at or above 175 engine temp car misses and bucks

87owner

it does it right as the boost comes on, during light accel. If I can give it more gas it seems to break through and be OK. From what I have read , its doesnt seem to be tip in stumble, its later that that. The temp correlation is what really confuses me. What sensors could be getting messed up from the heat?

Have you checked the grounds on the back of the head? Mine was doing a simmular problem. Then I parked it came out 2 hours later and it drove fine for like 20 mintues then it came back.

I cleaned the grounds and it went away.

Scott

I had similar symptoms with my GN. It ended up being the ignition module. Sometimes when the module is starting to go bad, it will not send the proper voltage to the coil pack as the ign mod heats up.

Try a known good coil pack/ign module to see if that's it.

ok, this problem is back now and worse than ever. It still seems to only do it once the car has warmed up and at least 172 degrees.. But it only at zero psi. In the vacuum and at 2-3 psi and up its fine and smooth, but light accel with the turbo just starting to spool ...its crazy...and on the highway when cruising 65 its bad also. The coil pack was recently replaced when trouble shooting a different problem, so was the mass air meter, plugs wires and TPS sensor. this problem has slowly been getting worse.

Everyone needs a spare IMO......

Here are a couple of ideas...

Module/coil pack

Advance

Also check with salvage yards if you want to save a few bucks. You'll have to research model interchangeability, etc.

ADVANCE is awesome! coil packs for only 50.00 instock, and the ignition control module was only 100.00 and they had that to. BUT! with the new ignition control module the car still stumbles when the temp gets up to 178 degrees. What the hell could be temp related like this. Turbolink shows that everything is fine. So now I'm not sure what to do next. Could it be the chip is freaking out? Its a JayC propane chip. I have not tried my old thrashers because they are an hour away from here, and that doesnt seem likely to me. That chip was just fine for a ong time.. What else could be getting heat-soaked and freaking my car?

and its not the chip either, just tried a different one. I'm seriously pissed at this point.:mad:

thats it right down to the 178 degree mark. I kept watching my digital temp gauge along with the turbolink, and it was 178 evertime. With my car I seem to have a radiator problem so I always go over 178 when I drive it for a while. So imagine how annoyed I am. This is crazy, and with the Turbolink showing no problems I really dont even have a clue what part to throw at it next. One of these guys that knows all the ins and out of these cars should be able to come up with something because of the temperature thing. What is it about heat that could cause this.

I have to resort to driving with the A/C on, until I hit traffic. Then with the A/C off the temps don't go over 162, so the car runs fine. If I leave the A/C on the temps climb to 175+ then the stuttering starts to show itself.

I also have a new cam sensor, as well as a new crank sensor that I haven't installed. But I really don't think that either are the problem. :mad:

NO A/C SUCKS!! :mad:

Maybe you have a minor blown headgasket that only shows its ugly head when the engine temp gets up and things start expanding. If you can..... although very old school...........take some carb or brake kleen and spray around the head gaskets with the car at idle warmed up. Also do around the intake. Or take a compression tester to it and see whats up.

Another thing you can check is.......your mass air. I think you said you replaced it?? Where did you get it? Is it another original or a stock replacement from an auto parts store?? Those are not very reliable. They cause all kinds of problems on a turbo car. My friend had a similar problem to yours. He changed to an original mass air from a friend with another GN and it fixed the problem.
Just some ideas for you.
Good luck and let me know how you make out!

I had the same problem changed the module no help I did this twice a friend asked me to run the car untill the problem showed up and then put in my old module that was bad. wow the ran great for some reason untill that module got warmed up the discount auto parts modules(advanced auto parts)did not work on my car,I went with an AC Delco module and never had that problum again.I use the typeII coil&module now and keep the stock setup in the trunk just in case.

Originally posted by slamming 6
(advanced auto parts)did not work on my car

I went through something similar, but luckily (from a diagnostic view) the first new one wouldn't fire at all. I went back to Advance, and they gave me another one which has been perfect ever since. Sometimes I think these electronic parts are like a crap shoot. :confused:

Originally posted by slamming 6
I had the same problem changed the module no help I did this twice a friend asked me to run the car untill the problem showed up and then put in my old module that was bad. wow the ran great for some reason untill that module got warmed up the discount auto parts modules(advanced auto parts)did not work on my car,I went with an AC Delco module and never had that problum again.I use the typeII coil&module now and keep the stock setup in the trunk just in case.

thats very interesting. Yesterday my car was hot when I put in the new module I bought. And it was perfect for a while I was just sarting to think that it was fixed when it started. So it makes sense that even though the car was warmed up it still took a little time for the new part to be heat soaked. Didnt realize all this until now. But maye it really is these modules cant take he heat. Even new ones. I am just going to have to get my cooling problem sorted out I guess. Or maybe some kind of heat wrap experiment. I think I'm going to duct-tape an ice pack to the module and go for a drive.

And whats the deal with the type II coil/module you run now? What is it , and where do I get it?

ok....I still have to do some more experiments, BUT.....
the aftermarket module I bought has a metal housing not that black plastic like the one that was in there. So when the car started acting up I jammed a blue ice-pak up against it in between the doghouse and the coil. Would you belive that after a few minutes the car stopped stumbling. Have to try again when the engine temps are higher to be sure, but its a step towards figuring it out. One I have teh engine temps in the high 180's and have my ice-pak in there with no stmble or miss I will be certain.

I had the exact same problem. With a voltmeter I could check the coil pack before I started the car when it was cool and it would check in the 13's across all three posts. After driving for a while and checking the coil pack again all three posts would read in the 15's!! Changed coil pack and cured the problem. R.B.

87Owner the type II coil & module & bracket all came off a 89 Olds cutless ciera with a 3.0 V6.Instead of one coil thay thve three coils with two posts each for the plug wires, they have a little hotter spark nothing you could feel though and they were free. the problem with heat soak has nothing to do with the engin temp its the parts they use in the reman process that cant handle the heat buildup from the electrical process to fire the coil.Dont know if the spelling right but I hope you know what I mean,Good Luck with your car,AL.