Another stock block in the 9's.....

Time to make some corrections!

Okay I talked to Orlando today and it looks like I was wrong about a few things about his motor... I originally said the motor has 2 center billet main caps, but it actually has the stock main caps (and before anybody asks... no girdle)! Also, it has the stock crank and rods as well as the stock rod bolts (I originally posted he had ARPs) and the pistons are actually .020 over Wisecos...

It's also important to note that the converter was way too loose and from the 1/8th mile on he was on the revlimiter... Considering that and the fact that it was pig rich (he could barely do a burnout without the car stalling) he thinks the car should have some 9.70's @ around 138mph in it when he gets a new tighter converter and leans it out!:cool:

Okay I talked to Orlando today and it looks like I was wrong about a few things about his motor... I originally said the motor has 2 center billet main caps, but it actually has the stock main caps (and before anybody asks... no girdle)!
Steve truly amazing. How long do you think this engine will last. The weakest part of these engines is the lower end, at those HP levels I do not see it lasting long with no girdle and no billet caps. :rolleyes:

Travis, Orlando ran low 10's for several years with the stock shortblock (down to the stock main caps) so I wouldn't doubt this one lasting a good while for him...

Originally posted by 86brick
Travis, Orlando ran low 10's for several years with the stock shortblock (down to the stock main caps) so I wouldn't doubt this one lasting a good while for him...

It just amazes me Steve. I ran my 109 block for a season at 23-25PSI and walked a crank and smoked some bearings. :eek: :D

Re: FYI

Originally posted by re-evaluating
Great job on the 9 second pass it is never as easy as everyone thinks.

As for the girdle Dave Bamford doesn't use one either and as we all know he went 9.57 with his...

And did it last?

Not running a girdle was not Dave's 1st choice.

This year he is sporting a girdle. Dave was also TSM legal. TSM legal and set up for heads up racing. You can go much faster if you put these two aspects asside and build your car strictly for low E.T.

congradulations Orlando. that is great for such a low buck effort!!
now everybody with anything close to your combo will think that 9's are no problem. lol

Re: Re: 86brick

No he uses the E-brake...

OhOh..........been there done that and suggest no one do that!!:eek:

E-brake launch= bent backing plates,new master cylinders and a tow truck..........ask me how i know!:D

I tried the e-brake becaus i have a friend that swears by it. It works great for him. After making two full passes with the e-brake on i gave up on it. I could not remember to pull it with all of the starting line BS i have to do. lol

I also have seen someone kill their backing plates and wind up the rear brakes inside the drums... not pretty.

All I know is he's been using the E-brake for a long time to get those high boost (20+lbs) launches and it seems to work for him... I've heard of the bent backing plates when doing this, but hey you know that saying.... "If you want to make an omelette you have to break some eggs!":D ;)

All I know is he's been using the E-brake for a long time to get those high boost (20+lbs) launches and it seems to work for him... I've heard of the bent backing plates when doing this, but hey you know that saying.... "If you want to make an omelette you have to break some eggs!":D ;)

I have lots of broken eggs, especially when the gf finds out how much my hobbys cost me LMAO!:D

Re: Re: FYI

Originally posted by Race Jace
And did it last?

Not running a girdle was not Dave's 1st choice.

This year he is sporting a girdle. Dave was also TSM legal. TSM legal and set up for heads up racing. You can go much faster if you put these two aspects asside and build your car strictly for low E.T.

congradulations Orlando. that is great for such a low buck effort!!
now everybody with anything close to your combo will think that 9's are no problem. lol

Sorry Jace did not mean anything negative towards the girdle. It is by far the best way to go.. I HAVE an RJC girdle on my motor and would not attempt to push it without it.. I know Dave will be back with a vengance in 2005..

You are right I am sure there are a lot more 9 second stock cap stock blocks out there already LOL....

Re: Re: Re: FYI

Originally posted by re-evaluating
Sorry Jace did not mean anything negative towards the girdle. It is by far the best way to go.. I HAVE an RJC girdle on my motor and would not attempt to push it without it.. I know Dave will be back with a vengance in 2005..

You are right I am sure there are a lot more 9 second stock cap stock blocks out there already LOL....

Rumor up here in MI is that they are running just the ouside pan rail part of the girdle so they could make TSM weight since they are running the lightweight stock crank now. Cancels out the weight savings, now they don't have to add any ballast. I heard they were after the contingency money from Jason.

Timeslip

Here's the full timeslip for Orlando's 9 second pass....

60'-1.47
330'-4.13
1/8-6.37
MPH-108.64
1000'-8.33
1/4-9.98
MPH-132.02

Re: Re: Re: Re: FYI

Originally posted by Ted A.
Rumor up here in MI is that they are running just the ouside pan rail part of the girdle so they could make TSM weight since they are running the lightweight stock crank now. Cancels out the weight savings, now they don't have to add any ballast. I heard they were after the contingency money from Jason.

You must be joking! I can think of a LOT better places to put weight in the car beside the engine. How much contingency does Jason pay? It must be over $400, since that is the cost of the girdle they cut up.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FYI

Originally posted by HighPSI
You must be joking! I can think of a LOT better places to put weight in the car beside the engine. How much contingency does Jason pay? It must be over $400, since that is the cost of the girdle they cut up.

Maybe they are putting the other chunks of it in the trunk along with the lead filled Marvel mystery oil containers. :)

Re: Timeslip

Here's the full timeslip for Orlando's 9 second pass....

60'-1.47
330'-4.13
1/8-6.37
MPH-108.64
1000'-8.33
1/4-9.98
MPH-132.02

DAYUM... gotta turn the boost up... :D

All I need is a second ... hehehehe

Good stuff, i was at the Nats and had no idea he was there..........would have liked to say hello.
What was the 60 foot and 8th mile mph?