Any good hyd roller lifters other than clicky Comps?

I just got off the phone with comp. same thing.
I was told "we have never had a problem with any lifters or heard of any problems in the Buick community" told me that for some reason they have redesigned the lifters. The new part number is 853-S.
Looks like i will give the morel lifters a shot.
Oh yeah and the shroud around the push rod is taller on the comp.

lifters

lifters chrome flaking which wiped some cam lobes, now need new lifters,cam, who knows what else! Don't know if morrels can take high RPM above 6500

Been over a year now.

So far, so good. My Lou Czarnota built engine has been the test mule for the first set of these new Morel Hyd rollers. I've now got hundreds of runs and dyno pulls on these things with ZERO issues of any kind. Car just ran a new best a few weeks ago of 10:87 @ 122 on 91 oct pump gas and alky.

Happy spooling...

Mike Barnard

I had the same problem with the pos comp lifters.I tried to find a US made lifter for our applications, this is what I found that is readily available, PBM and TA perfomance sells them and they are
made in the USA!! they are taller than the comp lifter so you must use a 7.900 push rod that you can get from Tom Allen at champion. solved all of my problems with no noise!!!

Fred

My motor is out and trying to make some decisions. Should I make the jump to a roller cam? If so, what is a good recommendation. Cam, lifters, rockers? Could I do this all myself? I am doing bearings now.
Basically, all the best combo from this thread.

Just want to share a few findings on preload.

A preload of 0.025" does not leave much room for error IMO.
I measured around 0.035" variation in required pushrod length, to maintain the correct preload, with stock rocker set-up.
So, on an “Average best case scenario" with a 0.025" target, you could potentially end up with preloads at 0.008", and 0.042". :eek:

Case and point is; If you do not verify preload on EACH valve, you may very well end up with valve train noise.

FWIW;
I had installed height total tolerance cut to 50% of spec.

Does anyone with comp lifters NOT have issues? Mine certainly does have the K detector go off on easy drives/and in N. Stupic stuff, Comps Chinese garbage...thats 3 times Ive been bit by them. As I lost 2 hyd cams before all this. And the joy of knowing the filings run thru the motor.
But biggest question guys, would anyone know of % of chrome flaking failures?
Thanks

Oh boy, i guess i need to ...can yall say who has best $? I wonder if itd be good to remove my Cumps and clean them with their 10,000 miles ?
Thanks

comp cams told me to just put them in mineral spirits and let um soak for 24hrs . but they have never heard of any problems with there lifters. btw i tried this and it didn't work. after about 2 weeks of sitting in my parts washer they finally freed up. but why risk putting them back in my car .

but they have never heard of any problems with there lifters.

Yeah I got this BS from them 5-6 years ago. THROW the pieces of JUNK away and buy Morels === !! Problem Solved.

Comp.

My guess is that many of their mechanical issues are caused by poor tolerances.

Then there are the customer support issues.:rolleyes:

Mike Barnard

Well I made the switch too and so far I am impressed! Got the motor all buttoned up and started her up this morning and within a few minutes they quieted down MUCH more than my old comps. The clicking used to be more pronounced when leaving a stop light in the 1500-2000rpm range...and now it's gone. It doesn't sound like a POS anymore. I haven't got a chance to romp on it yet but so far so good.

Props to SPOOLFOOL2 for getting the ball rolling on this.

rodney ,I checked the pics of your car ..very nice ,,can you tell me the length of your pushrods???

I never use the Comp hyd. lifters but the Morel's are GREAT!

I thought about using a solid lifter because my original hyd. lifters were ticking and giving me a false knock. Because of this reason, I heard people say they will never use a hyd. lifter again. You start revving them... they will tick!!!

I am extremely happy with Morel. I rev mine to 6200rpm no problems.