tuner (someone else did the primary tune for me), it’s easy to get a little spoiled with the number of different values you can control when compared to a stock GN ECM. At the same time however, having that kind of control over an engine can get pretty overwhelming at times as the learning curve is pretty steep. While I know from tuning the Corvette that it’s nice to have control over so many different aspects of the car, I also know that at the same time my motor *should* have the capability to go almost (if not just) as fast with just a decent carburetor. I also know this is true with the GN as many people have cars that are insanely fast while still running only the stock ECM and a custom chip.

I have different goals for each of the two GNs as one will be a daily driver and the other will be used primarily at the track. The common goal between the two cars however is that regardless of the type of turbo I run or injector size or any other performance upgrade that I have, I’d like to know that I’m always getting as much performance out of the car as is possible.

In case anyone has noticed that this thread is also in the Performance ECM section, that was actually done on purpose. What I was hoping for was to hear from people who are very familiar with these systems as well as people who had considered one but decided against it, or even had one but later decided it wasn’t worth the extra money (and that they should have invested in something else like a bigger turbo as an example) and subsequently would have little to no reason to frequent the ECM forum.

So what’s the verdict? Nice to have? Need to have? Or somewhere in the middle?

Thanks for reading,
Christopher

If you want the absolute most out of them, I think you "need" something like a FAST or BS3 set up. I have FAST now and it would be the first upgrade on any car like this I buy in the future for max power.

Well... I'm working on something that might let you use the HPTuners on the Turbo6. I'm adapting an L67 3800 FWD Supercharged motor ECM onto my 4.1L V6. So far the swap over parts list looks like this
Cam Sensor: LC2, need to repin the harness or sensor
Crank Sensor: Series I, otherwise known as the "Quick Start"
ICM: L67
TPS: Either one looks like it will work, an L67 would require minor fab, see t6p.com - Turbo Buick Regal Resource for details
IAC: L67 with an Injection Connection adapter block
Coolant: L67
Fuel Pressure: L67, haven't tackled how this one will interface yet, guessing inline with the fuel feed in a gauge tap block
MAF: Any late GM will work if wired in and tuned for
Injectors: again High Impedence late GM
Knock: L67, there are 2, I've not messed with the code to see if you can turn one off or otherwise delete it
VSS: Painless 60115 or 60116 (2 or 4 pulse per rev, not a big worry so not researched well)
O2: I'm planning wideband with analog out, L67 stock will work
MAP: DHP supported a 3-bar with thier powertuner but HPTuners I don't know, L67 is 2-bar stock
Oil Pressure, Oil Level, Coolant Level: don't know if they are ECM routed but if they are and undisablable, shouldn't be too hard to add them to the respective parts
ECM: L36 or L67 98+
Harness: L36 or L67 98+

My engine is pre-emissions so I don't have to worry about the charcoal canister purge, EGR solenoid or 2nd O2 so that stuff will be disabled. The trans stuff is disablable to use a hydromechanical or manual transmission though you could try to keep trans pressure, temp, and the TCC function if you got creative with mounting the senders since the TCC would require someway of telling the trans is in 3rd or 4th since I think it locks in both and have to edit the lock table to take out the PWM stuff or get a kevlar clutched converter. I'm months away from getting mine working since I'm trying to sell my '97.5 Regal GS so I can buy the G-body I want as a test bed for this. Will keep all posted.

Max Power

My opinion is if you plan on max power out of your track car the FAST is the way to go. Although I like the idea being discussed by CTX and th deciding factor for me is how much trouble do I have to go through and what is the cost avoidance.

Of course only you can determine this, but as I mentioned for me I know the EMS route is the only route.

The stock ECM has been down into the 10s. I'd say that it'd be nice to have the adjustability of a stand-alone system, but on anything other than a track-only car it might be a waste.

All depends on how you look at it. Depending on how long you plan on keeping the car and how you plan on developing your platform. A stand alone is well worth the money in aggravation avoidance, convenience on dyno tuning, cost of burning a chip and not to mention the fact that you can tune for gas mileage.

Plus it's just plain good in helping you truly understand how that motor is running.