Cam Sensor Install now Timing chain tensioner problem

DaySleeper

I was just installing my new cam sensor when I noticed my timing chain tensioner had freed itself and was just sitting there next to the oil pump shaft.

I'm assuming that it pretty much won't run well without it so I guess I'm gonna start ripping and tearing some more. Is there a better timing chain guide out there?

Hmmm. Really? That would be awesome since I wouldn't have to fix it. I got it out with a magnet.

Off topic but I just got bum rushed by a squirrel in my attic! I was taking shots at him with a bb gun and he charged me. I can't lie, it scared the crap outta me.

Last edited:
Only timing sets that don't require a tensioner. Like a double roller. You need yours on there if it's a stock type set.

Okay it IS a double roller. I squeezed a piece of mirror in there and sure enough, this motor is built very well! The chain isn't very slack on the passenger side so I really think it doesn't need the tensioner anyway. Anybody disagree?

Have you drained the oil to see if there are chunks of tensioner in there?

No because the whole thing minus the bolt hole and spring are sitting on my desk. I got it out with a magnet. The spring is probably just hanging there still. There's not enough there to clog the pick up.

No because the whole thing minus the bolt hole and spring are sitting on my desk. I got it out with a magnet. The spring is probably just hanging there still. There's not enough there to clog the pick up.

Without the tensioner in place there is nothing to hold the spring in place. You're playing with fire until that spring is in your hand and not in the motor.

The spring is wrapped around a pin if I'm remembering correctly but I am gonna investigate. I don't want to pull this motor out.

Got the cam sensor stabbed last night and it was a hassle for some reason. The shaft just wouldn't line up. The old one had some serious up and down slop so this new one should help the stutter I've had.

The spring has a straight end that goes into the block. The round spring part slides over the pin/bolt the other end is held in place by tension against the tensioner. Without the tensioner the spring is free to float around.

This is the best pic I could come up with. Hope this helps.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397928836.200967.jpg

Thanks for everyone's response! I got the beast back together and it runs very well. It is time to squeeeeeeeze a 10 out of her. I'm so close.

BTW, I've never advanced the cam sensor before but now I'm a believer! It starts immediately now and forget about throttle hesitation. I'm thrilled with the way it made the car more driveable with this ridiculous cam.

It's amazing how many people don't believe that works. If you're opening the intake valve sooner than normal you need to start spraying fuel sooner than normal.

Did you leave the spring in? You also mentioned you didn't want to pull the motor but you would just have to take the front cover off. I wouldn't leave the spring. If it got tangled in the chain... Also if it's a double roller it should've chewed up the one that was in there.

I have no idea where the spring is. It's not going to do any harm to that heavy duty double roller and it certainly can't clog the oil pick up so I'm done.