Anyone interested in HA Performance headers?

Hot Air performance headers / System

• What the heck is a Hot Air?

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • I am interested in PS header only, SS

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I am interested in complete header set, SS

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • Heck build me complete set-up! :D

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do understand your point. However the only possible alternative would be getting them made off shore. Well you are looking at probably at least 100 sets minumin, if not more to get them done. Do you think there is 100+ H/A owners out there looking for headers?

To be honest with you I don't know if there would be 100 on this board, hell you would know that info more than I would I'm sure you could look at the data you have on hand. At one point I'm sure there was more than 100. But I know for a fact that there is more than 100 hot air owners out there looking for performance and just don't know where to look for it. The problem is due to the lack of support for our performance goals many have converted or moved on to other projects. You could always take some type to pre-order deposit to cover your cost.

I do understand your point. However the only possible alternative would be getting them made off shore. Well you are looking at probably at least 100 sets minumin, if not more to get them done. Do you think there is 100+ H/A owners out there looking for headers?

between the carb turbo and HA guys..........mayyyyybeeee...

we might beable to gather 100 people.

A.j.

between the carb turbo and HA guys..........mayyyyybeeee...

we might beable to gather 100 people.

A.j.

Some very valid points made by boostmater and SGRIM.

So, Frankenstein, tell the Carb'd guys to step up and vote.
While the vote means nothing until $$ changes hands, it will at a very minimum get an idea of the "interest" that is out there.
Can you make that happen? :D

I have a poston set, never really had the chance to try them out... what i am more interested in, is a really good 3" DP, UNDER 400!!!!! Mease had a sweeeeeet pipe (right Jerryl??? lol), and now Gbodyparts is selling them at 600 bux!!!! why the heck would I buy that pipe for 600???? for 600 I could have a local shop copy his and make 3!!!!! it does not cost 500 to make that pipe, and I know that for a fact! Mease sold his brand new for 450, and for an extra 100, you got a 3" dump with it and the hardend hex bolts to attach it to the turbo!!!

If Gbody sold their DP at 300-350, I would have paypal'ed him a year ago!!! the TH dp sells for how much on the IC cars?

I know the HA cars are antiquated, out dated and inferior compared to the holy IC cars, but there are plenty HA cars left out there!!! There is a market for cheaper parts, and if anyone wasnt so headstrong because they are the "ONLY ONES" making parts, they would actually sell more than 5 pipes a year because the price would be FAIR!!!!

I dont mean to bash Gbody at all!!! I love Bweavy!!!! It is just the perverbial "im the only one so you have to pay" mentality that the hot air guys have gotten over the last 9 years that I have been involved! When Mease made them, you could read it in every single post that he was the only one with a decent 3" dp, and that 450 was a high price and noone would pay because too much $$ and took too long to make... but if he made 5 of them a month and sold them for 300, he's still be making them and selling them today!!! I would have bought 2!!!!

A set of headers with crossover, an up pipe and a down pipe package deal for under 1000 would sell clean off the shelves!!!! you wouldnt be able to make them fast enough... 800 even still seems steep, but if you look at Jaysgn up pipe (what is it now? 200??), and the gbody pipe for 599 plus shipping on ebay, poston headers and crossover for 500+, were looking at a scant 1300 or more!!! If I could get all those parts in a box, delivered to my house for 1K, here is my credit card #!!!! I would pay that off in a paycheck and consider it the best check ever spent!!!!!

BUT, I digress... i will eat my shoe now, as I am sure I did not impress anybody with that little rant...sorry!!!!:redface: :redface: :redface:

but in all honesty, if I knew how they made the integral wastegate housing on the 3" downpipes with the elbow, I would be making them and selling them for 300, and I bet I couldnt keep up with the demand! I just wish the vendors thought like me! How much is the metal and the welding in all honest? A good welder, paid by the hour gets 60+ on the high side non union... 3 hours for a pipe seems kinda ball-park, yes/no? metal, pipe, puck, on the cheap, what do you think? 50-100 max? Jet hot coat it for another 100, and you just spent 380 on the same pipe that has consistently sold for 500+!!!! anyone making this pipe is making a minimum of 100 cash sole profit on each and every pipe! I really wish I could make these pipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you Jerryl???? lol

I have to reiterate!!! this is in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM a bashing of Gbodyparts or Brian!!! I just wish his pipes, and anyone elses parts for our HA cars were ball park instead of outfielders!!!

