Bov

The real question comes down to this for us.

A blow off can run up to $300, a rebuilt turbo can cost about $350.
Do you spend it turbo longevity or save the $$ for when it goes toast for all the other reasons we see them get destroyed over??

We have seen many automatics go over 100k on the stock turbo and most guys here swap out turbos every other year. Personally, it does not make much financial sense to run one when you will end up killing it with motor debris in the oil before any thrust bearing problem from slamming the throttle shut. I have a blow off and came to realize this after my turbo got smoked anyways.

the nice thing about living in 2007 is the fact that we have updated technology and knowhow so we do not have to rely on the technology and knowhow from 1984.

the less thrust bearing load the better

I agree that tech has improved (both evolutionarily and revolutionarily); my point is that it's historical (mine and others) information that makes my point. Engineers that designed this 20 year old POS didn't find it necessary to incorporate a BOV into the system; even today, only a few OEMs produce a turbo car with a BOV- most have a bypass/diverter valve, if anything at all.

They're about as useful as a turbo timer.

Off topic for a sec- most of your posts refer to products you have available for sale. Ever consider becoming a supporting vendor?

OK, back on topic- Think they're useless for most street applications, but they make a ton of cash for the suppliers.....

I agree that tech has improved (both evolutionarily and revolutionarily); my point is that it's historical (mine and others) information that makes my point. Engineers that designed this 20 year old POS didn't find it necessary to incorporate a BOV into the system; even today, only a few OEMs produce a turbo car with a BOV- most have a bypass/diverter valve, if anything at all.

They're about as useful as a turbo timer.

Off topic for a sec- most of your posts refer to products you have available for sale. Ever consider becoming a supporting vendor?

OK, back on topic- Think they're useless for most street applications, but they make a ton of cash for the suppliers.....

today ALL cars equiped with a turbo have a BOV/CBV/DV all are essentially the same. a CBV/DV can be vented if you pull the hose and plug the opening in the intake. all 3 do the exact same thing, get pressurized air out of the intake and divert it elsewhere so it doesnt slam the compressor wheel and slow down spool/put damaging load on the thrust bearings

For autos, obviously the BOV it's not used as much as it is on a manual car so it is natural the turbo will last longer, but why risk a $2,300 GT42R turbo or even a $1,500 GT35R? or even a $500 16G, wouldn't you rather put a $250 BOV on as an insurance policy?

as for the off topic part, the reason I am on the board is to help with tech problems people have about TiAL, i'm not here to bash others products/try to sell people on our stuff...I found the forum because I track the linked images/URL's off the TiAL site. I usually monitor the sites for a good period of time, then if questions arise I will join and help (can you tell we take care of our customers? :biggrin: )

today ALL cars equiped with a turbo have a BOV/CBV/DV all are essentially the same. a CBV/DV can be vented if you pull the hose and plug the opening in the intake. all 3 do the exact same thing, get pressurized air out of the intake and divert it elsewhere so it doesnt slam the compressor wheel and slow down spool/put damaging load on the thrust bearings

For autos, obviously the BOV it's not used as much as it is on a manual car so it is natural the turbo will last longer, but why risk a $2,300 GT42R turbo or even a $1,500 GT35R? or even a $500 16G, wouldn't you rather put a $250 BOV on as an insurance policy?

as for the off topic part, the reason I am on the board is to help with tech problems people have about TiAL, i'm not here to bash others products/try to sell people on our stuff...I found the forum because I track the linked images/URL's off the TiAL site. I usually monitor the sites for a good period of time, then if questions arise I will join and help (can you tell we take care of our customers? :biggrin: )

I guess we'll just agree... to agree:D

Though I STILL think they sound like rice!

This one kid in town has a very loud BOV on a VW something that thing must be set at ½ pound because it goes of just by looking at the gas pedal.

This one kid in town has a very loud BOV on a VW something that thing must be set at ½ pound because it goes of just by looking at the gas pedal.

yea I hate those ones the most. WRX's and srt's are known for that. Size of the BOV on those cars is bigger then the inlet bell on their turbo hahaha! At least the subies have a muffler, those srt's are anyoning! But the bumble bee hum of the subies is no treat either.

BOV = good
Rice = bad

darkside