Calling Nick Micale - TA Aluminum V6???

Yep. Pi*r[squared]*stroke = total area =

22/7*1.9*1.9*3.4 = 231.45 cubic inches.

Do I recall correctly from 4th grade math??

ouch...Looks like im going with a remanufactured stock block then ;)

Looks like a really nice block though.

Originally posted by TRBON8R
Only? LOL. In my little stock block corner of the world $3500 is still a pretty large chunk of change.

I think that's pretty close to what the Bow Tie 4.3 costs.

Not enough!:D :D They have been pushed in the 700's (Not a good Ides), But the Norm is 500-550 keeping it alive..;) The boost is all up to your combo.. 15psi could make 600hp, and some people halft to run 40psi to make 600hp.:eek:

Matt:cool:

TA block....

$3500 is NOT a bad price at all when you consider the price of an SVO block (the best aftermarket Ford block money can buy) and the price of a BowTie block (the best aftermarket Chevy block you can buy).... Also, keep in mind for $3500 you are getting an all aluminum block that is fully machined with caps (6-bolt mains) and liners that can use all the stock parts (personally I would not, unless I didn't plan making more than 600-700hp) and is much lighter than an iron Stage II block and just as strong or even stronger (can handle 1200-1500hp or more).... Also, keep in mind that aluminum is cheaper to repair than iron so God forbid you hurt the block it won't cost you an arm and a leg to repair it and last, but not least lets keep in mind that the Turbo Buick Community is not the most profitable (Chevy and Ford as well as Pontiac and the Mopar guys have us beat) so please think before you make it sound like this block is not worth every penny cause it is if you are a true Buick enthusiast who can afford it IMHO!!!!!! Not flaming anybody, but TA Performance with the help of Nick Micale and Kenny Duttweiler have put a lot of money into R&D making these blocks and heads and the last thing we need is people bitching and moaning about the price cause the bottom line is if you want to play you have to pay!!!!

When I get the money together I will be spending the 3500 bones on this block and I will also look into the heads.... Big Ups to TA Performance for keeping Turbo Buick Performance alive and well :cool: :)

86, I have to agree. I find it amazing that R&D, innovation, and aftermarket production are still happening for a 15+ year old car. The Buick community is built by and for enthusiasts who are loyal to these unique vehicles. Don't know if anybody is getting rich off of this small a market, but I would rather see a few bucks keep circulating in the system and be able to dream about my new aluminum heads and propane injection. Just my .02. BTW, I need a price and flow numbers on those heads.

My only point was that for even your hard-core TR owner $3500 is a lot of cash for just a block. When you consider the supporting hardware that is required to build a complete motor, install it in a car and drive away, the cost leaves probably 95%+ of even the hard-core TR enthusiasts (like myself) in the dust. I saw the TA block on display last weekend at the Vegas race and it is a work of art for sure. If you can afford it I say go for it! TA has a reputation for making outstanding products and I have every reason to believe that this new block will follow suit. I think they have tremendous courage for spending R&D bucks on this project, and I'm rooting for them 100%!! Success for this project will only result in more development for our cars.

However, once reality and my bank account are taken into consideration, I think that for less than $3500 you can build a complete, assembled, girdled stock block that on the street will have enough firepower to clean up the entire town and run high 10s at the track. What more do most of us need or can actually afford for our street cars? It's easy to offer up cliches like "if you want to play you gotta pay". I just wonder how many that are saying how "cheap" this new block is have actually ponied up some cash and are on the waiting list for a new block? 86 Brick??? :D Don't get me wrong, I definitely see the potential of the new block. I want to see the project be a huge success!! It has the potential of opening up a new world of performance for the 9 second and faster cars. I'm just not sure where this new block fits in is all. It seems to be nearly as expensive as a Stage block, yet still too expensive for the street guy.

Can anyone give any new status of the block and the first buildup?

TRBON8R : I understand what you are saying about the price, but I think they are really targeting an economical NEW block for those who want to build a 9/8 sec ride without investing in a stage 2. It's hard enough to find a stage 2 let alone a NEW stage 2. And no machining will be required to run this block as well (so I've heard), unlike all the work for a busch stage 2. And for people like me who have all the "good" parts but running a stock (girdled) block (and running on luck until I join the DOTCC), it's an AWESOME product. Unfortunately though, the wife won't give me the money for the block yet. :(

I just hope TA comes out with a good crank to handle that horsepower as well (as I think the crank will become the weakest point in the motor now).