I wish I could afford another DP!!! then I would be rollin!!!

john:biggrin:

why the heck would I buy that pipe for 600???? for 600 I could have a local shop copy his and make 3!!!!!:

That is so much easeir said then done... I would love to see the material and qaulity of the job for that price... If you can you should do it and sale them on ebay and make a mint yourself.......

I wish I knew how!!!!!!

lol

I remember the pipe from mease was 3" with a real nice mount to the turbo... I have no clue what metal he used, or how me made it (CNC?) I have access to these things, but I just have no clue how they made the wastegate... If I could make them, Iw ould sell them for the cost it took me to make them to members on this site soley because of all the input, honest answers, and all the help I have gotten over the past 9 years! I just dont have teh 600 to cough up to buy one and copy!!!! lol

they are a nice pipe, and I know Gbody has real good quality, but why are they sooooo expensive?????

John:biggrin:

I wish I knew how!!!!!!

lol

I remember the pipe from mease was 3" with a real nice mount to the turbo... I have no clue what metal he used, or how me made it (CNC?) I have access to these things, but I just have no clue how they made the wastegate... If I could make them, Iw ould sell them for the cost it took me to make them to members on this site soley because of all the input, honest answers, and all the help I have gotten over the past 9 years! I just dont have teh 600 to cough up to buy one and copy!!!! lol

they are a nice pipe, and I know Gbody has real good quality, but why are they sooooo expensive?????

The flanges you can get through RJC John. With or without pucks, so that's a non issue.:biggrin: All you really need to do is fit it on the car and tack everything into place to make the first one. You can get the tubing through several sources so you can use 2.5", 3", or 3.5" tubing, or if you're really dairing, you could do a stepped downpipe.:eek: Everything has to be cut for the first one so you get the dimentions right and fitted properly. At that point you can make a jig out of wood or metal to hold the pipes in the right location for welding. If you're not good at welding you can tack them in place and find someone that can weld them for you. It really is easier than most make it out.:tongue:

all we really need is a good ps header and uppipe combo. preferably one that doesn't care about working with stock uppipe. be nice to get rid of at least one of those 2 90 degree bends. just my 2cents

Headers

And here is the problem; you can't even get 100 people to subscribe to this post or poll let alone get 100 people to commit to make a purchase for a set of headers. This is the main reason we don't get any support. I remember a few years back when Lee Thompson was making 3" downpipes he had lots of people expressing interest but in the end he got left holding the bag. Looks like the same thing here. In the end Hot Air owners always fold.

And here is the problem; you can't even get 100 people to subscribe to this post or poll let alone get 100 people to commit to make a purchase for a set of headers. This is the main reason we don't get any support. I remember a few years back when Lee Thompson was making 3" downpipes he had lots of people expressing interest but in the end he got left holding the bag. Looks like the same thing here. In the end Hot Air owners always fold.

well arent you just lovely today.... im feeling your pride.

:rolleyes: A.j.

I'd certainly be interested. But in reality, the cost does become a factor in actually pulling the trigger on a deal. Understanding there is a fine balance point, to make the fabrication of parts worthwhile to a vendor, and to make the purchase price something that the average owner can accept.

The opportunity to have someone creating quality parts that work on these cars is interesting, though. You hate to miss out, because that option does not come around all the time.

I have a poston set, never really had the chance to try them out... what i am more interested in, is a really good 3" DP, UNDER 400!!!!! Mease had a sweeeeeet pipe (right Jerryl??? lol), and now Gbodyparts is selling them at 600 bux!!!! why the heck would I buy that pipe for 600???? for 600 I could have a local shop copy his and make 3!!!!! it does not cost 500 to make that pipe, and I know that for a fact! Mease sold his brand new for 450, and for an extra 100, you got a 3" dump with it and the hardend hex bolts to attach it to the turbo!!!

You have virtually no chance of making that pipe that cheap. Lets look at a breakdown of the costs.

Youre going to pay $129.00 for the wastegate flange with puck. Then youre going to pay $30.00 for the flange at the other end of the pipe. So there's $159.00 right there. Then youre going to pay about $45.00 a bend for the actual pipe and Im sure there are at least 5 bends in that pipe, maybe more. So at that point, youre looking at $384.00 for materials alone.

I guess if you can find someone to weld it all up for $70.00 or so, you can pull it off. Thats an easy half day of welding, plus all the initial fabrication costs. Trust me $600 would be a deal.

