Any Kenne Bell front mount users here? How well does it work?

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
This front mount was on my car when i purchased it, its a Kenne Bell intercooler.
It seems to work OK, went 110MPH on 19-20psi on the stock turbo with it this past friday.
I was wondering what the limit of this intercooler was, how fast has anyone gone with it?

I know there cant be too many folks here running it, but id like to hear from you how fast you have gone and what mph youve gotten out of it.

What turbo do you have with it?

Surely its not as restrictive as the stock intercooler elbow, but i have no idea how well the core flows..

Well, let me know if you got one on your car.

Thanks
BW

Attachments

• 100_2018 (Small).jpg
    100_2018 (Small).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 584
have one and changed it to the e-bay one.

just like the one you had on one of your cars.

don't know how good the kenne bell unit is but it seems way small for a front mount and i believe they are an old design.

Ben here in CT had one, he ran 113/114 mph on alky. and pump gas when racing, about 25psi. I think he had a 44 turbo.

11.9 or 11.8 in his white T, stock heads and cam.

I thought people ran 10's with that thing in the olden days. :confused:

Thats what im wondering, i wasnt into turbo buicks till 97 or so... well couldnt afford one til then.

If someone is running 10s, then i might not have a problem running mid 11s in the distant future???

Thanks for the info...

BW

No problems

I've got one, huge improvement over stock, but that's my only other intercooler. Went 12.03@112.9 before my stock trans got wimpy :frown: 20 psi 93 oct no alky 0.9 knock at 1-2 shift, O2 0.820, tcc lock @85 mph.

back in the day i had them on both my regals. one was mainly a stocker other was built and went 10.83 with it. it made about 10 or so high 10 runs with it, but mostly low low 11's. is it the best out their, no not in a long shot, but its better then stock in my thought. if you dont want it ill gladly take it off your hands.

I've been using the intercooler for the past ten years. So far, the best ET has been 10.49 @ 128MPH. This is using a TE-45A turbo with a 206/206 comp cam.

It works. I have one on mine that was on the car when I bought it. I don't see any reason to upgrade to a newer design. I doubt if my goals will outgrow it at this point. Many have run 10's with it.

I've been using the intercooler for the past ten years. So far, the best ET has been 10.49 @ 128MPH. This is using a TE-45A turbo with a 206/206 comp cam.

Great info!
Ive decided to keep it on the car, and keep it simple :)
114.82 is my best so far, hoping for 116 or more with a few more degrees of timing down low.

Thanks!

BW

It works. I have one on mine that was on the car when I bought it. I don't see any reason to upgrade to a newer design. I doubt if my goals will outgrow it at this point. Many have run 10's with it.

Yours is different than mine... Did he make more than one design?

Mine too came on the car when i purchased it, the previous owner gave me the reciept for it 999.00 i believe!
BW

I just noticed that. I couldn't tell you the difference. Maybe someone else knows the difference. I have always assumed it was a KB Big Boy because of the decal.

lambturbo6

What does your intercooler look like?

The smaller one in my white T, or the larger one in WLDWST car?

BW

This one is the earlier design, around 1990. Duttweiller sold the same IC as late as '93 or so. The "sideways" one was a couple of years later.

I had a KB Big Boy back in the day and it worked fine on my 11.50 car. All of the KB's I have seen have the tanks on the top and bottom and the inlet/outlets on the same side. I think the one that Duttweiler sold was like the Cartech FM that was bigger than the KB. I had a Catech also on a different car and it was the same config as the KB as far as the pipes coming in the side but the Cartech took up nearly the entire grill area and the pipes were tight where the KB was pretty short and had plenty of room for the pipes to make the turn.

not sure if it'S a K-B...

I used to have a Kenne-Bell front mount on my car and it looked exactly like the one in the picture shown by "WLDWST"...not yours "Quick6'n'K.C.'""...My friend also had a Kenne-Bell and it also looked like mine. I think that yours looks more like the ones that were sold ( don't know if they still are) by Cartech from Texas...or by Spearco. I've never seen another kind of K-B's...but I could be wrong here...
"Quick6'n'K.C." I'm not saying yours is not good...just different than all the K-B's I've seen before which leads me to think that yours might be a different make...
As for performance, they were THE bolt-on piece that gave you the most "bang-for your buck" back then and even today, they're still a good improvement over the stock ones from GM.
Claude ;)