Best 60 foot on TRUE street tires?

jurassic five 7

Hello,

I was wondering what has been your best 60 foot on TRUE street tires? Not MT ET radials, or any other sticky tire. Just plain ole street tires.

I would like to get some MT ET radials, but i need real streat tires for the trip to Noble since my BFG Drag Rads are getting bald...well ARE bald. So I dont know if i wanna use regular street tires at the the shoot out or drive down there on the bald BFG's and have my MT ET's to bolt onto at the track. I dont have money for both as of now.

So it's be safe for the trip and have street tires, run a worse 60 foot at the strip, or have a good 60 foot and have sticky tires on there at the track and baldness with the drive there and back.

Note: this will be my first time at the track with my car running it.

-Adam

On P215 65 R15, Eagle HP's I have 60'd 1.87. Now that was my best ever at Renyolds ( Silver Dollar Raceway). I have done a bunch of 1.90's. But my usual is around a 2.03-2.12. Thats leaving with 0psi boost at 2000 rpm. Which gets me high 12.50's to low 12.60's at 110 to 114mph. I have wanted to hit the 11's on true street tires but I do not think it will happen,,,,,,,,at least not on 215's. As a note this was done with my full suspension in place and with the front sway bar connected.

unless you have boost set way back or a large exhaust leak the street tires are hard to get hooked which makes being consistent or quick off the tree very difficult , youll have to leave at nearly zero boost or less

fwiw i went 1.85 on 255/60-15 cooper cobras , stock turbo but had to walk it out at 3000 before dropping the pedal (went 12.49 108 that pass),

i would put the stickies in the trunk and change them in the pits when you get there

That's what im concerned about. the 60 foot and launching at 0 psi. Sure the track will be prepped properly at the Buick vs. Ford shootout, but i think once i hit 10-15 psi in first gear, i'll be gettin sideways! Maybe my mom will buy two new street tires and then also get the MT ET streets and then get them mounted on my bros MC SS wheels.

I'm not wanting to have a BS run, but i want to be safe on the trip there.

-Adam

why not MT drag radials? They last fairly well for street/strip use. They hook like glue.

If you're talking actual drag slicks, nope. I dont wanna buy inner-tubes and also drill holes in my wheels. If i wanted to use slicks, i could of used my friends Hoosier's which im taking to Noble to give to a guy who lives there.

I talked to my mom and I think i will be getting regular tires to mount on my GTA's, but then getting MT ET street radials to mount on the SS wheels.

-Adam

hes not talking about slick, MT DRAG RADIALS are DOT tires. They have the fastest DR times if Im not mistaken. No tubes, and its a DOT radial tire.

My son went 1.88 on 255/60/15 cooper cobra's and ran 13.60. This was in a Cutlass not a GN.

Years ago when the T was closer to stock I would put down 1.7's all day long with a few 1.69's on a good surface. Pepboy tires were my favorite. :D

Get some drag radials 275/60/15 bfg drag radials or M/T my car runs 1.63-1.70 60 fts on 8#boost launch

If you want to be safe get the drag radials. I do not know how much power your car makes but it is not easy to run quick on actual street tires. And if the track goes south on-ya it is down right unsafe. You will usually get killed in the 1/8 and have to chase them down at the end of the quarter. In the 1/8 I usually hit the traps at 85-87mph and gain about another 22-24mph in the last of the 1/4. You will not be able to floor it in first at all. Not being at full throttle will cause you to shift a little early into second. Depending on the track you may be able to reach full throttle by the end of second. Street tire are not consistant at all. Mornings are the best for me,,,,,,,, or when ever the track surface is cool. It is fun to take down a V8 with slicks on little P215's.

1.83 on Pep Boy Futura's 245/50/16's. That was on a 1lb launch.
The track was well prepped for a big race the next day.
It usually 60ft high 1.90's.

1.60's on BFG Drag Radials 255/50/16's.

I went 1.81 on some decade old, dry rotted, 215, BFG radial TA tires. 100% stock car. Stock waste gate rod, stock chip, literally 100% stock.

Well, I'm going to get new street tires AND the MT ET radials.

The tires I will be getting are the Cooper Zeon 2XS, I havent heard many bad things about these for the price. My friend has them on his 96 Z28, and he hasnt complained about them either.

I will be mounting the Coopers on the GTA's and the ET radials on the SS wheels.

Hope to cut some good times at Noble!

-Adam

I had Nitto's on my cobra, and they hooked nowhere near as good as the Dunlop SP Sport M2's that are on the GN. But I dont think they make them any more. Have to call Dunlop and ask what the equivalent is. Those things hooked miraculously well in 1st gear under full throttle and 20psi. They're old now and dont hook as well, but still better than the nittos did.

i went 1.72 60ft in my Lightning with 285/50 ZR18's goodyears on the truck.. i was HELL NO, so i turned around and it did 2 more times in the low 1.7*'s.. i couldn't believe it and it never happen again :frown: .

Managed some high 1.7's a few weeks back on my Firestone Firehawks (255/60-15). Had to get them REAL hot to do it, but I could launch at close to 5# of boost.

My best on Pep Boys Futura 265/50/15 was 1.99 60ft. This was about a 2lbs launch. Ran a 13.03 @ 106.2

With 275-60-15 BFG DR's i went 1.60-1.62 all day long on 5 lb launches with a mild engine at 20 psi boost. Car was going 11.60's.