Best Converter

PTC is one of the better ones, with the least slippage at wot. However they are spragless which runs a bit hotter than a converter with a sprag. The benifit is they are unbreakable. Dusty bradford is the one you need to talk to, as he knows what works and what won't and will ship to Canada.

What model/part number is it, etc.

It's not actually new. It's been around for the last 4-5 years...we just kept it to ourselves;)

The converter for your application will depend on several variables on your car and are built to match that car. PM me for more info.

I have an AC 16930 right now, I will be pulling it out to look it over in the next couple weeks and then I'll make a decision.

It's not actually new. It's been around for the last 4-5 years...we just kept it to ourselves;)

The converter for your application will depend on several variables on your car and are built to match that car. PM me for more info.

Dusty
Compare me the PTC vs ATI Converters please...

Thanks
Joe

If you ever get the chance to compare internal workmanship and technology, you can't beat Neal Chance.

I know the real art carr works great in my th200. If you decide you want to try one my friend has an almost new cpt (real art carr) approx 3500 stall without a brake. It has 7 passes on it and he is going back to a th200. He wants $500.00 plus freight.

If you ever get the chance to compare internal workmanship and technology, you can't beat Neal Chance.

A buddy of mine has a ATI, removes it to get a Neal CHance. From running in the 8's with the ATI slowed down with the Neal Chance. Removed the Neal, re installed the ATI and boomed back to the 8's..
Don't know if the Workmanship would have anything to do with this..:confused:

A buddy of mine has a ATI, removes it to get a Neal CHance. From running in the 8's with the ATI slowed down with the Neal Chance. Removed the Neal, re installed the ATI and boomed back to the 8's..
Don't know if the Workmanship would have anything to do with this..:confused:
Did he try tuning the converter to his application? The bolt togethers are very good for that. You can play with endplays, pumps, impellers, stators to get it dialed into your needs. The Neal Chance converters usually will come on the tight side. Especially the Pro Mod models. They would rather see you running as efficient a setup as possible. But, sometimes you just have sacrifice efficiency with a looser converter to get the better time slips. Torque converters are an item that must be tuned to your setup. Did he just throw one in that someone lent to him or was it made to his requirements?

Did he just throw one in that someone lent to him or was it made to his requirements?[/QUOTE]

I don't know Don..I never asked that question.
If he reads this post I am sure he will know that I am talking about him. He might jump in and give his opinion...

Dusty
Compare me the PTC vs ATI Converters please...

Thanks
Joe

I have never saw the inside of an ATI to comment. Each company will have their own way of doing things. Some may recommend you a 10", the other a 9" etc. It comes down to someone knowing what converter fits your application from experience. The specifics of the converter will depend on the application. The converter we run in the TSM and TSO cars are the same hand made internals as PTC's line of products for the Outlaw Street cars which take 1800hp+ of abuse every week.

There is no need for a high $$$$ bolt together converter if you buy from someone who knows your set-up. Some people have great luck with a Chance converter which is a great product. Dave Fiscus pulled his Chance out recently after they had a couple shots at getting the right set-up but could not find it. He has borrowed a PTC from another racer to try, I'll know results soon.

There is no need for a high $$$$ bolt together converter if you buy from someone who knows your set-up. Some people have great luck with a Chance converter which is a great product. Dave Fiscus pulled his Chance out recently after they had a couple shots at getting the right set-up but could not find it. He has borrowed a PTC from another racer to try, I'll know results soon.[/QUOTE]

Dusty
I will keep your Input in hand when the purchase for a Converter will come around.
I think that my decision will be on either the PTC or the ATI. It will not depend on the cost, rather the feedback I hear.

Joe

There is no need for a high $$$$ bolt together converter if you buy from someone who knows your set-up. Some people have great luck with a Chance converter which is a great product. Dave Fiscus pulled his Chance out recently after they had a couple shots at getting the right set-up but could not find it. He has borrowed a PTC from another racer to try, I'll know results soon.

Dusty
I will keep your Input in hand when the purchase for a Converter will come around.
I think that my decision will be on either the PTC or the ATI. It will not depend on the cost, rather the feedback I hear.

Joe[/QUOTE]

OK. I think Anderson was specing ATI converters at one time. To me, the most important part is dealing with someone who knows what the V6 needs. This gives you the best shot at getting the right converter the first time.

The stall of the TC I'm using is about 2350 at 0 boost. For my combination, it really should be at the very least 3500 (no nitrous). I talked with the fellas at Neal Chance about loosening the stall up a tad and they responded that it would require a different pump which would shoot coupling efficiency out the window once the engine was on boost. He also knew I was using nitrous to spool anyway and asked why I just didn't set the system up to shoot at WOT. I've currently overhauled my fuel system so that I could do just that. During some static testing on the rack, with the transbrake applied, the nitrous shot would push the stall to around 3400 in an instant (less than .3 seconds).

You have to understand that the torque converter you pick for racing to use with a small engine and a large turbo will ALWAYS be a compromise. Actually, the application calls for 2 totally different torque converters. One at launch that would have a high enough stall to get our racing turbos up to boost as quick as possible and another for after the engine is on boost to provide the most efficient coupling for the remainder of the run. Fellas, I hate to break it to you, but there will never be one T/C that will provide both perfectly. Like I said before, you will end up with a compromise. That doesn't mean you can't get great ETs with the available technology, you just have to understand the give and take of the situation.
From Neal Chance's point of view, they're used to providing T/Cs to some very high powered cars. Engines that don't have such a large jump of T/C need from launch to on-boost, as our V6s do. They haved learned from experience with their base clients that loosening a T/C that runs behind an engine that might really produce 600+ ft lbs of torque, once on boost, for the vast majority of the run is not the best way to go, as far as coupling efficiency goes. I can't blame them for being hesitant to recommend loosening a T/C, look at the kind of cars their dealing with all the time.