Aftermarket temp gauge

ok so I'm trying to hook up the pressure gauge and it seems like I can only hook up the aftermarket gauge and not both... Do I even need the factory gauge? Is it ok to leave it unconnected??

You need to buy what is called a "street" tee. One end is male and screws in where you took the factory switch out. You then screw the pressure gauge sender into one of the female openings on the T and the factory switch into the other opening on the T.

That is what a street T looks like. Disregard the $43 price. You can get a brass one at a hardware store for a lot less.

You need to buy what is called a "street" tee. One end is male and screws in where you took the factory switch out. You then screw the pressure gauge sender into one of the female openings on the T and the factory switch into the other opening on the T.

Ok that makes sence. Thanks again for the help.

The reason for that "t" fitting is so you can install the factory oil sending unit and the aftermarket one. If you don't have a hotwire off the back of the alternator to the fuel pump then the factory oil sending unit will still energize the fuel pump if the fuel pump relay on the passenger fender should fail. If you have a hotwire then ignore everything I just said. Like everybody else here, I have a hotwire and to test this theory I disconnected the fuel pump relay. Car started right up. That relay was all corroded and gunked up. Probably has been that way for 10 years or more.

The factory oil sender will energize the hotwire for both common hotwire setups.

1) The racetronix setup where the Hotwire relay is back at the tank and
2) any hotwire that uses the test port

Hey jimmy do u happen to have a pic of where u hooked up ur temp gauge ? I'm trying to install mine as well but a pic would b nice

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hey jimmy do u happen to have a pic of where u hooked up ur temp gauge ? I'm trying to install mine as well but a pic would b nice

It's actually really easy.. I don't have a pic right now and the car is getting a converter. But I'll make it real easy for ya.

Step1. Locate your thermostat, remove any intake hoses and stuff so you can work.

Step2. Remove the "dummy" light right to the left of the thermostat and put you new sender that came with the gauge. Yes you can leave the factory plug unplugged. That was one of my concerns.

Step3. Run your wires and your done. Let me know if this helped. I get the car back tomorrow I'll try and take a photo. But follow those step it's not bad. Any other questions just ask.

Thanks jimmy that does help a lot I do have another question where are u running ur white wire for lighting up the gauges to? Do u run all ur gauges lighting wire to the same 12v source?

Thanks jimmy that does help a lot I do have another question where are u running ur white wire for lighting up the gauges to? Do u run all ur gauges lighting wire to the same 12v source?

You can tap right into the radio fuse unde the dash or behind the radio. If you want you gauge to dim than use the illuminate wire on the radio I believe. Ground is there too.

How many gauges can in tap into that illuminate wire ? I have 3 gauges I want to b able to dim is it safe to get all 3 tapping into it?

How many gauges can in tap into that illuminate wire ? I have 3 gauges I want to b able to dim is it safe to get all 3 tapping into it?

Your going to need the power from the fuse to power the gauge it self. Use the dim wire on the back of the radio just for the lights. That's the way I did it. I think that the dim wire but I can't remember 100% better check with a radio installer and tell them what your trying to do.

Ah ok I think I got the lighting figured out but didn't think about the power one for the gauge itself where did u run that wire to ? Did u run it in the fuse box into one of the ignition slots?

Ah ok I think I got the lighting figured out but didn't think about the power one for the gauge itself where did u run that wire to ? Did u run it in the fuse box into one of the ignition slots?

Personally I ran it to the radio fuse but yes the ignition slots would work too

Thanks for ur patience with all my questions lol I just hate messing with anything electrical and want to make sure I do this right .... So u ran it to ur radio fuse meaning u tapped into the wire that goes from radio to fuse or what do u mean by that ?

Thanks for ur patience with all my questions lol I just hate messing with anything electrical and want to make sure I do this right .... So u ran it to ur radio fuse meaning u tapped into the wire that goes from radio to fuse or what do u mean by that ?

I just simply twisted the power wire around one side of the fuse and pluges it back in. You can do it any way you like though