Another Consensus RJC PowerPlate vs Hemco

MCH86GN

I have a mild build on my car and I was wondering what people think of the RJC power plate. I believe it does it's job correctly, as far as air distribution once it is passed. But I've also heard people say adding it raises their boost level, which is not a good thing. Logically it makes sense, you port everything and then you put this plate in and blocks air, but it distributes evenly to the cylinders. Maybe the tradeoff is worth it, your not leaning out cylinders and maybe that gives more power.

I'm still a newbie, so please cut me some slack if what I'm saying BS.

I would just like to know if I should go with hemco instead or is RJC's just fine?

Thanks in advance,
Charles

RJC plate in my car
went for a WOT blast @ 25# of boost and killed the #6 rod bearing?
My Alky wasn't primed But i still leaned out #6.
From my understanding the plate is suppose to prevent the leaning out of the rear cylinders. Not saying that the plate broke my motor (my mistake did)but every other bearing looked good just not #6.

Do i personally believe that it works? NO

BUT since the BIG dogs using factory intakes, plenum's and throttle bodies are using them, i'll use it in an effort to mimic their build in hopes of similar results.

You can only run as much boost as the weakest cylinder will allow. Even if the plate by itself cost you a few hp as is, the ability to increase the boost by evening out the air distribution will more than make up for it. Cars much faster than mine run them with good success so clearly it isn't a bottle neck atleast into the tens if not quicker. I was able to run 16ish lbs of boost with the plate on straight 93 when my car was mostly stock and I have no plans to remove it.

have to ask david
what was the condition of #6 bearing before the plate :rolleyes:

it doesnt raise your boost it distributes the air allowing the lean cylinders (5-6) to be better matched to the rich cylinders up front allowing you to run more boost
if you run say 16psi and try turning the boost up the rears are leaner than fronts the rear will start to knock first , thats your limit on boost tune for no knock
now even out the air to all cylinders to get better balance and the previously lean cylinders are now happy and dont knock and the rich ones actually arent as rich and all cylinders make better power if you arent knocking you could run more boost and many find they can add 2 or more psi than before on a stock motor

go to rjcs site and look up the plates and then click the tests ,look at the before and afte data , should make things clear, the best data test was from the PTE plenum , not so great without plate but with the plate its incredible how balanced it is, want to guess whats in my 87 ....
faq about power plates...http://www.rjcracing.com/rjctemp/adpp_questions.html
data tests .....http://www.rjcracing.com/rjctemp/flow_comparison.html
more stuff from jason..track test .. http://www.rjcracing.com/rjctemp/tracktesting.html

and as to it being a restriction yes it is in that it is cutting back flow to the rear and could increase plenum measured boost slightly but it also will increase performance as you are better balanced on all cylinders , as to being a restriction to performance measure the plate area and then compare it to the area of your stock 58mm Throttle body inlet or even a 70mm

pacecarta

I edited my post, disregard if you read before I edited. I just want to make sure I made a good decision. It's not like I'm running in the 8's. I know my stock intercooler is a bottleneck and I'm going swap it out if I have the cash.

Thanks.

Rjc p/p....

Good stuff. Jason put some time and effort into the design and performance of his plate. It works great for me. and I had the same problem w/forgetting to prime my alchy, but lost a h/g instead. Running 27-30#s.:eek: The gasket blew to the inside of the valley.:mad:

Good stuff. Jason put some time and effort into the design and performance of his plate. It works great for me. and I had the same problem w/forgetting to prime my alchy, but lost a h/g instead. Running 27-30#s.:eek: The gasket blew to the inside of the valley.:mad:

Good stuff man. I forgot to top off my alky and broke my crank. luckily I picked up a running motor for $600 minus lower and upper intake and TB. So I just used the short block since I ported heads. I got it running again, getting a WBO2 and powerlogger installed and maybe a better intercooler if I have the cash,