Bit the bullet doing a mini tub

3.8vsix

Well I finally decided to bit the bullet and put some wide tires under the car so maybe I can get some traction. So I took the car down to Johnny at the Hot rod shop in Archdale NC. While there I am going to have the rear end beefed up with new gears, new 30 spline axles, new eaton posi, c clip elimatiors, new billet speciaties street lite wheels with 325/50/15 et street drag radials and aerospace rear disc brakes. Here are some pics of the progress on the car.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0563.JPG
    tn_IMG_0563.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,044
  • tn_IMG_0564.JPG
    tn_IMG_0564.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 1,092
  • tn_IMG_0566.JPG
    tn_IMG_0566.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,071
  • tn_IMG_0567.JPG
    tn_IMG_0567.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,166
More,

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0568.JPG
    tn_IMG_0568.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,031
  • tn_IMG_0569.JPG
    tn_IMG_0569.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,048
  • tn_IMG_0570.JPG
    tn_IMG_0570.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,035
  • tn_IMG_0571.JPG
    tn_IMG_0571.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,032
  • tn_IMG_0572.JPG
    tn_IMG_0572.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,089
Very nice! The car looks awesome! What backspacing are you using? And aproximately how much will the mini tub run you- im thinking of doing the same thing-thats the look i want!

Cool! The rims i have now also have a 5.5" backspacing on a 9" wide rim so these should also work very well when i get mine notched.

Nice!

I did something similar, and was able to put my rear seat back in by trimming some of the wire frame of the rear seat, just the edges, (no one sits on the edges)
my goal was to make it look unmolested, from the outside.

please post more pics.

Got that much done, you might at as well do a roll bar.:cool:

looks great!

these rims are 15x10's
and
backspacing on the wheels are 5.5"

Woow!...it's going to look awesome once everything's done!...I've been thinking of doing my GN exactly the way you just did your car (moving the whole original wheel tub inwards and adding a strip of metal to fill the gap...making it look "almost" original! :eek:)
Also, I have the same wheels (Billet Specialties "Street Lites" 15"x10") as you, except mine have a rear spacing of 4.5"...I wonder if I'll still be able to use them of if I'll have to change them for 5.5"?...:confused:

Anyways, GREAT JOB! :biggrin:

Claude. :)

Claude, not sure on your car with the 5.5 backspace. I am having the rear end cut down a little also. That will have an effect on what backspacing you will need.

Claude, not sure on your car with the 5.5 backspace. I am having the rear end cut down a little also. That will have an effect on what backspacing you will need.

My wheels have a rear spacing of 4.5", not 5.5"...I never planned on narrowing the stock 8.5" differential. Instead, I'd rather sell it complete (already has some Moser spool and axles) and replace it with a Ford 9" also with spool and axles and the correct bracketry to install some Baer or Aerospace disc brakes, but with two (2) calipers to be able to launch with high boost without using the trans-brake ('cause trans-brakes are not allowed in some classes around where I live :rolleyes: If you want to use a "t-b", it's your choice, but they'll put you in a class in which you'll have to run against a bunch of dragsters with delay boxes and throttle strops, etc, no thanks, not for me :frown:...
Whew!...that's going to be lot to do at the same time...tubbing the car, changing the rear axle, getting new wheels and tires and dual caliper brakes!...:eek:
One last thing I noticed...You said you were going to use some 325-50-15 tires...Is there a reason why you didn't choose to use some 390-45-15's instead? I thought that if I'm going to tub the car to use big tires, I might as well go with HUGE ones!...:biggrin: These would need 12" wide rims though...

See link: (c) 390/45R15

Thanks,

Claude. :wink:

I think the 325 are about as big as you could put under there without major modifications. The 325's are still pretty tight even with the mini tub.:eek:

I think the 325 are about as big as you could put under there without major modifications. The 325's are still pretty tight even with the mini tub.:eek:

Mmmm..yeah I should've thought about that!...:eek:
I guess that 325's are the max you can go with just a frame notch and anything bigger will require a real tubbed frame, some suspension components relocation, etc...:rolleyes:
Now I understand your choice to go with the 325'. :wink:

Thanks,

Claude. :)