Are T-tops bad...

Hey now . . . :p

I pay no claim to any manufacturer. I've owned vehicles from each of the Big 3, and each of them had a place in my heart. I've actually owned and driven about 20 cars in my life, and ten of them have been turbo Mopars. I had an '86 Daytona Turbo Z that I drove for 13 years, had a quarter million miles on it when I finally parted it out this summer. Car still ran like a champ, but the Nebraska winters finally took a toll on the body. The rust had gotten so bad it was literally unsafe to drive. Most reliable car I've ever owned. Crazy things happened when I was taking it apart though. I pulled the coil wire off, and the oil was leaking out. Tranny fluid came out looking like silver paint. And the battery that I gave to my neighbor, which had never once given me a hint of trouble, refused to take a charge once it went in his car. That car ran on sheer will power, I swear to it.

Second in line for best cars I ever had was my '79 Malibu Classic. I learned to wrench on that car. Set of shocks, a fuel pump, a starter, and a set of brakes, and that car went through hell and back and never missed a tick. That was the car that got me into G-bodies in the first place, along side my best friend's '87 SS Aerocoupe. I was actually looking for a '78-'79 Malibu coupe when I found my old '78 Regal Sport Coupe. And that's the car that turned me onto Buicks.

I miss my 89 Turbo Daytona :-(

For what I do with my TR the little body flex from the T-tops doesn't bother me at all.

If I raced it seriously it would have to be caged anyway in which case the solid roof/t-tops issue is no more.

Hey now . . . :p

I pay no claim to any manufacturer. I've owned vehicles from each of the Big 3, and each of them had a place in my heart. I've actually owned and driven about 20 cars in my life, and ten of them have been turbo Mopars. I had an '86 Daytona Turbo Z that I drove for 13 years, had a quarter million miles on it when I finally parted it out this summer. Car still ran like a champ, but the Nebraska winters finally took a toll on the body. The rust had gotten so bad it was literally unsafe to drive. Most reliable car I've ever owned. Crazy things happened when I was taking it apart though. I pulled the coil wire off, and the oil was leaking out. Tranny fluid came out looking like silver paint. And the battery that I gave to my neighbor, which had never once given me a hint of trouble, refused to take a charge once it went in his car. That car ran on sheer will power, I swear to it.

Second in line for best cars I ever had was my '79 Malibu Classic. I learned to wrench on that car. Set of shocks, a fuel pump, a starter, and a set of brakes, and that car went through hell and back and never missed a tick. That was the car that got me into G-bodies in the first place, along side my best friend's '87 SS Aerocoupe. I was actually looking for a '78-'79 Malibu coupe when I found my old '78 Regal Sport Coupe. And that's the car that turned me onto Buicks.

My uncle had a Shelby Charger too, I liked it because it was all black with the levers on the back window, light weight and Turbocharged... hauled ass too:biggrin:

When it comes time for you to add maplights, you can either do like everyone else does and add the F-body/S10 rearview mirror with them built in, or you can try something different like this.

Attachments

• 300zxmap.jpg
    300zxmap.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 254
  • maplight1.jpg
    maplight1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 256
  • maplight2.jpg
    maplight2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 253
  • maplight3.jpg
    maplight3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 254
LOL, no I bought a pair of those 8 ball door lock knobs and unscrewed the 8 balls. Then took to of the Turbo 6 tire valve caps and screwed them on. Looked good.

A popular mod on the later GN's is to add the two 'missing' body mounts behind the doors. That'll stiffen it up a little.

FWIW, the early 65-67 Skylark GS coupes and hardtops used the reinforced boxed convertible frame to stiffen things up. I would say boxing the frame on a t-top car would help.

ooohhh.....I forgot to add the bushing. Nice catch :)

I have the 'missing GNX bushings' or whatever they are called these days.

So to bring this thread full circle....

"No, T-tops are not bad."

The biggest problem with the t-tops is the rust under them :eek:. At Gbody we have reproduction parts for them. We have a car in here now that has some pretty serious rust around the tops. GBodyParts.com Online. Other than that, I wish I had a t-top car myself :(

I LOVE your store:biggrin: Do you guys have any header panels for an 83 buick regal? And in your opinon would the 86-87 dams look good or bolt onto and 83 t-type?

We do have 83 header panels. I'm not sure how how the 86 airdams would look, but it probably wouldn't look to bad.

I LOVE your store:biggrin: Do you guys have any header panels for an 83 buick regal? And in your opinon would the 86-87 dams look good or bolt onto and 83 t-type?

i got a 83 header panel and ttype grille if you need one