Camaros in GMHTP

CopGn

Just got the latest issue of GM High Tech with all the 10 Sec Camaros. Does anybody know how much cash is being spent at this level of performance? Just wondering what the competition is doing. If you know include parts and labor cost.

Well a guy down here with a low 10 second stock block GN that I know read that article on all the 10 second LT1/LS1 cars and he was not too impressed with how much it took for them to run 10's (one thing he noticed was how light most of them were and he didn't like the fact that all of them had either a 12-bolt or a 9" rear cause both of them are not cheap)..... He likes going fast on a budget and from what he told me after reading that article he doesn't think you can run 10's with one of those cars on a budget.... He said he'll stick with his Buick and the Mustang....

I've been there, done that w/ the 4th gen f-body. The LT1s take more money because they're not as fast out of the box. Plan on buying a rear. It doesn't matter whether it's a 12 bolt or 9", but plan on spending $2500. W/out getting into the specifics and trying to list everything out, plan on having at least a $10k budget.

The biggest problems w/ the f-bodies is the amount of support components needed to take the abuse. The rubber band rear will not hold up. The stock clutch can't take the abuse. Plan on buying the McCleod twin disk for $1000. The T56 will let go, so plan on a TH400 swap or the $3k for the D&D modified box w/ the billet yoke and modified Viper output shaft. All of the suspension needs to be gone over and tying the frames is a must. The LT1 cars will need heads even if forced induction. The LS1 cars respond well to the bottle.

The shining points of the cars is they have a good pool of aftermarket suppliers. They can be had fairly cheap. Also, they're good transplant patients to receive LC2s.

Later,

Steve.

These cars are ground up, megabucks rebuilds having little relationship to stock Camaros. However, a TR capable of going 9's or 10's more than once would require the same treatment. Yeah, I know you know this one guy with a bone stock long block who goes 10 flat at 45 PSI.

A race car is a race car is a race car. Who cares what body it wears...

:D

45 PSI!? how's he cooling that? He didn't throw a Cummins in the thing on accident did he?

Hey im down here and i got a ls1 camaro and im impressed . I know of a few ls1 guys going hi tens on pump gas with head and cam packages . I would bet you don't have on a buick down here that drives to the track on straight 93 and would out run one of those ls1 cars . The ls1 parts are expensive but a buicks no budget car either and you throw nitrous in to the mix and you got some 9 second cars with minimal mods . I also think the parts availability for the ls1 car is much better there are more of them out there thats a fact . Laz

Originally posted by laz
Hey im down here and i got a ls1 camaro and im impressed . I know of a few ls1 guys going hi tens on pump gas with head and cam packages . I would bet you don't have on a buick down here that drives to the track on straight 93 and would out run one of those ls1 cars . The ls1 parts are expensive but a buicks no budget car either and you throw nitrous in to the mix and you got some 9 second cars with minimal mods . I also think the parts availability for the ls1 car is much better there are more of them out there thats a fact . Laz

The ones running 10's with the head and cam packages (no nitrous) on pump gas are light (3000-3300lbs w/ driver) and they a very nice set of heads (usually LS6 done by somebody like Cartek, MTI, ect.) and most of them that I've seen have a solid roller as far as I know (a few have done it with a hyd. roller)....

FYI Laz, there is a guy down here named Lee that has a forged 346ci LS1 Camaro (weighs 3200-3300lbs w/ driver) and he is now currently the fastest NA 346ci LS1 F-body in the country running 10.26 @132mph.... The motor was built by Alan Futral of Futral Motorsports http://www.futralmotorsports.com/

Keep in mind it has a SR (solid roller) cam and I'm almost 100% positive it does NOT run on pump gas (cause of the higher CR).... Still impressive in my book, but it's not a budget build-up...

If you want to read about it here is the thread...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184261

Well said Strikeeagle.......the LS1 and LC2 are both great engines...my 87 GN ran 14.2 at 96mph stock...my 01 Camaro ran 13 flat at almost 110 stock and would have been in the 12's if it had not been my first time at the track with a six speed.

Pete

I was at the meet that these camaros were at. Yes they were highly modified. I was a little disipointed to see the artical only mentioned the camaros.

There were 22 cars at the invitation. 8 camaros a couple of vetts and a number of turbo cars. Maybe they wil show the other cars in another artical.

The event was suppost to be on a Sunday with a Monday rain date. Sunday got rained out so I'm sure a few people had to leave. On Monday a front came in so in the morning there was a tail wind of about 15 to 20 mph. When they were taking the photos of the cars they almost had to tie down the tripods for the camaras. There was a new style S10 twin turbo pkup there making it's maden runs. Looked good!

By the time they let us start making passes down the track the wind changed from the south to out of the north west.

Going down the track you had to start on the left side of the groove and when you got by the grand stands the wind would hit you. In my car my hand would be at 12 o'clock and when I got past the stands be at 6 o'clock and I would be on the right side of the groove.

It was fun and I enjoyed going. My car decided to be a jerk. 2 weeks before at Noble, OK my car was making easy 9.6 passes with no problem. I only changed plugs and fuel filter. But all of the sudden the car had an ignition problem and I could only muster 9.8's and 9.9 passes :( I did change a few things but could not find the problem at the track.

