All out top speed in a TR.

In my own personal experience, the front end comes off the ground at about 135 and you can't steer anymore. Going faster than that is an aero problem, not a power and gearing problem.

In my own personal experience, the front end comes off the ground at about 135 and you can't steer anymore. Going faster than that is an aero problem, not a power and gearing problem.

This is why the 1st item on my list of qualifications factors in how long you can stay on the throttle before you piss your self. :eek:

I just tried the calculations on the first link you provided. It seems it would require about 750 HP to get a TR to 200 MPH. It doesn't ask us for transmission information. It only asks us for make and model. So, I'm assuming they are using stock gearing and transmission info.

It appears if I had a 4 speed transmission, and the biggest balls on planet earth, my car may have the capability of breaking the 200 MPH barrier.

Yea, I don't see that happening.

Great thread.
In my yearly pilgrimage to the Bonneville salt flats, I've gotten the chance to wrench on some neat stuff. A roadster, a late model Firebird, a lakester and a streemliner. All of them had mphs over 300, and most hold records.

I have always pondered what it would take to take the title of "The fastest stock bodied G-body Regal". First of all, I don't even know what that number is. A few have gone over 200 mph in the quarter mile. Some day, I may take a run at it.

Things to ponder. Land speed racing (LSR) is much different than quarter mile racing. Most drag cars go faster as the air gets cooler and denser. In LSR, most of the faster cars run better in the heat, as the air is thinner and has less drag, even though the engine is making less horse power.
Drag race heads, maximize air flow, by sacrificing water jacket design and flow to do it. This will heat soak on a long run. In drag racing, you run all out for seconds. In LSR, you must run all out for minutes in 100 degree plus temps sometimes.

So, what is the "Fastest" a stock bodied, G-body Regal has ever gone?

WARNING: Salt fever is real.:wtf:
Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Great thread.
In my yearly pilgrimage to the Bonneville salt flats, I've gotten the chance to wrench on some neat stuff. A roadster, a late model Firebird, a lakester and a streemliner. All of them had mphs over 300, and most hold records.

I have always pondered what it would take to take the title of "The fastest stock bodied G-body Regal". First of all, I don't even know what that number is. A few have gone over 200 mph in the quarter mile. Some day, I may take a run at it.

Things to ponder. Land speed racing (LSR) is much different than quarter mile racing. Most drag cars go faster as the air gets cooler and denser. In LSR, most of the faster cars run better in the heat, as the air is thinner and has less drag, even though the engine is making less horse power.
Drag race heads, maximize air flow, by sacrificing water jacket design and flow to do it. This will heat soak on a long run. In drag racing, you run all out for seconds. In LSR, you must run all out for minutes in 100 degree plus temps sometimes.

So, what is the "Fastest" a stock bodied, G-body Regal has ever gone?

WARNING: Salt fever is real.:wtf:
Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard
So Mike,

It appears as if you may be reinforcing the disappointing reality that our street/drag Buicks could not easily be set-up for a highway blast approaching the 200 MPH zone. I have crawled my TR up to 120 +/- on very unusual occasions on the highways in this area. I'll be honest, I don't like it at all! This is why I no longer drive it at the track.

Although, I know on a dragway things are different. The car is dug-in and the chassis is loaded. Brian says it feels fine. But not for me.

Even so, I know I have the power to creep it up if so much further. That is, If I had the balls to do so. This is why I'm curious about the potential of our set-ups.

I guess when approaching these speeds, whether you have the HP or not, thing are getting a bit hairy. Without significant down force, air deflectors, aerodynamic changes, or suspension modifications, it's only a matter of time before something goes bad.

I once posted in the kill section about my highway encounter with a group of exotics. It went well. I crushed the new Corvette and Ferrari. But, it got real scary just before I let off and even more scary as I attempted to make a slight curve ahead. I guess we should leave that sort of stuff to them guys.

What is the fastest some of you guys have gone on the street?

