Baldwin vs Delco Oil Filter Comparison

tom h

A few weeks ago I bought (but haven't yet installed) RJC's Biggie Filter Adapter.

For those not familiar, this clever, simple little part allows replacement of the stock PF47/PF52 oil filter with a larger PF24 filter. I've since been wondering how to use an even large filter, without the expense or complexity of a remote oil filter (eg PTE's TurboSaver).

In Baldwin Filter's catalog, the direct cross from the Delco PF24 is the Baldwin B39. The B39 has a BIGGER brother, the B9, which is 22% longer shell and otherwise identical.

Earlier today I bought a few B9's (a little under $5 each), intending to use them with my RJC Biggie to achieve my goal of a "Bigger Biggie". My purpose is to run a simple filter arrangement, with a lower differential pressure drop, which will lessen the risk of the Bypass opening and allowing crud/shrapnel to get back into the engine. While I don't have actual "Pressure Drop vs Flow" data, all else being equal, the bigger filter should be lower press drop across its filter media.

here's a link to some photos I took comparing the Delco & Baldwin

Photo 1 shows the 22% longer "Big Red" Baldwin.

Photo 2 is end view of the threads.

Photo 3 is a closeup of the gaskets, showing the height they protrude above the metal groove.

The Baldwin's gasket is better "captured" than the Delco, so the Baldwin should resist higher pressures without "gasket blowout".

The Baldwin had a very good anti-drainback valve, all 4 filters had negligible leakage when I blow thru the center hole. My single PF24 sample had a LOT of air leakage.

Both Baldwin & Delco had metal shells that seemed of comparable strength-- negligible deflection when squeezed (Purolator PureOnes seem disconcertingly flimsy).

Baldwin wrote me that the B9 is rated at 100 psi continuous operating, 200 psi burst, and 250ºF continuous operating temperature.

Later on I will cut the filters open and compare construction and filter media.

Overall, looks good so far.

What do you guys think of the risks of running this bigger Baldwin filter with the stock Bypass in the engine adapter, PLUGGED?
I've read some of the problems people have had.

I would be running the Kenne_Bell pressure booster plate (but no high volume stuff), using 5W30 or 10W30 oil, local temps never drop below 40-45F, and I am probably disciplined enough to not "race" the engine above 3000 rpm until it's warmed up.

A little off topic: I was told that you had to remove the oil pump adapter from the oil pump cover and you should replace the oil cooler seal which used to come with the original kits.

Do you have to replace this seal? If so do you know the part #?

Thanks!

tom h, you probably won't have a problem running the even bigger "BIGGIE"...As for plugging the bypass, with the stock cover you shouldn't have a problem, just make sure that you let the motor warm up some before you start driving, especially in colder weather...

In talking to both David Chase(who came up with the Biggie filter setup), and Lonnie Diers, who did some of the testing as well, I think that Lonnie had also mentioned that in addition to the bypass that is in the stock oil pump cover, that there is also ANOTHER bypass in the oil cooler adapter...I think that is what he told me...Check real close in the oil cooler adapter...

Also, DO NOT block the bypass if you are running a hi-vol pump setup...You will either collapse the filters or blow them apart...The hi-vol pump gears on the "small" block Buicks(231, 300, 340, 350) use the same length pump gears as the standard size "Big" block Buick 455 oil pump gears...I didn't know it at the time I put my 455 together, but I did know not to use a hi-vol pump on the 455(a big no-no), but I did block the bypass and proceeded to collapse filter after filter...I talked to Lonnie and that is when he told me that the 455 shouldn't be run with a blocked bypass and that the hi-vol pumps for the "small" block Buicks use the same size pump gear as the standard 455 pump gear...

Maybe Lonnie will jump in here and comment some more about this subject...

CaPPY, new o-ring seals "should" come with the "Biggie" filter kits...

CaPPY,

The oil pump adapter, or "mounting base", does NOT have to get removed just for installing the RJC biggie adapter. The RJC piece just replaces the metric threaded bushing, with a 13/16 threaded piece to accept the PF24 filter.

The oil pump adapter would only get removed if a pressure booster plate is being installed.

The oring/seal attached to the rear of the oil cooler diverter assy, seems to be in good shape on my car (not flattened or nicked), I was intending to just re-use it.

I believe that seal is GM # 25530999. My Biggie Adapter did *not* come with this seal.

Jim,
Thanks for your comments & insights. I will be running just the stock oil pump gears.

I'll check more closely on the oil cooler adapter, to see what this other bypass is doing. I wonder if it is some kind of thermostatically controlled bypass, to skip the cooler and allow the oil to warm up faster?

It does seem a possibility that after the K-B booster plate is installed, that the oil filter adapter will sit a little lower, and that there will be an interference between the PF24/B9 filter and the intercooler bracket (PF24 is substantially larger diameter than stock PF52). A very small amount of grinding or cutting on the IC bracket may be required.

FJM 568,
Thanks!... I was wondering 'cause mine didn't come with an "O" ring and it looks like tom h, didn't get one with his either.

tom h,
I may Email you to find out if you had to do any cutting on your installation. I have a front mount, so the IC isn't a problem. I already have a KB booster plate in mine, so it looks like I can pass on the "O" ring. If you have a chance, please post your results here.

