All out top speed in a TR.

Back in 88 I raced a C4 Vette on the parkway and I got out of it when the ass end started feeling real high and wiggley. The guy in the Vette said we hit 145 MPH on his digital speedo. That's all I got...
Well, that's a lot more than me. So how did it feel?

I've been 155+ in my G8 and it wasn't too bad except it did seem like my hood was going to fly off. I think this speed in my GN would be much shakier. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That video didn't come up for me. Can you post a link?

Mike B.
Do you still think having the all out fastest TR in the land is achievable for you and I?
If so, when do we get started? I think we need to gently brake the news to our significant others.

That don't sound like a Turbo Buick V6 to me. Great run though. He got quite squirrely in first and second gear (typical). Broke the tires loose on the 2/3 shift, Settled in after that.
It takes about 1250 horse power and 5 miles to run a door slammer to 285. (best case scenario).

A few things needed to get you there. The first one is money.
Next, you need to figure out how to make the power. Cubic inches, RPM, and (or) boost. Our little engines lack the 500 plus CID, at 9000 rpms that I've seen that it takes to get that job done. Therefore, lots of boost would be needed. This makes lots of heat in that little engine.

I think 230-240 mph could be doable. That 285 pass would be more than twice as difficult with a 109 block.

That don't sound like a Turbo Buick V6 to me.
Late last night, I found another video. This one was of the motor in that car being started for just about 5 seconds or so. In the video, it was just a short test start without the turbos on it. And it very much appeared to be a Buick V6. I don't know how I was led to it and I can't find it again.

Safe to say that 200+mph is attainable with the right amount of horsepower and weight, but it's the rate of acceleration that would be the problem. Yes, it would eventually reach that speed, but how long will it take to get you there? Not to mention, 200+mph is ridiculously fast, I wouldn't try to get there with just a few upgrades to the G-Body, for me it would require an entire redo, something similar to the Skoal Bandit Regal in speed rate design...

fc568544.jpg

Late last night, I found another video. This one was of the motor in that car being started for just about 5 seconds or so. In the video, it was just a short test start without the turbos on it. And it very much appeared to be a Buick V6. I don't know how I was led to it and I can't find it again.

Yea. I found that one too. Is that in a Buick? Look at the roof line in the last seconds of this video. The roof line almost looks like a 2nd gen Camero.

What was the Scoal Bandit powered by? I high rpm V8, I would think.

In my hand full of years wrenching at Bonneville, I've wrenched on door slammers that went 285 on twelve hundred and fifty HP. I've also wrenched on vehicles that went 355 mph on only 800 HP. The difference? The drag coefficient. ;)

Last edited:
Many of the things that work in drag racing, don't work in LSR. That's the challenge and the fun.:)

You run that in the 1/4!!! lol

It felt real squirrely when I finally noticed what was going on. I was too busy looking over at the guy in the right lane. lol
Not me! No way. I'm a sucky dragracer. My friend Brian Cotton drives.
Besides, I think things are different when the chassis is loaded with torque and the tires are dug into a sticky track.

That's why I was interested in what it felt like in a real street situation.

I remembered an article I read back in the day, a top speed race between a NASCAR Gbody (Monte SS) and an IMSA Porsche 962. A bitch to find the article....but I found it in Mouse Over to Zoom Ebay example. lol

With 640 HP, 2.76 gears and all the cooling ducts plugged up, the 3700 lb Gbody hit.....240 MPH.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Top-Sp...834866?hash=item2a613a43f2:g:tbIAAOSwLVZV4zFB
I just skimmed through this article and it's a great read!
I'm all over the place with this. I think I changed my mind again.

You know?................After thinking about this a little more, I think that building a true 200 mph street TR may not be beyond the possible. I think the best way to start, maybe to consider using a set-up that is identical to the white GNX clone that GNS performance built. (another forum member owns this car now, doesn't he?).

Then, put my motor in it with all my extra modifications/additions that I have made for streetabilitty.

Then changing out the TH400 for a 4L80-E

Then testing it on a straightaway.

And only as needed............Then carefully choosing aerodynamic improvements that don't hack-up the standard TR body style. I would truly enjoy this part. I know that if given the time, with a sketch book and some basic experimentation, I could come up with something tasteful.

These modifications may include (but not limited to) lowering the car even further, a larger properly angled wing for down-force, deeper and more structurally adequate front and side air skirts, maybe some undercarriage baffling and enclosing.

I bet it wouldn't take much. But most important, it needs that euro-supercar style and feel. Not a "race car". And it has to be a driver.

I don't have the money to even consider this in the near future, but how hard can it be?