Calling Nick Micale - TA Aluminum V6???

strikeeagle

Nick,

I apologize for asking these stupid questions, which have probably been answered by you and others before, but here goes:

1. Will the new block accept all the stock parts? If not, which stock parts m-u-s-t be changed, and with what new parts?

2. Which stock parts s-h-o-u-l-d be changed (e.g. do u really wanna run a cast crank in an aluminum motor?).

Thanks very much.

:p

First question is very easy to answer, the block initial design objective was to make it a replacement for a 3.8 stock block and utilize all internals as well as bolt-on parts. Few changes like the 6-bolt mains and provision for 14-bolt heads. If only 8 are used, no problem, as none of these go into the water jackets.

Since T/A Performance now owns the rights to the M&A heads [and their other Buick products too], the mating of block and head will be much stronger. Result, harder to ruin a head gasket. The block deck surface and the heads have been made thicker to help eliminate deformation, or heads lifting under heavy boost conditions.

This leads into the second question. The block design has been to handle in excess of 1000 HP. This will be tough to achieve with all stock internals. Seems like the present reliable limit for a stock block is ~700 HP. The structural limit of the block with its thin-wall heritage, deforms, cracks, breaks and other unwanted horrors come out. The stock crank does rather well considering how it is tortured. If the block does NOT hold the crank in place, it gives up easy.

How will a stock crank hold up in the T/A block? Probably better than in a stock block, but hard to guess at this point.

At the 700+ HP levels we would be seeing this as a competition motor. So lots of good parts will be inside. Having seen some of the junk cranks being used [or trying!], it will be important to make sure you have a good one.

One more thought, T/A has been over 3 years just making the commitment to the turbo V-6 scene. Lots of effort and $$$$ have been poured into the involvement already. It will not stop with just a block and heads. With the support of the Buick community, T/A will develop, procure and purchase many other performance and basic items for the engines and cars too.

The ability to work with major manufactures and purchase in viable quantities will keep our cars running [and performing] for a great many years. Certainly billet cranks have been explored to go with this motor as have cams, pistons, rings, bearings and lots of other essentials that are already drying up in the marketplace.
It will take a company with the resources, experience and credibility like T/A Perf to make this happen. Again, this can only happen with the continued support of the Buick owners for street driving, racing, daily drivers or???

Can't wait to see this aluminum V6. I know it will probably be a little pricey, but hell we have nothing else beside used stage blocks and very few are floating out there. This is the opportunity to finally purchase a new block that will handle more power than our stock units. I have also held back from buying GN-1 heads until the new T/A alum heads are available. Like to buy the matching combo. T/A keep up the good work!!

I am also waiting. I can't wait. I will be trying to plant one of those in a GTA trans am and make my own personal TTA.
Or I might swap it in my GN. Ya never know!!!

why would they do a 3.8 and not a 4.1, or was the 4.1 stage 2 just as good as the 3.8 just stronger? could the alum. block be bored out any? and does anybody have any weight specs for these blocks/heads?

Originally posted by turbo buicks
why would they do a 3.8 and not a 4.1, or was the 4.1 stage 2 just as good as the 3.8 just stronger? could the alum. block be bored out any? and does anybody have any weight specs for these blocks/heads?

The alum block is being done as a replacement for a stock GN using all current internals. The stock bore for the liners will be 3.80 and should require only final honing for fit. If you want 3.90 or 4.0 pistons, then have it bored for them.

A completed alum block should about 50#'s lighter than stock.

The first block is now being assembled by Ken D.

There is a wait list at T/A Performance for customers that have put up deposit money to obtain a place in line for the first production run.

Like wise waiting to see the new heads. Nick, any idea when they will be out and how they compare with GN-1's?

Current plan is for me to bring a couple sets of heads to the Las Vegas Buick meet on Nov. 8-9th.

Lots of design work went into the old M&A heads and they are certainly T/A heads now! Two major design objectives, strength and flow, have been predominant in these new heads. Will wait until we have solid flow numbers to compare with GN-1's, but we expect good things.

No doubts on the strength issue. The late M&A design has proven to be crack-free. The new design T/A's have benefited from years of Mike's experience with race-proven alum big-block Buick heads, and will be even stronger.

Nick,

A quick question about oiling on the new blocks. Stock oiling or Stage 2 oiling?. Will the oil be divorced from the lifter bore for solid roller application? or will the new block require hydraulic lifters like the production and Stage 1 block?

Will the block have priority oiling to the mains?

Originally posted by ronbuick
Nick, when you bring the heads to Vegas, what is the chance
to bring a block also, Ron

OK Ron, we will do that!

At the present time, block no.1 is at T/A in Scottsdale for final assembly and testing. This will then be installed in a local GN for field and dyno testing. It will have the new T/A heads also.

For the local buick guys, T/A is doing a preliminary showing of block and heads on Tuesday, Oct. 15 from 6:00 to 8:00 PM. Am sure someone will have a digital camera with them so we can share this with everyone.

Oiling - it will have provision for stage II oiling, hydraulic lifters or solids. Since the pickup will be mounted in the front of the block, a new fabricated pick up screen and tube is required. This is the only item not useable from the stock block and it will be made available.

Originally posted by Nick Micale
At the present time, block no.1 is at T/A in Scottsdale for final assembly and testing.
So does this mean Duttweiler is done with his testing? If so, will the results/findings be posted at Mike's website? If not...why did it leave Ken's place?

All the basics have been checked, crank installed and turned for clearance, other critical dimensions verified. Now it needs to be assembled and run. We will do this in Scottsdale where all the T/A motors are built, assembled and run.

Other than progress reports, results when it runs will be posted.

quick question nick,sorry if it has been covered elsewhere...

how big can the bore go,and how long of a stroke can be accomodated?basically,what is the largest ci that can be built with the new block?

thanx,sean

Nick,
on the T/A heads what is the final price $ looking like? as cast? max CNC ported? will T/A try to be competetive $$ wise with Champions GN1? Do you know of any flow #s on these heads yet? will they be offered in both 8bolt and 14 bolt configurations? I will be needing a set of 14 bolt heads in 3-4 months from now for my stageII motor and would like to know these details.

Thanks

Frank

As far as stroke, TA will have billet cranks that are now on order with 3.625" throw. Bore should be able to go up to 3.900-4.00".

There will be 2 versions of the heads initially, 8-bolt that will have stock-type pedestals, and the 14 bolt version that will use T&D "girdled" roller rockers. The valve locations have been optimized for best geometry, valve size and flow. Intakes valves will be 1.94" with optional 2.02", exhaust start at 1.60.

The rails for valve cover mating have been raised so hopefully stock covers could be used with roller rockers. The deck has been strenghtened with major increases along with other critical points. A set of the the last design M&A heads, from which these evolved, ran for over season and many dyno pulls at 40-45 psi and showed no signs of cracking or any other problem.

Pricing is aimed to be competitive with Champion, realizing that this is a superior product. Cadiliacs cost more than Chevies!!!

Flow numbers will be "as cast" first of course. We will hand port a set for max flow before CNC can be developed

Is anyone planning on building longblocks in the future?

Built and tested and off the shelf? :)

Just wondering?