...and then there was GNX #548

How in the HELL can anyone contend GNX "548" is NOT a clone? GM doesn't recognize it, ASC/McLaren doesn't recognize (nor do they either recognize the X-Ray Clone) and neither are in the GNx registry? Are we in Alice in Wonderland?? That'd be like me saying I have a GN because it went down the same assembly line as the rest, was assembled by the same people, using original parts and it came off the line LOOKING like a GN. Funny thing is it's not recognized as a GN by General Motors and WILL NOT be counted as a real GN, in fact it wouldn't even be VIN'd as a GN, no different than someone doing the same thing to a non-GNX like #548. If someone tries to VIN #548 as a bona-fide GNX they're committing fraud on two levels....federal and state. So, if it's not VIN'd as a genuine GNX it's NOT a GNX. I'm sorry but the truth hurts.

I forgot to mention GM wouldn't have made an authentic window sticker for my "theoretical" GN, nor would ASC/McLaren make a genuine window sticker for a supposed GNx #548 either, or X-Ray for that matter. Without authentic VINs and authentic window stickers that positively concludes they're knock-off clones.

No one is hiding the story about how this car came to be, or trying to falsely state it's origins. It's story is actually more interesting than the 547.

It's history and the fact that it ran down the assembly line after hours and possibly even without executive authorization (who knows??) seem to make it a bit more special than a run-of-the-mill production vehicle.

Here's a question that I haven't seen before ,
Ok so we all know what parts make a Gnx however even the best clones do not have the cowl tag, now was the cowl tag installed at asc and at that point documented the vin to the Gn >Gnx transformation ?
How did the cowl tag come to be? And are the numbers in the tag directly related to that particular car ? Because it seems the cowl tag looks very generic
Your thoughts?

Crazy thread here.so is it a 1985 Gnx. Or they changed the vin to say 87.

No one is hiding the story about how this car came to be, or trying to falsely state it's origins. It's story is actually more interesting than the 547.

It's history and the fact that it ran down the assembly line after hours and possibly even without executive authorization (who knows??) seem to make it a bit more special than a run-of-the-mill production vehicle.
My point exactly the cars history is really worth the conversation in my book

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It’s a cool car. People should stop being killjoys. It’s a fun story to us fans.

D
that's all I was trying to do was share a part of Buick history with fellow Buick members

that's all I was trying to do was share a part of Buick history with fellow Buick members

Please keep sharing and forget about the haters.
Great car, great story and a "one of" with in the "548" no one can say that besides you.

By chance did you find the gnx plaque in the headliner. An what yr is this car?

someday I'm gonna sit down and let you guys in on the story of the unofficial GNX 549.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

You know what what, this is a fun and interesting story and I personally think the car would be worth more than a similar GN but less than a GNx. GNX's were VERY, VERY unique and not just because of their numbers. As another poster commented does the cowl tag VIN match the rest of the car? Does it have an authentic ASC/McLaren window sticker? How about the dealer delivery invoice stating it's a GNX? Where's the build sheet that's stashed in the door panel or under the seat? How about the VIN? Do those also indicate it's a bone-fide GNX? I'll bet the owner of this "so called GNX 548" MY 45,000 mile designer series Turbo-T they don't match or he's missing something authenticating it's originality. How about the GNx's owner's jacket and kit? And the dash, engine, transmission, rear axle, frame, and other hidden areas that mostly only law enforcement know about still exist....bet not. Want to take the bet? I know where to look for every single one of those VIN numbers. My car for your car....want to take the challenge? I'm willing to BET my car for your car that your "GNx #548" IS NOT a bona-fide ASC/McLaren - GM authorized GNx is nothing but a knock-off.

I'm tell my story about my exploits to make an authentic GNx # 666. It'll be run down the exact assembly line as the originals except it'll be made by the sons/daughters of the original manufacturers but with 100% authentic GNx parts.

You know what what, this is a fun and interesting story and I personally think the car would be worth more than a similar GN but less than a GNx. GNX's were VERY, VERY unique and not just because of their numbers. As another poster commented does the cowl tag VIN match the rest of the car? Does it have an authentic ASC/McLaren window sticker? How about the dealer delivery invoice stating it's a GNX? Where's the build sheet that's stashed in the door panel or under the seat? How about the VIN? Do those also indicate it's a bone-fide GNX? I'll bet the owner of this "so called GNX 548" MY 45,000 mile designer series Turbo-T they don't match or he's missing something authenticating it's originality. How about the GNx's owner's jacket and kit? And the dash, engine, transmission, rear axle, frame, and other hidden areas that mostly only law enforcement know about still exist....bet not. Want to take the bet? I know where to look for every single one of those VIN numbers. My car for your car....want to take the challenge? I'm willing to BET my car for your car that your "GNx #548" IS NOT a bona-fide ASC/McLaren - GM authorized GNx is nothing but a knock-off.
Your car is worthless to me no thanks I will pass :D

Crazy thread here.so is it a 1985 Gnx. Or they changed the vin to say 87.
If they changed the VIN from a 1985 onto a 1987 frame it's a state and federal crime. At best it must have a salvage VIN issued by the state's DOT/SOS/DMV.

Dude, chill out. The car is neat with a fun backstory. Let it ride. It's not like it's being peddled at Barrett-Jackson as being an absolutely authentic yet previously unknown GNX with faked supporting documentation. :rolleyes:

The story has been told and everyone knows it's a converted '85 GN that's about as close to being a real GNX as can be without actually being one. #548 it is. ;)

Dude, chill out. The car is neat with a fun backstory. Let it ride. It's not like it's being peddled at Barrett-Jackson as being an absolutely authentic yet previously unknown GNX with faked supporting documentation. :rolleyes:

The story has been told and everyone knows it's a converted '85 GN that's about as close to being a real GNX as can be without actually being one. #548 it is. ;)
End result is it is cool and will be pissing people off on a regular :D

IF.......the only reason you have , or bought this car, is because you feel it will
piss people off......... you need to grow up!.
this board does NOT need childish people like you here,
BUICK= fast with class.
somehow, you do not fit that category.

look up harold/ knife boy. see what happens!