If one wanted to do land speed stuff in a G-Body, go find a Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2. The exact profile was used for the NASCAR version of the vehicle (they still used OE body panels back then) and it's stable well past 200MPH.

UNGN on here has (had?) one with a 502 in it he used to run in the Texas mile and other speed/distance events. I don't know how much he comes around here anymore, but if you want to go fast for long periods on one of these chassis, I'd pick his brain since he's done it.

You can make anything go "fast" with enough money and horsepower.

Joey,
Let's mod your twin turbo car with an air to water IC, packed full of ice water. Put it on a diet on E-85. lower the thing to the ground. I've got a Liberty 5 speed over at the shop we could use. A few more safety things will need to be addressed, but with the right tires and gear, we could make it a 200 plus mph car. When do we get started? :)

I think your Buick would look bad ass with a set of moons on it.

In all seriousness, it is my dream to someday do this...
I may not be able to have the quickest TB on the planet, but I feel that the title of "Fastest G-Body Buick on Earth" is not far that out of reach.

Mike B.

Last edited:
It seems it would require about 750 HP to get a TR to 200 MPH. It doesn't ask us for transmission information. It only asks us for make and model. So, I'm assuming they are using stock gearing and transmission info.

It appears if I had a 4 speed transmission, and the biggest balls on planet earth, my car may have the capability of breaking the 200 MPH barrier.
rear gearing, transmission,stance weight distribution,suspention and tires among other things are huge.

rear gearing, transmission,stance weight distribution,suspention and tires among other things are huge.

One must not forget about the all important "Down Force".

At this point, I feel that down force would be the biggest factor of me not being able to run well over 200 mph.

The down force of my wives hand, holding my wallet firmly in my pocket, every time I tried to remove it, to buy the parts needed.:D

Mike B.

lets just say I have been in a tr over 160mph:)what would you like to know.
You did this casually on a highway? If so, then yes, I have a question.........

How are you still alive?

If you tell me it wasn't that bad and it felt like a simple Sunday cruise, you, my friend are one bad-ass dude!

Joey,
Let's mod your twin turbo car with an air to water IC, packed full of ice water. Put it on a diet on E-85. lower the thing to the ground. I've got a Liberty 5 speed over at the shop we could use. A few more safety things will need to be addressed, but with the right tires and gear, we could make it a 200 plus mph car. When do we get started? :)

Oh no. Here we go again. Standard Buick Hot-Rod culture. After I'm done putting it together..........take it apart and start all over again.:woot:

It would be fun though. Just think how bad-ass intimidating this would be on the street! I mean, Wow! A Buick like this would scare the crap out of anyone!

If you tell me it wasn't that bad and it felt like a simple Sunday cruise, you, my friend are one bad-ass dude!
actually it was pretty eventfull,besides the car having a lot of front end float,the bumper fillers cracked apart,window popped off track somewhere above 160:eek:drove right through it though.for the guys with the front end bra's (yup remember those) had one of those rip right off too.the wind up stairs is really pounds out these cars,the tires are huge are too big difference between a soft sidewall tire and a high speed tire.the front end wants to lift with the stiff tire but with the soft tire the car rolls arounds and becomes a challenge to drive;)

Back in 88 I raced a C4 Vette on the parkway and I got out of it when the ass end started feeling real high and wiggley. The guy in the Vette said we hit 145 MPH on his digital speedo. That's all I got...

Cool! Says 205 mph. I think I remember a drag car going 207 once. It might have been Kenny Duttweiler.

Anyone got anything faster than 205 as the fastest a stock bodied, Gbody Regal has gone?

Cool! Says 205 mph. I think I remember a drag car going 207 once. It might have been Kenny Duttweiler.

Anyone got anything faster than 205 as the fastest a stock bodied, Gbody Regal has gone?
Take a look at in the video that comes up after that. John Rains 284 MPH in a Buick V6 twin turbo!!!!