Buying a car out of state (NY in particular)

Rogue Leader

Eat my valvestem caps!!!!
Ok guys heres the deal, I live in NY and I may be purchasing a car in MD from a private seller. My question is, in NY youre required to pay NY state sales tax on the vehicle based on the location in NY you purchased it.... But since Im purchasing it out of state, do I have to pay sales tax based on that state? do I even have to pay the tax at all??? and if so do I pay to the NY DMV?? Does it effect it if I take delivery of the car in MD or NY or in between (NJ) ???

you will still have to pay sales tax in the state you register the car in, ny being your case, and being from ny myself i know taht they hit you up at the time of registration, so get you a reciept for 100 dollars in addition to your real reciept, and you only have to pay 8 bucks or so.
grant

If you register it in MD and plan to drive it home you may have to pay MD tax and then the difference in NY tax from there.

Sometimes you can get a 30 day temp. tag and I'm not sure if you have to pay tax on that....

Tax is based on the state it is registered in and where it's garaged I believe.

Lotsa local and state laws vary of course....

ive done the "poor condition" thing before on buying a car in state to get lower tax... it will be hard to pass off a $100 recipt on a 60k mile 97 Trans Am Tho... LOL I just didnt realize id have to do it here...