Can an 85 get to 87 power with small mods?

alky isn't really a beginner thing. too much other tuning and needed upgrades before that

I just bought an 85 t type, its 100% stock, I'd like to start with the hot wire kit(or can I make my own), and get a scanmaster to make sure its running safe. What do I need to do ?

Alec, I'd disagree with that statement. Especially with the plug and play systems. Make sure the tank is full and go. I never tuned my GN with the first generation kit I had from SMC. I did not detonate thats for sure. It allowed me to upgrade parts and then tune accordingly. When I rebuilt my engine and pulled the cylinder heads off, the combustion chambers and piston heads looked brand new. Alky has many benefits other than power.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

I do agree a well tuned engine would benefit more. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

I just bought an 85 t type, its 100% stock, I'd like to start with the hot wire kit(or can I make my own), and get a scanmaster to make sure its running safe. What do I need to do ?
Do I need to change the chip or can I just buy a scan master to see how everything's running with the car?

If you get your heads ported and polished, you will go further than you can imagine :)... A good set of ported heads should allow to pick up to 30-40hp at lower boost. Next would be removing restrictions in exhaust system and downpipe. Replacing exhaust restrictions and ported head will get you way past a stock GN. Chip select would be next thing... From what we are learning now, E85 would be the way to go if available in your area.

Thanks all, i have been on the BMW forums for years so very familiar with the community structure, rules, etc. What would we be without these forums and love for these cars? I would love to gt the car into the mid-13's. I know this is going to require time, effort, and money and that is fine. This is a long term build. I understand initially i should do a general tune up, timing chain kit, and valve springs. I plan to drive it for a little while. I have a turbo rebuild kit as i was informed the turbo blew and was smoking out the exhaust. If it isnt repairable then i have some considerations to make. I am going to add electric fans and the EBL SFI-6 ECM to the car initially too.
Good call on the EBL. I think it'll be better than an '87 ECM.

Thanks all, i have been on the BMW forums for years so very familiar with the community structure, rules, etc. What would we be without these forums and love for these cars? I would love to gt the car into the mid-13's. I know this is going to require time, effort, and money and that is fine. This is a long term build. I understand initially i should do a general tune up, timing chain kit, and valve springs. I plan to drive it for a little while. I have a turbo rebuild kit as i was informed the turbo blew and was smoking out the exhaust. If it isnt repairable then i have some considerations to make. I am going to add electric fans and the EBL SFI-6 ECM to the car initially too.
How is that EBL SFI-6 ECM working for your 85?

Its a flash based board that is added to your stock ECM. This allows on the fly changes without having to have a chip programmed. I haven't purchased it because my car was in way worse condition than i imagined when i got it. So i am playing catch up work first. Need to get it running good stock which has been a heck of a challenge. Running like a car with 3 cylinders.