best performance mod's for the $$$

sonseeker

Have a bone stock GN and would like to make it go faster.What would be the the best improvements to make it a 12 second car? Needs to be stock appearing and very reliable.Planning on spending 1k-2k at most.

Before you begin to mod the car you must do some basics that will not improve performance, but will allow for future mods. To start with you will need an upgraded fuel system and hot wire kit, scanmaster and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Then best bang for the buck seems to be an alky kit and TT chip. Of coarse you will need either an adjustable waste gate or boost regulator to adjust boost. You may want to also consider the spring cleaning. Have fun.

Before you begin to mod the car you must do some basics that will not improve performance, but will allow for future mods. To start with you will need an upgraded fuel system and hot wire kit, scanmaster and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Then best bang for the buck seems to be an alky kit and TT chip. Of coarse you will need either an adjustable waste gate or boost regulator to adjust boost. You may want to also consider the spring cleaning. Have fun.

Great advice! Here is the link for spring cleaning: The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide

Above is excellent advice. Prepare your foundation before you start throwing go-fast parts at the car. Read and research.

sonseeker,a tt chip and alkycontrol,dump tube,walboro 340 intank,scanmaster,drag radials,air filter done,for now;) of course after spring cleaning:D

so.....depending on mileage, when should timing chain/gears be done and what about valve springs? these seem to be common comments i see on the sight too. anyone have a "rule of thumb" on these?

info for me and sonseeker!! thanks

Right Away

and when do you start benefiting from DP install?

A 3" DP you will feel right away, but please take a minute and read carefully. Get the scanmaster first, before any performance mods you will be much happier in the end. The spring cleaning is a must do as well. After those, a boost gauge, adj wastegate, DP, and intank w/injectors.
Do your wallet a favor and get a grip on O2 readings and knock retard before bringing the pain, i mean power. :rolleyes:

so.....depending on mileage, when should timing chain/gears be done and what about valve springs? these seem to be common comments i see on the sight too. anyone have a "rule of thumb" on these?

info for me and sonseeker!! thanks
Valve springs NOW...
and when do you start benefiting from DP install?
Not for a while, port the stock elbow or send it to stevemon for him to port it.

Not for a while, port the stock elbow or send it to stevemon for him to port it.[/QUOTE]

x2 just put a ported elbow on 2 days ago what a difference in spool feels great cause i have the 2 pice dp went that way first

I haven't done very much to my car, but removing the orignal cat and installing the test pipe was by far the best bang for the buck.

id have to disagree...the stock elbow ported or not is still really restrictive. i did the 3" gbodyparts dp, and test pipe with the dump. WOW what a friggin difference. For example, when i first got my car i couldnt do a burnout from a dead stop unless i really brake torqued the **** out it. if i didnt the car would slowly roll and as soon as the turbo spooled up the back tires would break loose. after the dp and test pipe install the turbo spools like mad! just mash it from a stop all i saee in my rear view is smoke. Plus the turbo sound got louder. how loud my turbo is when it spools turns heads where ever i am, just my opinion tho.

id have to disagree...the stock elbow ported or not is still really restrictive. i did the 3" gbodyparts dp, and test pipe with the dump. WOW what a friggin difference. For example, when i first got my car i couldnt do a burnout from a dead stop unless i really brake torqued the **** out it. if i didnt the car would slowly roll and as soon as the turbo spooled up the back tires would break loose. after the dp and test pipe install the turbo spools like mad! just mash it from a stop all i saee in my rear view is smoke. Plus the turbo sound got louder. how loud my turbo is when it spools turns heads where ever i am, just my opinion tho.

I have to agree. Get a 3" downpipe and get it over with. Then you will be set to the high 9's. If you port the elbow it won't do the most good unless you expand the downpipe a couple of inches down from the flange that bolts up to the elbow. It necks down to about 2 1/8th inches there for a couple of inches. That is still very restictive. You need to take it to a muffler shop and have them use their expander and balloon it out. It will crack the seam. Then have the crack welded and it will now be about 2 3/8th inches. I did that many years ago and could tell the difference. But i'd still just get a 3" downpipe.

fuel upgrade,spring cleaning.i got a huge gain on 3'' dp and 3000 l/u converter i think about .5 tenths.must be able to to get proper tune also

Alky, 340, hotwire, adjust wastegate and regulator, turbo and exhaust

back to what sonseeker is looking for too. costs
can you guys give him/us a rundown of what some of these things can cost us? also, recommend place where you may have purchased parts. I have seen many of the upgrades at various vendor sites on this site. one thing i havent found yet is a source for a nice CAI. sounds easy but.....

Do a compression Test and / or leakdown Test. To make sure the engine is sound before anything else.