Burned Up Fresh Rebuild

Rick

My buddy Terry has had nothing but bad luck with his car since he bought it. he decided to get the engine rebuilt in hope of getting all of his problems solved. One guy pulled and reinstalled the engine and another guy rebuilt it. Soon after leaving, the car started smoking. It got progressively worse before he got it back to the guy that put the engine back in. He ended up pulling the engine and sending it back to the local rebuilder. He was told today that the installer didn't tune it proper and the rings went bad due to it running too rich.
I told Terry I would post here to find out if this is likely.
Any input will be helpful!!
I don't know if the guy that rebuilt it is a member here or not.

So you're saying that within literally a few miles it was smoking? I don't think you can wash down cylinder walls that fast, it would have been so rich it wouldn't have ran. Sounds like the builder did something wrong if thats the case.

It was probably more miles than that. I would guess a few hundred. He was told when he first noticed it that it would stop after he ran it awhile.
He said it ran fine and it sounded good when I helped pick the car up.

Did he use moly rings??

Running rich won't hurt it that bad in that many miles.

Was he doing the break-in period correctly. Little or no boost for 500-1000 miles??

Alot of things could have went wrong.

Good luck

If an injector was stuck open would it cause this? He picked up the oil filter today. Does anyone know where he can get the oild analyzed at?

Don't know what kind of rings were used, I'll find out.

Thanks

If driven with say the ECM in backup mode, or say a stock chip and 50# injectors, you can and will ruin the engine in a few hundred miles.

I remember a few years ago doing a reman motor in a caravan with a bad choke thermostat. Instead of fixing it, they bent the choke plate to allow enough air for the thing to run 1/2 decent, anyway, I indicated this was gonna be a problem as it was rich enough to wash the walls in the new engine too. Fortunately I had written on the repair order that this was the cause of the first meltdown, and since he never fixed it, I was covered, but my point is, if it washes the oil film off the cyl walls, they WILL score fast. Its only cast iron guys.

Will an oil sample test determine if that is what happened? I would think the oil would be thinned.