Bought a 85 GN looking to go fast

Lvnspeeed

I am looking for a low 11 or mid 10 sec. setup any thoughts? Yes I know it will cost MONEY. Yes I can do all the work my self. I am looking for proven setups please.

I cant believe it no one has any suggestions.... I saw thw setups on GNTYP. Any thoughts on those?

I would suggest doing some reading because everyone has their's set up differently. You are going to need to know a good fabricator because no one hardly makes any aftermarket anything for these cars any more. Go through some posts and collect information. I'm not sure any one set up is going to hand you a time, lots of tuning is involved, trying to find a proto type turbo with a dynamic seal is going to be the real challenge without it the turbo won't work, at least not for long. Like I said you can do research but the market isn't there for these cars so you will have to be innovative like the rest of us. This isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination. My build is on gnttype.org as well but lots of tuning and testing is what really paid off.

I am looking for a low 11 or mid 10 sec. setup any thoughts? Yes I know it will cost MONEY. Yes I can do all the work my self. I am looking for proven setups please.

If your goal is low 11 to mid 10's (there is a lot of HP difference :eek: ), You will need to run about 128 mph in a 3600 lb car, or put 600WHP to the ground.
Build it for 132 mph and if the tune if off, you will still get the slip. :eek:
Sure it can be done in HA version!

My own “prejudice aside”, you never mentioned any limitations such as;
“NOS”, Stage block, IC’d set-up, light car, 87 intake, Non stock location turbo, IC’d, 100% Methanol, E85, etc …………… So I guess it won’t be that hard after all.

I would suggest doing some reading because everyone has their's set up differently. You are going to need to know a good fabricator because no one hardly makes any aftermarket anything for these cars any more. Go through some posts and collect information. I'm not sure any one set up is going to hand you a time, lots of tuning is involved, trying to find a proto type turbo with a dynamic seal is going to be the real challenge without it the turbo won't work, at least not for long. Like I said you can do research but the market isn't there for these cars so you will have to be innovative like the rest of us. This isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination. My build is on gnttype.org as well but lots of tuning and testing is what really paid off.

X2

OK I guess my goals are out of line.

WHat can I do to this car to make it run to my goals? I was thinking upgrading the turbo (to what I have no idea figured someone could recomend one) Champion Heads, Achaol injection, exhaust (hoker????), good tires(MT ET), scanmaster (do they make one to work on these cars 84-85) KN air filter OR... Should I just see if I can find a 86-87 complete motor and ECU? Then go from there?

I have been reading but I have not seen where people have said what setups they are running

WHat can I do to this car to make it run to my goals? I was thinking upgrading the turbo (to what I have no idea figured someone could recomend one) Champion Heads, Achaol injection, exhaust (hoker????), good tires(MT ET), scanmaster (do they make one to work on these cars 84-85) KN air filter OR... Should I just see if I can find a 86-87 complete motor and ECU? Then go from there?

I have been reading but I have not seen where people have said what setups they are running

Building an 11 sec HA is not for the faint at heart, but, it can be done.
Convert to IC'd, and parts are easier to find, and although much easier, 11's will still not fall in your lap. :eek:

Tubo, intake, heads, exhaust/headers/DP, monitoring tools, knowledge, patience, determination and $$$$, and you can get it done. :cool:

With your goals at this point I would get an 86/87 motor before you empty your wallet. My Hot air and others require custom exhaust parts and a conversion of the ECM, IGN,....... The bottom line is the 86/87 setup is completely better due to the turbo location. THis allows for an easy larger turbo setup. I am happy with my hot air. Do more homework before you spend yur money. My 2 cents. Brad

Thanks for the heads up

WHat fuel pump to get now that the walbors are no longer avilable? What turbo to get staying as a hot air? Where to get adjustable waste gate rod? Do they make a scan tool for the hot airs? What about ALKY injection? When will I need a converter?

Thanks for the heads up

WHat fuel pump to get now that the walbors are no longer avilable? What turbo to get staying as a hot air? Where to get adjustable waste gate rod? Do they make a scan tool for the hot airs? What about ALKY injection? When will I need a converter?