Even if you made it a non Houston style pipe, you still couldnt do it that cheap.

Making these headers at the price I quoted is a losing deal for us. Anyone off the street, they would be about $1000 more. We charge $70 an hour for fabrication and usually have about 20-25 hours in a set of headers plus materials. You do the math.

Hot Air Headers

I talked with Jay yesterday. I will be getting back with him to drop off my 84 GN Hopefully early next week. His fabricator is on vacation this week. I talked with him about building me an entire system, headers, downpipe & up pipe. We have agreed on an approximate price and I feel good about their ability. I will call Jay later this week and get the specifics and to go over how careful I want him to be on my 5,500 mile GN and to make sure it will be stored indoors and be very well taken care of. Hopefully this will get this ball rolling.

:biggrin: Hey Jay... Mease pipe didnt come with the flange at the end, just a slip on 3" dump pipe and a couple band clamps... I figure, 3- 90* bends minimum, 2- 45*, and no need for the flange, and since I have access to CNC and lathe and all, I would only have to buy one wastegate flange and duplicate it... So my initial cost would be higher, yes, but the subsequent peices would be much cheaper providing I have stock of the right supplies...

how do they make those wastegate flanges!!! lol

I think it is totally possible for under 400!!! O-So-lo made his own 2-1/2" pip and it looks real professional... Did it cost more than $400 O-so-low? Albeit materials for 2-1/2" are cheaper, it cant be too much more expensive for 3" can it?

im just curious, and I really would like to see a heck of a lot cheaper parts for the hot airs than what we have now... I really like my engine set-up, and I am not going for 9 sec in the 1/4, so there is no need to add an IC motor for me, nor the need to dump tons of money into more and more parts, when all I want is a consistent 12 sec car with some options!

My training has always been, More air/fuel in, more exhaust out = more power! So... how do we get these parts cheaper?

If you wanted to do the car justice John, make it an external waste gate for better control. All you'd need for the patern is one of the flange gaskets and once it's cut on the outside you mount it up to the exducer housing to mark the hole and cut it out. Simple and easy is usually the best solution. You'd have to cut into the up pipe but all you need to that is a hole saw and the tubing for the gate.

Tubing size from 2.5 to 3.5 is about double in price.

Like I said, good luck with it. Its a lot of work and a lot of welding. For a one off, you can probably do it cheaper. For anything youre going to try to produce, youre going to be working for nothing.

Is BWR going to do the deal or just bloeing smoke?

Nope.. we're working on them. I'll post up some photos first of the week. We're also working on your intake ;)

:biggrin: Hey Jay... Mease pipe didnt come with the flange at the end, just a slip on 3" dump pipe and a couple band clamps... I figure, 3- 90* bends minimum, 2- 45*, and no need for the flange, and since I have access to CNC and lathe and all, I would only have to buy one wastegate flange and duplicate it... So my initial cost would be higher, yes, but the subsequent peices would be much cheaper providing I have stock of the right supplies...

how do they make those wastegate flanges!!! lol

I think it is totally possible for under 400!!! O-So-lo made his own 2-1/2" pip and it looks real professional... Did it cost more than $400 O-so-low? Albeit materials for 2-1/2" are cheaper, it cant be too much more expensive for 3" can it?

im just curious, and I really would like to see a heck of a lot cheaper parts for the hot airs than what we have now... I really like my engine set-up, and I am not going for 9 sec in the 1/4, so there is no need to add an IC motor for me, nor the need to dump tons of money into more and more parts, when all I want is a consistent 12 sec car with some options!

My training has always been, More air/fuel in, more exhaust out = more power! So... how do we get these parts cheaper?

John there is no way Mease sold that pipe for that amount unless he had your $ for 6 months & you were threatening him.:eek:

We sold his pipe back then for him & they were $600!

Now consider the pipes we Built. I have to go to a manufacturer & say bend this, that, & the other. Build a Jig off this 9 year old pipe & I only want 6.
"Ok Brian we can do that for less then $300, Just double your $ because we just like you that much."
Ok wake up LOL

I asked about the next round. They will not build any less then 10 at a time. Same price. I figured up after shipping we were making less then $70 a pipe.
Then add in pay pal or CC fees.
Then tax on the profit we made.
Man I was hitting a home run!

Now buy 20-30-60 at a time that is the difference.

Jay good luck I'm interested to see what the prices are.