Cant Hook

168 dollar fuse

Well I install the new coil pack on the ing. amplifier and I pull it apart and it's all gooey. I'm thinking well I have had this problem before when my last ignition amplifier went out. I called conleys performance when the last one was miss firing and they asked if the epoxy was gooey and it was. I bought this new amp and all was well.

So I install new MSD plug wires and new plugs and the car starts right up then dies 5 seconds later. What the hell, my car dosen't die. Then it wont restart. I think, well the load of thoes new coils made the old amp drivers fail, so I 'll just go get another one. I install it and it dosen't start. I start checking things which I should have done before buying the amplifier and find the coil supply wire, terminal "M" on the ign. module is dead. Check the CCCI fuse and it's blown. I was in a hurry to get to the track, but i should have done some troubleshooting first. Now the track is closed:mad:

Well at least i got a spare ignition module. Lesson learned.

TurboTerry87gn, I got your PM so here is my setup. I didn't read through every post in this thread but here is my exact setup from the video that NothinYet posted:

Stock front springs (free)
CE 3-way shocks set at 90/10 ($50)
Stock rear springs (cut slightly to lower the instant center. Rear of car was lowered 1.5") (free)
QA1 12-way adjustable shocks. DS rear at 3 clicks, PS rear at 4 clicks (from zero) ($250)
RR air bag set at 20psi ($20 from a friend)
ATR heavy duty sway bar ($120 from a member on here)
UMI Performance adjustable upper control arms ($180)
UMI Performance tubular (non-adjustable) control arms ($90)
Pinion angle set at -2.75* (free)
MT ET 28x10 stiff sidewall slicks set at 10.5psi (no tubes, no rim screws) ($150 used from a friend)
15x10 wheels

That pass was a 1.299 60'. The rest of the passes that day were all in the low 1.3 60' ranges.

First thing that you haven't answered is this: WHAT IS YOUR PINION ANGLE? You are throwing parts at your car and spending all this money, but if your pinion angle is way off (positive or way neggative) your car is NOT going to work REGARDLESS of what parts you put on it. You have adjustable UCA's so setting your pinion angle is FREE and it is CRUCIAL. So hop in the driver's seat and have someone check it for you on level ground. I am curious to see what it is.

Thanks man, I thought he could use some help... look like he spent a million dollars and was still getting sh!tty 60' s. I knew you would know.

cutting rear springs

Stock rear springs (cut slightly to lower the instant center. Rear of car was lowered 1.5") (free)
SPOT MY 6,
I am curious how you cut the rear springs with them being "pigtailed" on both ends. I have been considering lowering the rear of my car also to try and achieve the lower contol arms being level.

Thanks,
Robert

SPOT MY 6,
I am curious how you cut the rear springs with them being "pigtailed" on both ends. I have been considering lowering the rear of my car also to try and achieve the lower contol arms being level.

Thanks,
Robert

I cut very small sections (1/8 coil) off the top of the coil at a time with an air powered cut off wheel. I made the cut on an angle so that the spring would sit somewhat flat inside the spring pocket. Then I went to pep boys and bought some rubber heater hose that slid over the end of the coil so that there was some cushion between the spring and the pocket.

I cut very small sections (1/8 coil) off the top of the coil at a time with an air powered cut off wheel. I made the cut on an angle so that the spring would sit somewhat flat inside the spring pocket. Then I went to pep boys and bought some rubber heater hose that slid over the end of the coil so that there was some cushion between the spring and the pocket.

Thanks for the reply...
I am going to give it a shot....

thanks,
Robert

Video and new times

As far as the ignition problems I was having, I removed the Accell high output coil packs made from magnavox, and new ingnition box BWD brand, and installed the old ignition box and old coilpack, with new crank sensor, and plugs gapped to 0.032" with new MSD wires. One once did it miss at the top of first gear.

Suspension:
QA1's 4 clicks
13.75 psi in 10.5 X 28 et slicks
24 psi boost, 11.9 A/f, 24 degrees of timing.

Best 60' of night 1.501 leaving @ 10 psi, if I left any higher the times went up.
Best et of night 6.557 @ 105.76

YouTube - 6.557 @ 105.76

I hate this thread. Really. I am sitting here reading this knowing I am going to have this issue. So I wish you luck in finding your issue. Then I hope to learn from you. But I do not wnat to notch my frame. So I think that I my not hook like the rest of you. Anyone hooking with a stock wheel well and not rolling the lip? And if no one is then I have a much bigger fight on my hands.:frown:

2 step

Ok I have achived a 1.501 60' but of coarse I want more.

I'm going to stiffen the rear shocks next time out. They are set at 4 click now. Looking at the videos the car is squating alot. I might even throw the IC brackets back in to see what happens. Also the video shows the driver side tire making a complete revolution before the car starts following along. For the first revolution the car only moves about 6 inches.

