Alky is on the 03 Regal GS

wh1-Denver

Julio aka Razor does it again. A kit for the wifes 03 Regal GS.
Current mods are 3.25 pulley, gutted airbox with K&N panel, SLP headers, test pipe, and SLP exhaust.
We were seeing 5 deg of KR without alky.
With the alky 0 deg.

I am going to install a 3.0 and a 2.75 pulley and run tests and I will post the results later.

Is that nozzle on a 90 degree elbow instead of firing across the airstream?

If so, what made you go with that setup?

Logistics one, two was I wanted to assure alcohol was not going to be sprayed on the MAF, and this way its directed with the air stream using a mist nozzle.

The nozzle isnt very deep, so mounting was going to be an issue. and unlike our GN's that have a turbo forcing air across the nozzle, this just made sense. There is an airflow obstruction cuased by having the nozzle in the airflow path, but I believe its going more than compensated by the increased performance and boost being run.

Autotap confirmed knock readings before alky, and no knock readings after.

Plus it involved no cutting into the blower or vehicle. That car can be returned to 100% original.

There is always some tradeoffs involved. What can I say :)

The pages to the GS book were blank when it comes to this vehicle, we are just filling in pages one day at a time. ;)

Sounds great!

I'll be watching this new setup of yours VERY closely. Have you priced it out yet?

Sweet,

I am planning plumbing in dual jets to the upper intake. It is deeper into the engine and under the SC, but I will have it all off anyway for another install.

Razor has been helpful. I sourced a solenoid and I will probably end up getting the tube assemblies from McMaster just because I am in a bit of a time crunch.

Originally posted by 87natl
Sounds great!

I'll be watching this new setup of yours VERY closely. Have you priced it out yet?

Becuase of the extra solenoid, extra hose length, the phenolic plate, labor associated in fabbing the bracketry, mounting the nozzle into the plate, extra fittings, driver for the solenoid, initial price will be 640.00.

If the buyer fabs some of the stuff themselves, the price will come down accordingly.

Great to hear they make a scanmaster for the GS.. awesome.. after driving that car.. i'm hooked.

Originally posted by TurboBob
There is a scanmaster that runs on the GS's........

:)

Bob

sweet...i assume it'll work on the gtp's also?

my roommate has one...

Bob,
I have a ScanMaster in my 03 GS.
Awesome product, as usual!
Brian Hofer

Won't alky eat away at the teflon coating on the supercharger vanes?

Good question, maybe/probably/who knows. But one thing for sure running high boost and getting KR will destroy the bearings in the motor. So if the teflon comes off.. but you can save the motor from a rebuild, while running higher boost. You see the pro vs cons I guess.

How bout this way, lets say you spend 5 dollars a gallon for 100 octane unleaded. And filled the tank so you can play with the car, what would it cost for 6 months driving? I bet that blower will be less. And if the teflon came off, wouldnt the alcohol seal the rotors. As it is, the car makes more boost when you spray alcohol into the blower with no other changes due to the alcohol sealing the vanes I guess.... guess we'll have to see months from now what the effects are. If any?

Paul Jerkatis with PRJ Performance has been involved with the 3.8 SC motors for quite some time and has also sprayed on his own car. I contacted him regarding the teflon delaminating. His response was that all of the supercharges end up delaminating due to the excessive heat they generate. He has seen this in all of the supercharges that he has taken apart. But he did say that is was in some areas it was gone and in others it was still on. He said the teflon film is so thin on the rotors and GM original used it to seal the gap between the blades. He said that when you spray the alky it would actually help seal the blades by a thin film of the alky fluid/vapors. I to was concerned when I researched the affects of spraying alky before the blower, but after talking with him and the fact that all the Supercharges he has seen were delaminating even without the alky I was convinced that it would not be an issue. He said that it worked great, a 2.75 pulley on pump gas and no knock.