There was one vette from Bowling Green that was a stock motor with head and cam changes running a lot of NOS making 10.0 passes. On there last pass a tranny line blew and the front of the car burned at the starting line. I felt sorry for those guys.

Over all I did have fun and would love to go again. Maybe the car will do what it's suppost to. Maybe get something written up in the future.

Take Care

Steve i was at the track wedsday and saw that camaro it ran 10.80 with weight added . I think you mean the fastest 346 na because there are 436 cube na running 9.60 and what buick weights so much more than that most tsm cars weigh 3550 with driver . I have a friend that has a full weight 86 gn full exhuast nothing taken out but the jack and spare it weighs 3250 . You might be suprized when they start turbocharging these cars did you see the silverado with the turbo that runs high tens thats a sleeper and it aint light . Laz

Originally posted by laz
Steve i was at the track wedsday and saw that camaro it ran 10.80 with weight added . I think you mean the fastest 346 na because there are 436 cube na running 9.60 and what buick weights so much more than that most tsm cars weigh 3550 with driver . I have a friend that has a full weight 86 gn full exhuast nothing taken out but the jack and spare it weighs 3250 . You might be suprized when they start turbocharging these cars did you see the silverado with the turbo that runs high tens thats a sleeper and it aint light . Laz

Laz, yeah Lee's Camaro is the fastest 346 NA, but I know there are faster NA LS1s that are 400+ci stroker motors like the 436 you mentioned.... I guess you're right the LS1 cars are not much lighter than most TSM cars, but it depends cause I know Alex's GN was 3460lbs w/ a half tank of gas (no jack or spare tire) when we weighed it at Moroso.... Put him in the car and it's damn near 3700:eek: I saw that Silverado with the turbo that runs high 10's and it is definitely one helluva sleeper and you're right it sure as hell aint light!

Here is a pretty badass single turbo LS1.....

http://loudmouthls1.20megsfree.com/Picture406.jpg

Notice anything different about that intake?:D

10 sec F-bodies

I don't know anything about the cars in GMHTP, but I worked with a guy (until a few months ago) who drives a 2001 Camaro SS he's finally managed to get into the high 10's. I know he's spent a lot of money on the car, but he didn't do a "ground-up" build. Initally, we kept a running tab on who spent more to go faster, but he was able to spend a lot more money than I was all at one time.

we sat down and came up with the expected cost to get each of our cars (his SS and my '87 GN) up to various power levels and up to a point, the turbo Buick offered better bang for the buck, but at some point things started to equal out and favored the LS1 when we factored in his willingness to spray the piss out of his motor without any regard to reliability or longevity.

I know he's installed an aftermarket cam, extensively reworked heads, long tube headers and a 250 shot of nitrous along with all the fuel system upgrades to support the nitrous. He's also done a lot of small things to make it all work together. Last I heard, was on tranny rebuild number 7 :eek: but he still has the stock rearend.

Rob

my buddys 01 firehawk has been 11.25 @ 118.48 with stock internals

stock heads,cam and all

I believe he's got the record for fastest stock internal f-body

for you guys that go to the f-body boards he goes by hawkin01 or T.J.

the motor may be stock but he has spend mega $ on the car everywhere else

he hates it when the turbo 6 whistles by him :D

he's no longer stock internal now tho motor mods have begun

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
my buddys 01 firehawk has been 11.25 @ 118.48 with stock internals

stock heads,cam and all

I believe he's got the record for fastest stock internal f-body

for you guys that go to the f-body boards he goes by hawkin01 or T.J.

the motor may be stock but he has spend mega $ on the car everywhere else

he hates it when the turbo 6 whistles by him :D

he's no longer stock internal now tho motor mods have begun

Doesn't his car weigh like 3100 WITH driver?:eek:

Raymer's car Was stock internal with a turbo and he went 9's. Technology is all it is. All the power on those motors even from the factory is in the heads. If the LC2 was gone over and had the benefit of todays technology you'd prolly see an amzing little engine.

Imagine a 6 bolt main aluminum V6 with symmetrical heads and a flash programmed ecm for the LC2. WOW!

I'm dreaming.........:D

Originally posted by CopGn
Anyone want to take a jab at a $$$$$$$$ number?

You want a 10 second build? Ok, here goes:

Start with a 98 A4 Camaro.

- 3,800 stall converter $750

- BFG Drag Radials $300 pr

- Long Tube Headers $500

- Cutout $25

- TNT F2 Nitrous Kit $650

- Lid $75

- BMR LCA's $130

- HAL adj. shocks / spring set $700

- LS6 intake $200

That should get you 10's. Mind you, you will eventually need a new rear, tranny, and torque arm. Oh, and this list is off the top of my head, so I may have missed a few things. Been a while since I played with an LS1 :)

Originally posted by laz

Yeah Laz, that Camaro seemed to scoot last night. Nova didn't seem to have anything out of the hole, and the roll race looked like you had him by a clean car or two. Good stuff :)

Oh, and add a fuel pump to that set up as well, so another $200.