I REALLY need one of the blocks built and tested in the 1000HP area so I can have one more bargaining chip to convince the wife. I REALLY don't want to have to blow up my stock block to convince her. ;)

Derrick

The Ford SVO (R302) block is only $1699.00. But I guess the volume they push they could have those prices. It may be a little pricey for the TA alum block, but that is the cost we have to pay since no other vendor came up to the plate. I do appreciate that a vendor like TA made an effort to continue to make the Turbo Regal faster. This block might be to expensive for alot of us, but it does give a good cushion for those wanting to run low 10's and 9's. ;)

1699.00 yes....but there is quite a bit of machining left to make it a running engine. when its said and done you are back to the 3000.00 price point.

when the block comes out it will be a steal. virgin stage stuff is going for 3500.00 ( ask ohio george) so it either 3500 for a block that needs to be machined and might take 1300 hp or 3500 for a done block that WILL take the power.

When the time comes, i plan on building a 302 cube motor just to be able to run those stupid ford 5.0 badges and say" hey we both have 302's, how much faster could mine be? :) "

I saw the actual machined block at the ARP booth in Las Vegas (SEMA show) last week.

It was machined up, had a crank in it, cylinder sleeves, etc. Of course, it had all ARP hardware in it.

REALLY slick! A lot beefier in the valley area and webbing. Nice piece.

Brain Said [/QUOTE]

When the time comes, i plan on building a 302 cube motor just to be able to run those stupid ford 5.0 badges and say" hey we both have 302's, how much faster could mine be? :) " [/B][/QUOTE]

Brian
I have not seen a block and crank combo to make 302 cu inch buick V-6. Just wondering if you have worked it out on paper ? What would the bore /stroke combo be to get 302 cu inch. buick v-6 and would the block and crank be a workable deal

I would find it hard to build a ten second block for $3500 and even harder to build one in that price range that would do it every week end without failure. The entry price for the block is certainly not cheap but the longevity that it should provide when properly built should be taken into account as well as the upside potential for those that are really serious about going much faster.

It may not be for those that want an 11 second ride but for those that want to go tens or better....it seems to be a really nice deal.

Originally posted by tazgn
Can anyone give any new status of the block and the first buildup?

TRBON8R : I understand what you are saying about the price, but I think they are really targeting an economical NEW block for those who want to build a 9/8 sec ride without investing in a stage 2. ...........

I just hope TA comes out with a good crank to handle that horsepower as well (as I think the crank will become the weakest point in the motor now).
Derrick

The interest in this block has been overwhelming since it is in "solid" form from just a concept and dream! It is gratifying to know that many people appreciate the time, money and dedication that has gone into this project so far.

Let me again detail the concept thinking that started the project and where we are headed. The block initially is intended to be a 3.8 replacement where all internals from a production engine can be utilized for a reliable, strong street/strip motor. So it starts out with a finished block [except for final hone] as a 3.8 foundation. The estimated price is more than a "beefed" stock block, but it is also MUCH stronger, lighter [50#'s] and capable of massive HP levels even in excess of stage blocks.

The "project" does NOT stop with the block. As most people know, TA aluminum heads are being finished now and orders being taken. Both 8-bolt and 14-bolt versions will be available by year end. In the design phase now are second-generation 14-bolt race-type heads with even bigger valves, revised and enlarged ports and different [maximized] valve placement.

Almost done are forged "sportsman" connecting rods for the V-6. These will be very affordable and much stronger than stock. An important feature will be a doweled cap to assure better repeatibllity and ability to hold tolerance for more bearing life under extreme running conditions. Should be ready just after the new year.

There are now 5 billet cranks on order and these will also be available after the first of the year. Yes, we do know these are very pricey and will attract only the most serious racer. We are currently investigating production of a forged steel crank that would be half the billet price. Major problem here is the large cash investment needed to develop the die. Hopefully we can eventially work this out to supply the needed demand.

An new design intake manifold is also on the drawing board. It is planned to maintain placement of stock items as much as possible, while being capable of more and better flow than stock. Based upon preliminary work and testing, this will be a very exciting, affordable product and may see production next year!

Now to your first question, status of first block. It is planned to have the first block/TA heads running at Bowling Green in May in a GN.

To do that, here is our present schedule. A complete stock turbo rotating assembly will be fitted for testing. A stock crank and rods and forged pistons will be used. It will have a set of 14-bolt TA heads. We plan to have this done and running by the first of the year. After install in the car, it will be dyno'ed and track tested. At some point it will be dis-assembled for evaluation and the new rods fitted and billet crank installed. Hopefully, this will be the configuration in BG.

Of course, as development progress continues, updates will be posted here, and on the TA web site, as well as my web site.

Got to give the thumbs up to TA. Hard to believe that it was mentioned about a year ago. It sounded like a pipe dream and now it is REALITY :D :D Now forged rods, forged cranks. Damn I will have to start working a lot of OT. When I decide to do the motor I will also get their heads. Looks like TA is going to be THE official Turbo Regal vender.