Auto fluid chemical disposal?

V8KILLR

2speed 1day fast & faster
I continued breaking down the GN last night. I was trying to drain all the fluids and had some questions for you all. I have two 15-quart vats. One is about half full with engine oil (truck oil) and the other is about half with coolant (from the GN this time). As I just stated, I have drained the antifreeze from the radiator and still have the trans oil, engine oil and AC fluid to go. I’ll be putting the GN engine oil in with the truck engine oil, but can I mix in the other vat the antifreeze with the trans oil, since I’m going to run out of vat room? Are these two chemicals going to have a reaction and / or is the place that I go to for disposal going to give me hell about mixing the chemicals. Is it worth just getting a third vat? Last, how do I get my AC fluid drained? Of course the car is not running, so I can’t drive the car to a shop to get it done. I know that **** is bad for the atmosphere, plus I’ve got two dogs and don’t want to hurt them in any way or form, since they spend a lot of time in the garage alone. Thanks for the help!!!

Jason

You can mix the tranny fluid and motor oil, but don't mix tranny fluid or motor oil with the coolant. They won't cause any reaction what-so-ever, but the folks at the recycling center won't take it. Finally, there is really no fluid in the AC system, it's just freon gas or R34 gas if it's been changed over. If you have no way to get it to a recovery machine, you will just have to vent it to the atmosphrere SLOWLY (it can cause blindness if you release it quickly and it blows into your eyes). Otherwise you will be just fine. Drew

Originally posted by 65vette396
You can mix the tranny fluid and motor oil, but don't mix tranny fluid or motor oil with the coolant. They won't cause any reaction what-so-ever, but the folks at the recycling center won't take it. Finally, there is really no fluid in the AC system, it's just freon gas or R34 gas if it's been changed over. If you have no way to get it to a recovery machine, you will just have to vent it to the atmosphrere SLOWLY (it can cause blindness if you release it quickly and it blows into your eyes). Otherwise you will be just fine. Drew

Thanks Drew,
Will any place come out with a recovery machine to my house?

Thanks again,
Jason

Jason, not sure, your best bet would be to check around with some local automotive shops and possibly some heating and AC services in your area. They might come out and remove the gas from your AC system. Good luck, Drew