Aftermarket temp gauge

Jimmyboost87

Can someone please help? I'm Not sure if the factory pigtail should stay connected to the sensor when installing an aftermarket coolent temp gauge. I changed the temp sensor to the one included in the autometer box. Should I just put the factory pigtail to the side? Is it needed?

Thank you for the reply...So its ok to replace that sensor with the one supplied with the gauge? I thought that sensor was for the ECU

No! You don't replace the coolant temp sensor you remove the dummy light switch and put the gauge sender in its placed. The coolant temp sensor has a 2 wire connector and the dummy light switch has a single wire. You can leave the single wire disconnected. The switch is located near the thermostat housing on the front of the intake manifold. There is yet another switch located on the top right of the manifold. That is for the coolant fan timer relay and has a single wire also. You could put the gauge sender there but the other location is preferred.

thank you so much.. Ok so leaving temp sensor w/two wires and also leaving the fan relay sensor w/single green wire on top next to the throtle body... I didn't know there was a third place where the dummy light switch was located?? Or am I misunderstanding?? Is it the single green wire I'm going to tap into? That's where I had it and the gauge wouldn't work.. I changed that sensor to the one that came with the gauge and put the green wire and my new gauge wire. I'm Guessing that's wrong??

Temp switch and coolant temp sensor are right by the thermostat housing. I belive the temp switch is to the left of the themostat housing. Unscrew the coolant switch and screw the new temp gauge sender in that location. Leave the temp switch wire disconnected and run a new wire from the new gauge sender back to your gauge. A good place to run the wire is through the speedometer cable grommet.

I prefer to remove the high speed fan switch facing up on the manifold. That way the idiot light will still work, the disconnected wire can be ran to a manual fan switch, and the fan will still run on high since the resistor is jumped out on the fan shroud.

So this morning I looked.... There are 3 sensors for you other beginners... The one the gauge gets hooked up to is the one to the left of the thermostat housing.
(Green wire)... Guys thanks again for all the help.

Technically there's one sensor and two switches.

Never remove the multiwire sensor. The ECM needs that one. The other two turn on the idiot light and the high speed fan (at something stupid high like 220*)

Yeah I was getting so confused.. I called Kirban he schooled me a bit. And this forum as well. I tapped into the two wires for the ECM and my chech engine light came on so I kn that wasn't right. But now it's all good. Now for the oil pressure gauge! Lol. I tapped into the tan wire for that one. Hope that's right.

It's not. That's a switch too.

You'll have to plumb in a tee to accept the correct sending unit for your gauge.

That was the only thing I didn have a problem with. I actually had the whole top of motor apart with no problems. It's just when it comes to electronic stuff I get stumped easy.

Waiting for my new TA49 turbo..
Did the 43lb injectors,
3" Downpipe, new typoon fuel regulator that's rated @43lbs and a turbotweek chip.. I have the the full exhaust and new fuel pump and hot wire kit just waiting to get some money together to have it put in. The car should be a beast with that set up I'm thinking. I started with a stock Ttype

Yes I forgot to add that to the list. That too I gotta hook up. Also alradco radiator too. That should be here any day now. Hey do you think I should replace the thermostat to a 180?