Bi-turbo hotair ...... PICS INSIDE

Waco84GN

Member Boost-aholics anon
So I roughed in the bi-turbo setup on the engine stand and I wanted to post some pictures of the setup to get some input.

This is gonna be a smoking setup guys; cant wait to get it plumbed up and running.

Easy 10's with this type of setup with 40+ PSI. So what do you think?

FLAME SUIT ON :biggrin: :biggrin:

Jerry jr.

:eek:
So the fresh air from the 1st turbo is propelling the second turbo? And the only charged air actually entering the engine is from the second turbo? I guess I'm just a little confused as to how this will build 40psi unless the second turbo is going to turn twice as fast as normal. Maybe I'm not seeing it correctly. Please explain the set up. Looks ominous though.;)

Rick Dobertin here we come. Hope you do your home work Jerry, it aint as easy as it looks.

yeahhhhh, your doing it wrong.

wrong18.jpg

The pipe at the rear of intake...

The 86 style turbo would spool from the car's exhaust feeding the 84 style turbo's exhaust side. The pipe coming down and going along the valve cover would either wrap back around and go into the front of the intake for hotair; or go into the intercooler and back out and into the intake for an intercooled version.

Was thinking of trying an STS kit approach just to be different would definitely eliminate all of the exhaust headaches in the engine bay. You could run regular headers back to the regular y pipe and feed it into the exhaust side of the turbo.

The only thing I can think of is all of these apps normally use low boost. I think you would need higher egt exhaust gas to get the higher boost numbers that our cars make their power at. By the time you get the air to the back the velocity would have slowed quite a bit.

Anyways, what did ya'll come up with this weekend? The bi-turbo combo we'll be blowing blocks up in no time.

Jerry jr.

hey sorry to shoot you down man but this isnt going to work... i believe what you are going for is a compound turbo setup?:confused: Well turbocharging specifics can get very technical but to make it simple, no matter what you will not gain anything from this because it the end you are limited by the efficiency of the stock turbocharger... Also you would have extreme lag from the first turbo having to spool up completely to spool up the second turbo, and you will loose the heat energy that is provided by the hot exhaust gases traveling through the turbine housing of the turbo.. Again Not to put you down man, i just dont want you to put all that time into something that wont work well.. Its kinda like the guy with the idea of "direct exhaust injection" ( a pipe going from the exhaust to the throttle body to create boost! LOL)
,Dan

I uploaded a quick sketch of how a compound turbo setup works, the stock 86 turbo and a much larger turbo would probably make your 40PSI you want prett efficiently... I dont know if 40PSI is a good idea or not, that up to you to research, nor do i know what turbos would be correct for your setup to compound, but this idea will get you a bit further!:cool: Also dont mind my colorful display lol.
Hope it helps,Dan

Attachments

• Compound Turbo.jpg
    Compound Turbo.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 977
As Ive always been told, turbos spin up from the expanding hot gases coming out of the exhaust. Not the velocity of the flow.

Craig

Wow good stuff guys

This is just a joke trying to get you guys to think about the possibilities of using stock parts to make a new setup. Thank you for your ideas and the compound turbo drawing is awesome.

Jerry jr.

LOL You should've let it go a little longer Jerry. You might have actually gotten someone interested in it.

Eh the design was flawled...

Didn't want to let it go any longer with the flawed design. Would make people think I actually thought that would work.

Anyways I would have to spool the hotair turbo first due to the size restriction in the hotair location. Then I would have to feed into the big 88mm turbo in the 86/7 location.

Sound good?

Jerry jr.

Good one:smile:. I've actually seriously considered doing the sts type of a set up with twins. Wander if it would keep enough heat if everything was wrapped or ceramic coated?:confused: It would have to flow air better than stock...right? Good job on the bi-turbo though. Had us (me) going.

Didn't want to let it go any longer with the flawed design. Would make people think I actually thought that would work.

Anyways I would have to spool the hotair turbo first due to the size restriction in the hotair location. Then I would have to feed into the big 88mm turbo in the 86/7 location.

Sound good?

Jerry jr.

:confused: Your saying in a compound you would want to feed the big turbo with the little turbo?

You should run both the exhaust and intake side of the small turbo to drive the exhaust wheel of the second turbo. Also, more duct tape will be needed. Then only the big turbo will feed the intake of the engine.

You should run both the exhaust and intake side of the small turbo to drive the exhaust wheel of the second turbo. Also, more duct tape will be needed. Then only the big turbo will feed the intake of the engine.

that sounds like it would work but how would you stop the exhaust from going into the intake side before it spooled up?

Okay so I have a very bone stock 3-speed 3.8 Limited without any engine mods. Would I be a candidate in adding an STS Turbo setup to my car? Would love to or should I just go ahead and rebuild or drop something else??