Brian Hofer trans's?

Turbo6Smackdown

Anyone know what's up with Brian Hofer? Is he ok? He suddenly backed out of a trans I was going to give to him, with no reason. Does anyone know what happened to him? Is he still around?

Anyone know what's up with Brian Hofer? Is he ok? He suddenly backed out of a trans I was going to give to him, with no reason. Does anyone know what happened to him? Is he still around?

Tony,
I have a very simple policy: "qualify your customers". With the slight amount of interaction we have had.... I don`t want the hastle. Plain and simple.
I apologized to you for not wanting to do the job, I should have just come out and said it. My bad.

Brian

Tony,
I have a very simple policy: "qualify your customers". With the slight amount of interaction we have had.... I don`t want the hastle. Plain and simple.
I apologized to you for not wanting to do the job, I should have just come out and said it. My bad.

Brian

Huh? I'm not following you. Slight interaction? Hassle? What are you talking about? I offered you a job, and was going to drop a gn trans off to you. Was going to pay 100% up front. Just exactly what else were you wanting??

hey, don't feel bad. i just had an engine builder tell me i'm crazy, and he's not going to do my work because i want him to do crazy stuff. so now he doesn't get the job, or the next job that is in the planning stages now. all i wanted was a .9800 bushing put in my rods so i can use a .927 pin. it's in the powersource book. it's for a budget motor using all stock parts and a flat tappet cam, it's a buget motor. i'm learning on this one, this next one will get some money parts in it.

I would bet it has something to do with making a remark such as in your signature now, Quote:" Was going to go with a Hofer trans, but he backed out for no reason. Must be nice to have soo much money, that one can turn down work on command. I envy him."
I doubt Brian has so much money he thinks that way, but I'll bet that he prefers earning his money without losing his hair from dealing with people that constantly question his decisions without following his instructions, look at any postings here in the trans section, everyone seems to "interput" adjustments or settings to suit their wants without considering what said adjustments will do to the life of the trans, then piss and moan 6 weeks or months later when the smoke leaks out, but it was working so well.....:eek:

I dont know who or what was said, but whether it's Brian, Chris, Lonnie, Bruce or Dave, if you don't or won't follow their instructions exactly, maybe you should learn to build it yourself, it's easy...just ask anyone.

Kevin.

Huh? I'm not following you. Slight interaction? Hassle? What are you talking about? I offered you a job, and was going to drop a gn trans off to you. Was going to pay 100% up front. Just exactly what else were you wanting??

There are obviously two sides to this story. Get over it. Move on. Not that hard. Brian is a very respectable man and I have never read a negative thing about it.

Brian built my trans and I have had no issues. I told him what I wanted, he told me what he had, and we made a deal. I had one concern with it and he took care of it hassle free. In fact, he probably doesn't even remember me as a customer since I only emailed him three times after I installed the trans!

Posting things in your signature show you are pretty immature. Move on to another builder. :cool:

Jason

I would bet it has something to do with making a remark such as in your signature now, Quote:" Was going to go with a Hofer trans, but he backed out for no reason. Must be nice to have soo much money, that one can turn down work on command. I envy him."
I doubt Brian has so much money he thinks that way, but I'll bet that he prefers earning his money without losing his hair from dealing with people that constantly question his decisions without following his instructions, look at any postings here in the trans section, everyone seems to "interput" adjustments or settings to suit their wants without considering what said adjustments will do to the life of the trans, then piss and moan 6 weeks or months later when the smoke leaks out, but it was working so well.....:eek:

I dont know who or what was said, but whether it's Brian, Chris, Lonnie, Bruce or Dave, if you don't or won't follow their instructions exactly, maybe you should learn to build it yourself, it's easy...just ask anyone.

Kevin.

Question his decisions??? I put that in my signature, AFTER he declined me, with no real reason. He just quit answering the phone. I NEVER questioned any of his decisions. I went to him, and he knows this, because he's one of the best around lol. ALL I wanted, was a rebuilt trans lol. I never even hassled him about the price. What he asked, was fine by me.....

Coming to a local cruise strip near you this May, RJC girdled 109 w/ forged crank, custom roller cam, TA61, 60lb mototrons, 10" ptc 2800 N/L, power plate, 23 row slic, razors alky, gen 2 translator, bmr 4" integral maf intake pipe, extender extreme alky chip, rjc engine brace, russ merritt wires, walbro pump w/ hotwire, wbo2 w/ powerlogger/scanmaster, 2.5" dual stainless exhaust, & 10.5 mt et drags. Was going to go with a Hofer trans, but he backed out for no reason. Must be nice to have soo much money, that one can turn down work on command. I envy him.

judging by your new sig, he knew what he was getting into. Smart move Brian.

