Baldwin vs Delco Oil Filter Comparison

I was currently using Baldwin and every morning on cold startup
I get lifter noise.Now I switch back to Ac pf52 problem is gone.I was told it was the best filter by my part distributor.I return the case of filters back to him and bought a case of Ac pf52`s.

I checked out the Purolator L30005 earlier, the putative Baldwin B9 clone.

The L30005 AntiDrainback valve was good, I couldn't blow thru it. The shell is very thin, I can make it dimple like an old fashioned oil can bottom, just by squeezing. I can't do that on the Baldwin - thicker shell. BTW, my grip is weak ;)

The store had only one L30005, and it appeared to be an older style box, so it may not be representative of current design.

But all other things being equal, I like the stronger shell on the Baldwin.

From Baldwin tech support, the B9 is rated :

- 100 psi continuous operating,
- 200 psi burst,
- 250ºF continuous operating temperature.

Note that I have NOT yet cut apart a Baldwin, nor actually installed it or used it!

:confused: Um, guys, just install an AC PF52 in place of the stubby stock one.

50% longer. No adapter, no added crap. Just added filtration. Same price.

Originally posted by QuickWrench
:confused: Um, guys, just install an AC PF52 in place of the stubby stock one.

50% longer. No adapter, no added crap. Just added filtration. Same price.

The longer filter does not filter any better than the short one. That's not what they are trying to acomplish.

it may not filter any better but you will be getting a larger capacity oil system with th elarger filter and MORE filter media area so it will be able to filter more.. for the same price.. How can ya not go for th elarger one?

Originally posted by fubar2.5

The longer filter does not filter any better than the short one. That's not what they are trying to acomplish.

Strictly speaking, the RJC biggie adapter is NOT "added crap". It just replaces the stock threaded adapter in the filter mounting base, with a modified threaded adapter.

my reasons for searching out a simple, non-remote, bigger filter setup are to achieve less pressure drop across the filter, so that:

- less chance the bypass in mounting base will open.
- maybe even plug the bypass, without risk of filter collapse or blow-out (providing stock oil pump gears are used).

The PF52, while bigger than bone-stock PF47, is no match for a PF24 or the even bigger B9/L30005, in terms of filter media area.

At this time, I just didn't want the added complexity of a remote filter, extra hoses, etc.

In the end, we are trying to get less resistance to flow by presenting the inlet stream a larger area to make its way thru. This improves oil pressure and reduces bypassed oil....which is what Tom, Frank, and Fubar are all saying or implying.

There is no added crap with the biggy.

The PF47 VS the PF52

Threre isn't a difference between these two in how well they filter the oil because both are a 25 micron rated filter and use exactly the same type of filter paper. That's what their engineering department says.

The PF52 does pack a lot of paper in the extra space. I haven't looked up my notes since the move, but I believe it was about 50% more paper than the PF47. But for some reason this increase in size and filter media doesn't easily show up in an increase in oil flow we can monitor on the car. Adding a "Biggie" or a remote large filter kit normally shows an increase in hot oil pressures. My reasoning from that was the volume of oil a filter could hold was an important factor.

There was a problem with the PF52 filters having a poor anti-drain back valve. Users were talking about start-up knock when using the filter and the knock going away with a return to the PF47. This is when the blow test for the filters was first discussed. For some reason this was more of a problem with the PF24 and PF52 and not with the PF47. AC wouldn't admit it, but I believe it was vendor quality control issue.

Don't know if you care to look into it but the Mobil 1 filter M1-201 cross referenced with the PF-52. I'm using this filter after from some advice but not sure how well it does. VERY expensive though. Just something to look into.

Kev :)

With all this discussion on drainback, has there been a test on alternate filter locations with filters mounted upright, such as PTE turbo saver ? Would this not aid in drainback ? Each time I change my upright located filter its full of oil.

I "finally" got around to installing an anodized aluminum Kenne-Bell oil pressure booster plate (with modified adapter per instructions), and the RJC Biggie Adapter today.

The super-big Baldwin B9 filter fits in OK, with about 3/16" clearance to the intercooler bracket.

I debated whether or not to plug the oil bypass in the adapter, and finally decided to leave the bypass in. The front cover is stock.

Won't be actually starting the car for another few weeks.