Where did you get the B 39...do you have to go to NAPA or does Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. carry them. Thanks!

hmmm...maybe I shouldn't ASSume... ;) I'm not actually sure that they do come with new o-rings...I thought they did...Haven't bought one yet, but plan to here soon for my 87 T...

CaPPY,

Baldwin filters aren't generally sold at retail chain stores (an inconvenience) , they are typically sold thru independent distributorships. The Baldwin web site lists them all. I had to drive about 10 miles to my nearest one. If there isn't a distributor near you, call the nearest one & they'll probably do a mail order.

You referred to "B39", but did you mean "B9" ?

B39 is the exact replacement for Delco PF24, B9 is the 20% longer version.

With Calif 8.25% sales tax, the B9 cost me exactly $5 each. I bought 4 'cause it was a hassle driving 10 miles for filters.

What is the web address for Baldwin? I would like to find a local distrubutor myself.
Thank you,
Brian

Baldwin and NAPA catalogs both show the NAPA Gold 1049 filter being the cross reference for the "biggie" Baldwin B9.

Seeing as how there are a lot more NAPA stores than Baldwin distributors, that would be agood thing, right!?

While the 1049 and B9 are same jumbo size, Be Warned -
the NAPA Gold 1049 does NOT have an anti-drainback valve! It is most definitely not interchangeable with the Baldwin B9, which has a very good anti-drainback (can barely blow any air through it).

I have had bad results with Baldwins.. I got 4 or so pf 52' equivalants and they all leaked and lost oil at rest giving my the start up rattle.. I went back to the Pure ones and it stopped..

Originally posted by tom h

I'll check more closely on the oil cooler adapter, to see what this other bypass is doing. I wonder if it is some kind of thermostatically controlled bypass, to skip the cooler and allow the oil to warm up faster?

Tom - there is a little bitty bypass in the oil cooler adapter. Don't worry about it... It's not controlled in any way, and it is so small that even with it full open I don't think it could pass 100% of the oil pump flow. It doesn't bypass the filter or anything, just routes a little from the cooler inlet to cooler outlet when the oil is cold and pressure drops are high. It's safe to pretty much ignore it I'd say.

John

Frank,
"... [Baldwins] all leaked and lost oil at rest .."
You mean the anti-drainback valve was allowing oil to drain out ?

I'll watch out for it ... the AD valve on the four B9's I got seemed quite good.

John, thx for oil cooler bypass info ... one less thing to worry about!

Yes Tom, I mean they allowed the filters to drain and dry start after about a week sitting.. Pure ones do not..
Sorry I was not clear on that..

Originally posted by tom h
Frank,
"... [Baldwins] all leaked and lost oil at rest .."
You mean the anti-drainback valve was allowing oil to drain out ?

I'll watch out for it ... the AD valve on the four B9's I got seemed quite good.

John, thx for oil cooler bypass info ... one less thing to worry about!

Woaa

Originally posted by JDEstill

Tom - there is a little bitty bypass in the oil cooler adapter. Don't worry about it... It's not controlled in any way, and it is so small that even with it full open I don't think it could pass 100% of the oil pump flow. It doesn't bypass the filter or anything, just routes a little from the cooler inlet to cooler outlet when the oil is cold and pressure drops are high. It's safe to pretty much ignore it I'd say.

John

John,
I just replaced my radiator with a Dequick aluminum radiator and used plugs on the oil cooler adapter to discontinue use of old oil cooler lines. Are you saying that I may not have adequate Oil Flow now ?

Try a PureOne part number L30005 the same size as the B9
but easier to locate and cheaper. It has the correct thread (13/16) and the check valve. This filter was for a 1959 Buick V8 and 60's V6 Jeeps' Work great with the biggie adaptor. Fram P/n
PH11

Re: Woaa

Originally posted by G McCall
I just replaced my radiator with a Dequick aluminum radiator and used plugs on the oil cooler adapter to discontinue use of old oil cooler lines. Are you saying that I may not have adequate Oil Flow now ?

You mean you plugged where the hoses attach to the adapter, but left the adapter installed?

If so, I would *NOT* run it that way! Either take the adapter out completely (preferred) or loop a hose to connect the two ports. That little bypass in there would be a huge restriction if you are trying to run all the oil through it full time. It is a lot smaller than the oil filter bypass, if I remember right the hole is only somewhere around 1/16"-1/8" in diameter.

John

Too Late :( I may have a problem. Under boost I heard what seemed like a shrill/ screak, (dry bearings ?) . Now I here a ticking noise. Going to have it checked out. And you KNOW, I posted and was asking for advice on this very application last week. It seems as though I can find every way there is to screw this car up.

dew,

good tip about the Purolator L30005 being a Baldwin B9 equivalent.

I went to the local Pep Boys earlier to check it out, they were out of stock & didn't know when they'd be getting more L30005.

re Fram - after seeing some of the photos and reports done on various web sites, I am unlikely to ever use ordinary Frams again (maybe their "race" filter are better, but ...).

Looking at cut-apart Frams, It's like seeing what sausages are "really" made of ...