Walbro are available - Get one from RACETRONIX
Largest bolt on turbo - TA33
Make your own adjustable rod - Do a search
Scantool - get PL and don't look back
Alky injection - ALKYCONTROL
Converter - Depends on your set-up/combo

Hope this helps. ;)

Yes it does

On the scan tool what do you mean "PL"? OOOPS never mind you mean powerlogger right?

Walbro are available - Get one from RACETRONIX
Largest bolt on turbo - TA33
Make your own adjustable rod - Do a search
Scantool - get PL and don't look back
Alky injection - ALKYCONTROL
Converter - Depends on your set-up/combo

Hope this helps. ;)

+1

Thanks guys what about injectors? Where can I find a ta33 turbo? can I send mine somewhere to be modified? Oh yea I saw some 3" down pipes on Ebay last night are they worth buying?

Injector size depends on what you want to do really. The bigger the better then you don't have to keep upgrading. Sorry but there is no set blue print for these cars and everyone has done things a bit differently. I would suggest upgrading to an 86/87 ecm if you want to have the thing run correctly. The 84-85 ecm is very limited. Precision turbo can upgrade your turbo to a ta33 or even limited can do that. You will have to call to confirm. The three inch down pipe makes a huge difference but make sure it's for the 84/85 set up.

Injector size depends on what you want to do really. The bigger the better then you don't have to keep upgrading. Sorry but there is no set blue print for these cars and everyone has done things a bit differently. I would suggest upgrading to an 86/87 ecm if you want to have the thing run correctly. The 84-85 ecm is very limited. Precision turbo can upgrade your turbo to a ta33 or even limited can do that. You will have to call to confirm. The three inch down pipe makes a huge difference but make sure it's for the 84/85 set up.
+3 :D

Thanks guys what about injectors? Where can I find a ta33 turbo? can I send mine somewhere to be modified? Oh yea I saw some 3" down pipes on Ebay last night are they worth buying?

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you have a LOT of reading to do.
No one is going to hand you a "proven build up" for a mid 10 second HA set-up, and even if someone did, it does not mean you can "go buy the parts", or tune the combo. Too many variables, goals etc.

For example:
A goal may be: Reliable mid 12sec DD, must run on 93/alky, with AC as a "MUST HAVE"!
Must maintain stock location Turbo, etc etc.
See, all different goals and aspirations for these cars. :biggrin:

TA33 is about $900 from Limit Engineering and is "only" good for low 12’s.
Won't get you to your mid 10 goal .........:wink:
Use the search function (your best friend here :eek:) and read, read, read. :cool:

Oh, BTW;
Easiest and fastest way to get a mid 10 sec TR?
Buy a 9 second car, and turn the boost down.
:tongue:

+2 :tongue:

whats the link, they for 84-85?? Im looking for one.

Uhm .......
You generally can not "go buy" a TA33.
You send your stock turbo in to get modified/upgraded as most turbo outfits do not have a core for the HA (84-85)
How about :: Limit Engineering :: ??

Another good vendor is Precision Turbo. I have used both Limited and Precision. Personal preference is stay with either of these vendors. My 2 cents. Brad

Just my 2 cents is that BRAD and Jerryl are the two that I deal with and trust with info and have saved me alot of $ from doing wastfull things. I would start with the ecm and chip,power logger or scanmaster, fuel pump, fuel reg, injctors, wires and then tune

OK so after days of reading and wearing out the search button....:biggrin:

I think I am going to convert my 85 hot air set up to an 87 IC set up. First off I DONT WANT to stay stock. I plan on a larger turbo FM IC ported intake and heads(Champion). So from what I can tell I need the following:

87 ECU
87 engine harness
87 pullies and brackets
fad up the fuel line
87 t-body (RIGHT?????)
ELECT fan (already in the car)
87 headers
87 coil pack
balancer (do I reall need this?)
cam sensor (do I reall need this?)
passenger side relays and mount (do I reall need this?)
main accessory bracket
alt and ac comp y bracket
turbo mount bracket
oil feed line (and modify the block)
crank sensor bracket (do I reall need this?)
turbo drain line and block fitting
fuel rail (do I reall need this?)
inj harness
coolant lines

GO FAST PARTS
aftermarket injectors
ALKY injection
After market converter
hot wire kit (on order already)
Walboro fuel pump (on order already)
adjustable Fuel PSI regulator

SO AM I MISSING ANYTHING TO THE CONVERSION?