best tires for traction on a daily driver?

OneLethal87GN

R.I.P. Lethal GN
I am looking to trade my wire rims in for some drag type rims. I wanted to know what tires were great for traction, but also lasted at least a year or so? Also, what is the cheapest place to buy both? Best sizes? Thanks.

do a search on prasads. otherwise for serious street traction use hosier quicktime pros or mickey thompson et street.
hth

surej

I saw a guy with a 98 6spd formula with 4.10's running at the track with Pep Boy futuras,said they hooked pretty good.

tires

:D :D

I'd like to say a few things here:

I can't tell you how many Nitto drag radials I've sold and how happy customers are with the stickiness vs. mileage (some customers have 9 second cars!!). With normal driving you should see anywhere from 8,000 - 12,000 miles or MORE. Of course when racing you will see less! The key to the Nittos is to heat them up just enough - around 100 degrees. DO NOT OVERHEAT!

I can get you a GREAT price on wheels and tires. Thanks!

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
(315)298-1000
jcofolla@twcny.rr.com
We MEET or BEAT any tire/wheel price!
**for Turbobuick members only**
->Nitto & BF Goodrich drag radial authorized dealer.
->M/T, Hoosier & Phoenix slick dealer.
->Weld wheel authorized dealer!
->American Racing authorized wheel dealer!
->Demon Carb authorized dealer.
->NOS/NX nitrous systems authorized dealer.
->ATI Procharger authorized dealer

I also have nitto's and one thing that I have found that is great about them is that they hook and can handle too. My front tires might last a lot of miles but not the rear.

Got nittos on my stock rims, they wear well for a dr, drive nice, shed water alright, and got over 10k miles on them. And get low 1.70s short times at 4-5# of boost. I know this, the BFGs suck IMO. Can't wait for the 275 60r 15s Nittos. Oh wait, guess I better get my car running first!:rolleyes:

Call me nuts, but my favorite street tire are 26x11.5x15 ET Streets. I use them as my everyday tire. (and everyday driver) They have lasted 4,000 miles so far and i still have half the tread left. Obviously, a radial like the nittos are much more practical and will last longer. I just like to make sure no one out runs me around town! I recommend nittos, but i suggest ET streets! lol Does that make sense? O.....one thing to keep in mind, avoid water at all costs! especially with ET streets! Nittos are fairly good in the rain for a drag radial. Hope i confused you some!

I vote for Nitto's on a daily driver. They work well in the rain & a daily driver WILL see rain. I didn't get the miles out of them I wanted - guess the 90+ for 20+ miles was hard on them.

NOSJohnWE4.... How much for a set of centerline convo pro's with some nitto's on the rear and bfg comp t/a fronts? You have a website or anything?

NOSjohnWE4--I sent you an email yesterday re: American Racing wheels. Did you get the email?

Greetings folks,

Two questions:

1.) Can I get a 255-45 17? If not, what would be the closest equivalent for a 17" rim?

2.) With 255-45 17 Firestone SZ-50's up front, what effect would switching to the Nitto's have in aspects other than straight-line rear traction? Would I upset the car's front/rear handling balance significantly? If so, how would it be evidenced?

The car currently has the SZ-50's in the rear. I very much like how this tire performs in all respects, except for inadequate rear traction (the car spins the tires to 70mph or so.) Ideally, I'd like to solve this problem while retaining the SZ-50's good attributes. Is this, as I suspect, too much to expect from any street drag radial, including the Nitto's?

All opinions much appreciated,
MAP

answers

OneLethal87GN - NOSJohnWE4.... How much for a set of centerline convo pro's with some nitto's on the rear and bfg comp t/a fronts? You have a website or anything?

Lethal -> I don't like to sell the Centerlines as I CAN'T get a good price on them for you guys...everything else I can. What size Nittos? Please e-mail me with specifics so I can answer your questions better. No website as I don't have the time to maintain or build one, nor care to, as it is just another expense. Perhaps in the future. Thanks!

Look Quick NOSjohnWE4--I sent you an email yesterday re: American Racing wheels. Did you get the email?

Quick -> yes, I did get your e-mail and I will respond as soon as my time allows. I'm spending the day with my NEW family on this fathers day. Thanks!

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
jcofolla@twcny.rr.com

You can see the Nitto's on stock rims at my website.

I am on my second set and have found they work well rain or shine.

Dan do you use Nitto Drag Radials 275 50 15 on stock rims all the way around. What is on the front?

i dont care for the nittos, they are short, 25" i think and they dont hook worth a dime on the street on my cars. i know they are the best compramise tire but i like the bf drag 275-60-15 much better. i run et-streets also for serious street action. i think after you start making 400 rwhp and up all drag radials suck on the street.

Ive never had a set of nitto's but I have had some BF GOODRICH drag radials (275 50 15) and loved them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

I run the BFG DR's...

Miles - 3,000-4,000 this is with no track time and a handfull of street races.

Rain - Forget about it, I spun my car 360* @45mph around a slight curve.

Traction - 7 out of 10, if you heat them to much they get slick. They do seemt o get better the more they are heat cycled.

Never had the Nittos but when they come out with the 275/60/15 I might try a set.

I think my next set will be Hoosier Quicktime pros. My buddy is having good luck with these on his low 9 Camaro.

Then again everything gets sticky with a gallon of VHT on them! :D

Nittos

Yes, you CAN fit the Nitto in size 275/50-15 on the stock wheels.

The general opinion is that it might "round" the tire more so that you don't get the full contact patch. However at 25.75 tall (overall inflated tire diameter) it's not really all that short AND at 11.18 in width there is some good amount of rubber to contact the road.

I have some people with 9 second cars running these on the street and ARE VERY HAPPY. It's all a matter of opinion and how you USE them. The ideal temperature for these, AND I'VE SAID IT AT LEAST 10 TIMES ON HERE NOW - IS 100 DEGRESS. So, don't think you can just throw them on and they're going to HOOK. NO tire will including slicks!! YOU HAVE TO HEAT THEM TO THE PROPER TEMPERATURE. HTH and let me know if there are any other questions....take care and God bless.

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
(315)298-1000
jcofolla@twcny.rr.com
We MEET or BEAT any tire/wheel price!
**for Turbobuick members only**
->Nitto & BF Goodrich drag radial authorized dealer.
->M/T, Hoosier & Phoenix slick dealer.
->Weld wheel authorized dealer!
->American Racing authorized wheel dealer!
->Demon Carb authorized dealer.
->NOS/NX nitrous systems authorized dealer.
->ATI Procharger authorized dealer

so John, how in the world do we get our Nittos DOWN to 100* when the outside air is 110*?:)