I was thinking the very same Dr Boost, btw, I really dig your sig, tell Mike and Carol I said Hi, lol.

Good call Brian.

Kevin.

sorry but this thread is funny!!! I watch a lot of stupid stuff on here and say to myself.. I wouldn't deal with this guy or that guy !! lot's of "dickbeaters" on sites that will send ya 50 emails about something and then disappear :rolleyes: Then the ones that want to pick your brain then do the complete opposite :p
.. Oh I have had guys bring their cars to me to do what THEY wanted me to do. I'd do it an then they would cry because it didn't work. I'd reply "I know it wasn't goin to work BUT YOU told me to do it!" They didn't think it was as funny as I did it.
Last thing. As I would talk to customers I can figure out what kinda guys they are. Prob just an "old thing". If I didn't like your "phone attitude" I'd simply be to busy to take on any more work :biggrin:

judging by your new sig, he knew what he was getting into. Smart move Brian.

He can also read your previous post and get as feel to what type of person you are. Your sig. is not going to help at all. If you get it back and set the detent wrong, it will kill it in short order. So then you'd have to pull it, get it back to him and pay for him to replace the damaged parts. Would you have a problem with that,and admit that you were at fault because you thought you had the detent set right? Soooo many don't and this is a headache to the builder.

Then you have the half throttle 15-20 psi driving guys that are applying a heavy load to the trans with only 50% or so of the line pressure being applied.
This too will kill a trans and the driver blames the builder again.

Oh, and the guys the buy all baddest biggest parts then can't tune their own cars. Blame the engine, trans and converter builders when it doesn't go 10.0s, high 9's:rolleyes:

Im sure you get the picture by now but any vendor that has read it will have a heads up thanks to your signature.

I'm not saying you fit either of these profiles. If Brian thinks he may not be able to build a trans to make you happy he has every right to refuse the job and does not have to give you any justification.

I've been very happy dealing with Brian and his transmission in my car. If I ever need any trans work in the future it'll be with Brian.

Brian if you thought this work was a "hassle" you must have hated me! :biggrin:

Well, let this be a first then. Out of 60+ or so good experiences with the Hoffster, there has to be one "not gonna do it".

Shame on you Brian....meany.

Dan

I have had my own business for over 25 years. Eventually, a smart business person knows when to avoid certain jobs or deals if he/she has learned anything.

I too have avoided certain customers or jobs over the years and its not always due to any particular reason. Sometimes, there is just a sense that the personalities are not compatible and if one pays attention to ones instincts alot of potential grief can be avoided on both sides if at least one party recognizes this in advance and "passes".

Selection is not exclusive to the customer...

have had my own business for over 25 years. Eventually, a smart business person knows when to avoid certain jobs or deals if he/she has learned anything.

OOOps there it is...............:eek:

Wow, Ive known Tsmakdown for quite awhile.. never gave me a hassle..lol

Its prolly cuz Mr Cook up in Flint is too busy... wonder if phone guy got qualified before his took a put after 40 miles

Yep give Dave a call:cool:

Wow y is everyone so quick to throw T smackdown to the wolves?? Mabye the sig was a lil much but that is an odd thing to for a vendor to do..Mcsteels post only confirmed what a TB shop owner told me about brian yesterday..I dont really care to air his durty laundry cause hes never done anything wrong to me. He found a loophole and hes working it.. I too was preparing my pockets to buy one of his transmissions but between the outlandish price i got to do a non TB non performance rebuild and what i was told yesterday by a guy with 10 TB in his shop and mcsteels post confirming it im gonna pass also...

I once worked for a guy that was offered a difficult job that he really didn't want to do and didn't know how to tell the customer no. I told him to simply double the price. He said, what happens if they take me up on the higher price.....I told him that first, he should have tripled the price and second, he now made double the profit. Ya just gotta know when to say when.

Wow, Ive known Tsmakdown for quite awhile.. never gave me a hassle..lol

I don't think anyone is throwing him to the wolves.
Maybe there was a bad vibe/ or launguge used/ or just timing. Maybe if Brian would have handled it a little better.

We don't know. But not every potential customer is a fit.