Calling Mr. Smooth Idle Dennis Hogan

time to install shock sensors. So the next poor bastard that touches your car is still laying next to it when you get off work. Kinda like a bug zapper misus glowing light.

Someone just stole my GNx style center caps off my car

That totally sucks!
No one has ever stolen mine probably because it looks like a jiffy lube logo rather a cool "GNX." I had better be careful not to park my GN near a jiffy lube store or mine might get ripped too.:p

I actually think it would look better if we could put in a solid black medallion rather than a logo or wording. Less interesting to thieves too.

Reminds me of today when I drove my GN to Tool Town in Everett after work. That part of Everett has cars stolen all the time, so I was nervous as heck. I put on the column guard and disabled the fuel pump. And I still checked on the car three times while shopping for only 20 minutes.

Dan,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Haven't been on the board for a while. The first thought I had was the same as Gene's. The EGR. The other thing to try and swap before getting deep into things would be the TPS. See if you can try another one to see if it has a bad spot at idle. Probably won't help, but is easy and quick to try.

I'm going to the Monroe swap meet tomorrow, but should be available after 4 or 5 pm. Or most anytime on Sunday. I'd be happy to help out. Just let me know when and where.:)

Thanks, Dennis. You'll be near me on Saturday then. I'm in Lake Stevens. Please give me a call at 425-335-3315 and maybe you could swing by my place after the swap meet.

I thought of one more thing to check. See if the IAC is set right. Sometimes the throttle blade needs to be opened just a little bit more with the set screw. On Scanmaster IAC counts should be problably 10-15 at idle in gear.

HTH

Dan just saw your reply. I'm going with a friend and will have to come back home first, which is no problem. I will call you.

EGR valve is new. Swapped EGR solenoid, no improvement Swapped TPS sensor, no improvement. Compression and leakdown results seem to indicate that the head gasket and piston rings are fine. #6 exhaust valve leakage of 13% probably isn't enough to cause the roughness I'm experiencing.

I reset the IAC, which helped lower the idle BLM's from 139 to 128 and lower the rpm a bit to 775 on avg. It's smoother at idle now, but the engine still rocks enough to make the hood shake, and I can still feel the vibration while in the driver's seat.

I did observe the Frank's and Josh's engines also shake a little. But mine does it more. You can feel and see the difference. It's not terrible of undrivealbe by any means. I'm just trying to make it idle and drive at smooth as possible.

Dennis,
To get IAC counts at 10-15 in gear, then it must be zero in park/neutral, right? I see about a 20 count jump from Park to Drive.

I guess I'm on to the motor mount and torque convertor next.