Next on my list to try an MSD DIS-4 HO. I know I said I would never put a JUNK MSD box on my car, but my friend has one he is going to send in for repair off his supra that I can use(free!). We will see if it helps with my high load intermittant miss and 60' times using the 2 step.

I'm hoping I can find the sweet spot in the power band to get the 60' times down and more consistant.

a fresh mind

Went to the track and made 4 passes.

First pass shock at 4 clicks tires at 12.5 cold
1.569 60', 6.617 @ 105.78

Pass 2: 5 clicks
1.572 60'

Pass 3: 4 clicks, incresed tire pressure to 13.5 cold
1.547 60'

Pass 3: same
This time my cousin tells I'm taking too long to stage, mabe the tires are cooling. So I get staged faster and...
1.481 60':eek: :eek:

Ok I have achived a 1.501 60' but of coarse I want more.

I'm going to stiffen the rear shocks next time out. They are set at 4 click now. Looking at the videos the car is squating alot. I might even throw the IC brackets back in to see what happens. Also the video shows the driver side tire making a complete revolution before the car starts following along. For the first revolution the car only moves about 6 inches.

Next on my list to try an MSD DIS-4 HO. I know I said I would never put a JUNK MSD box on my car, but my friend has one he is going to send in for repair off his supra that I can use(free!). We will see if it helps with my high load intermittant miss and 60' times using the 2 step.

I'm hoping I can find the sweet spot in the power band to get the 60' times down and more consistant.

Did you completely miss my post? You PM'd me asking for help so I gave it to you. Stop wasting time and money until your pinion angle is set. Or, just ignore me and Ill keep doing big wheelies in the low 1.3's while you struggle to get into the 1.4's. :rolleyes:

Did you completely miss my post? You PM'd me asking for help so I gave it to you. Stop wasting time and money until your pinion angle is set. Or, just ignore me and Ill keep doing big wheelies in the low 1.3's while you struggle to get into the 1.4's. :rolleyes:

you can lead a horse to water but ya can't make em drink :p

Time

Have not had much time latly. I was only at the track for 1 hr 3o min last night, but I will get my pinion angle readjusted for my stock springs. I adjusted it for the lowered trick springs. I had before.

Not sure what the pinion angle will do for traction, but I know if it's aligned the mechanical efficency will be better. Are you runnign solid bushing, there dosent seem to be much negative angle. I appreciate you sharing you'r set up, and I might even lower my car too as I like the look. Also do you have instant center brackets on you'r lower control arms?

By the way the pibion angle was set up for -4* with trick springs.
I will adjust it to what you have you'r set to just to see if it changes any thing, I just don't blieve I'm making the power you are.

What is your pinion angle??

Congratulations on your first 1.5x and 1.4x 60' Sounds like the new setup helped out a lot. It sounds like the other members are getting on you about pinion angle and they should! I think that was one of the first things I asked you about and never got a reply. I assumed you had done your homework and have your pinion set where you want it, and maybe you do. With all the suspension changes you've done it might not be a bad Idea Set your suspension up to eliminate preload and to set your pinion angle.

BaselineSuspensions.com.........Setting Pinion Angle
This link shows what to set your pinion angle at for the different suspension and bushing types. According to this SPOT MY 6 is right on the money for the correct pinion angle for all Poly bushings.

BaselineSuspensions.com.........Setting Suspension Preload
This link shows you how to zero your suspension preload. I believe the anti roll bar you have will allow you to eliminate any preloading if the rear suspension because you're car should be launching plenty straight.

Good luck. You've come a long way and you're almost there. You already have everything you need. You just need to set it up and tweak it.

Luke

Pinion angle

I will set the pinion angle tomarrow, and do some testing tomorrow. I have the edelbrock upper arms with the spherical bushings and the rest are urethane; I'm guessing, if thats what edlebrock and metco uses, So I guess -2.75* will work. I did set it before but I used wolfe racecraft's suggestions. But after doing the frame notch and installing the sway bar I was tired and just wanted to give it a try with the pinion angle the way it was.

RESULTS TOMORROW NIGHT

I appreciate all the help you guys have been!:)

Been following this thread as I'm having similar problems...my car lifts the front when I launch then seems to drop real fast...my 60fts are usually in the mid 1.5's...best is 1.51 but I know it should be better...my car runs 130MPH in the 1/4...but can only muster 10.5's...couple of 10.4's when I did happen to hook...I already have most of the suspension mods that you've done...do you think notching the frame and running bigger slicks was one of the best mods you did to get 1.4's because I'm considering that...I do need to adjust the pinion angle...it's at -1 now...so maybe setting it at -3 would help...also bought a camcorder...appears that video is required to try and fix the problem...