Ball Bearing Turbo Question...

19TTA89

I know 8sec Pete!!!
I am looking into a car that has a restalled D5 in it....will a BB60 or BB61 spool at all with the d5.Is anyone running a bigger BB turbo on a D5 that has any input on how it spools?

Just curious...I am looking into buying a 86 Gn for the awesome body and paint,Its only mods are a Downpipe/Exhaust...Motor has been rebuilt,But pretty much stock....Balanced rotating assembly .030 over forged pistons,Stockish cam,Stock heads..just new valves.Dutt neck intercooler.I am going to be ordering a set of 60's and a new Turbotweak chip also.

Would like to see the car run into the mid 11's with a decent launch..What do you think?

Shouldn't be a problem for you to go mid 11's with this setup.

I had on my car for a short time a Turbonetics 60-1 ball bearing turbo with my stock D5 convertor, and it actually spooled faster than my TA49! On my only pass at the track , It went a 11.90 @ 115 with a 1.60 60ft, popping the headgasket at the 1000 ft mark, would of been a mid 11 sec pass. The rest of my combo is in my sig below.

:)

I guess there are not many people running one of the BB turbos on a stock conv....I guess I may be the test mule...precisions site says the 6131 bb and its "boosted" replacement will spool on a stock conv.....just may see about that.

I have the GTB6131E with a stock D5 and it spools like it did with the stocker. It fit my goals perfectly. My full combo and times with poor traction is listed below.....

Retire Those Teensy-Weensy Obsolete 49s Already!!

Ran a non-ball bearing LT-61 and stock D5
for several years.

(Great initial beginner's upgrade, at that time.)

Spooled like the factory turbo...only diff was more power.

Moved on to a BB66...same D5. Same spool...and more power.
--------------------------------------------------

Honestly, if everyone w/a D5 had tried a 61 first, (even the non-BB),

there would be no more 49s sold. The "myth" re: spool w/a 61 is BS.

HTH -- :smile:

I guess there are not many people running one of the BB turbos on a stock conv....I guess I may be the test mule...precisions site says the 6131 bb and its "boosted" replacement will spool on a stock conv.....just may see about that.

You might not be the first test mule;) I got the same info you did after much research. I run the stock D5. I just installed the turbo, but have yet to run it. We'll see...

Running CPT-61. Spools great. 2800 stall, a bit more than stock, but still I think the BB tech is really worth the extra $$$

Archaic equipment

Ran a non-ball bearing LT-61 and stock D5
for several years.

(Great initial beginner's upgrade, at that time.)

Spooled like the factory turbo...only diff was more power.

Moved on to a BB66...same D5. Same spool...and more power.
--------------------------------------------------

Honestly, if everyone w/a D5 had tried a 61 first, (even the non-BB),

there would be no more 49s sold. The "myth" re: spool w/a 61 is BS.

Man Wish I would have known that lil fact as I would have given it a go for sure instead of taking TE44 baby steps. At least 19TTA89 will have that fact and mate a bb 60 series to his D5.

HTH -- :smile:

Yeah I'm using an old archaic TE44 (basically a 49er) I plan/hope to upgrade this year to a CPT 61 or 66 bb/journal combo, probably have to go bigger with injectors 60 Motrons at least . Jack do you think 009's and a double splash of whiskey will cover the fuel needs of a 61 or will I be at the edge? TIA Live and learn.

6152 Bb

My time is in my sig running the 6152BB and 60lb motos. 1.754 60' on ET streets; I was very impressed with how it spooled, with the tires I was leaving at 7psi. I am very anxious to see how this turbo will do on the upgrade we are currently working on, I am stepping up to a 400 with a 3200 stall and brake :confused: