broke rear end at pinks all out infineon

turbo6man

Took my hybrid to infineon last weekend for pinks all out and made it through tech. We made two passes on Friday. On the first pass, the new varishock coilovers were way to soft on the passenger side and It bottomed hard. The car ran a 10.8. Adjusted the coil over and the car went 10.6 on the second pass. The next day they gave us another pass with the tree and it went 10.6 again. then we got our first pass with the arm drop by Rich. Car only made it a few feet! The 9" (has only about 12 passes on it) cracked in two. When I removed the drive line (which is also bent) the yoke and pinion and part of the housing fell to the ground. There sure were alot of people who really dug that little v6 in the car though, and we still had a great time. Taking suggestions on which aftermarket 3rd member to run:D

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 846
  • 100_7639.jpg
    100_7639.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 930
Wow... That is amazing. Never seen anyone brake a 9" like that.

Step up to an aftermarket 9" nodular centersection?

EDIT: Off the tbrake I assume? Guess you know the thing hooks, huh?!

Did Rich help you push your car off the line and tell you you can pick up parts at Napa? lol. sorry it happened when it did but i luv to see carnage as a result frm balls to the wall power.. as the sayibg goes if youre not breaking anything ya aint goin fast.. hope you get it back up and running soon..

Thanks guys, I have been told that if you do not run the larger bearing pinion support with a trans brake, this is what could happen. I wish I would have known that before I ruined all these new parts:confused:I called strange and they are going to build me one of there pro iron cases with all the goodies that will NOT be broken!!!

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 775
Sweet car !!! Love that body style.

I've got friend that builds 9" Ford rears for pro mod cars and he uses alum. cases for those cars.....they've never broken a housing, but they do consume ring and pinions !!

put an aluminum case in their,, you wont regret it... i have one in my gn and i drive it on the street alot.

Nice Car

Never saw a 9inch blow apart like that!! Go with a strange unit!!! Thats one sweet piece nice job:biggrin:

Why not use a Dana or the GM 14"?

The Dana should be stronger than the 9" & th GM 14" does have limited ratio availabilty.

Why not use a Dana or the GM 14"?

The Dana should be stronger than the 9" & th GM 14" does have limited ratio availabilty.

Dana 60 is beefy, I had one in my Vega, but they are HEAVY !!! Plus, they are a pain to change gears in. The 9" is strong, light and easy to work on.

If that is not a nodular center then i can see why it failed. Id go right to something decent. The aftermarket has you covered.

Man, I Have learned alot about the ford 9" since I broke this one. It was a standard case with the small pinion support. I wish I would have built it right the first time. And Bison I still have that darn wrong torque converter in there also. It is driving thru it. I have not been able to buy the correct one from Dusty yet, and there goes the money I was saving for it:biggrin:

Well I bought a Yukon aluminum thru-bolt housing. I bought the Larger 3.250 bearing size case and used special carrier bearings to size down to the 31 spline steel spool, because I have 31 spline axles. But if I want to in the future I can upgrade it to larger axles. I also put in a new set of 3.25 gears. I still need a driveline but I did borrow one from a friend and we went to grudgefest at Sacramento raceway and made the fastest ET pass of 10.4 so far. In all fairness the car did loose allitle weight from the aluminum housing and I removed the heater box. The car now weighs 3055lbs without driver. I also had the converter tightened some but slip calculations are still at 12.5%

Attachments

• 100_7681.jpg
    100_7681.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 424
  • 100_7680.jpg
    100_7680.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 423
hello people; Too bad of the breakdown and good luck in the future. Recently I was watching pinks all out and sometimes especially getting near the finals.
They gave the racers no time to let things cool and I was wondering how a turbo car would do if it made it that far?
don't give up and try it again.
your car should fly
IBBY
also where's the hood? Did they let you run it like that?
I'm no racer but any aero should help a box car like that.

If that is not a nodular center then i can see why it failed. Id go right to something decent. The aftermarket has you covered.

It is a standard case, I can tell from the photos. If it were a WAR case or Nod case, it would not have broken. I have seen a few do that. Dont worry about the large bearing on the pinion, if it were a better case, it wont happen again. The aluminum cases offer nothing but a little weight savings, get a NODULAR IRON, and be done with it. Strange makes the best, but the Mark Williams were just as good back in the day. Dont know who makes them for each company anymore, but I bet it overseas.
Dana 60's are heavy as all hell. Just the SURE GRIP unit itself, without gears and bearings, weighs as much as a 9 inch housing. The only way to make a 60 lighter is to put a spool in it and you aint driving that on the street very offen.
:biggrin: