Cant seal head w/ARP Studs

BM Computer Src

I recently finished my TTA head gasket and cam replacement. I have had it running for 2 days now, and found it was smoking from the first startup (slightly) and badly now. Its leaking bad enough (into a chamber) to cause a miss, and bad blue/white smoke. It was down 1/2 gallon coolant today on a 2-3 mile drive. (Before I knew the smoke was coolant).

I called ARP, they said torque the studs more. Originally I set them to 60 ft-lbs, they said goto 85. I went ahead and did that. It seemed better afterwards, but has again returned to smoking and missing. ARP said at this point to go ahead and use the KB block sealant.

Is this typical? Ill use the KB Block sealant tomorrow. They did not leak before the gasket blew; and I did not remove the studs as I was able to take the head off while the engine was in the car.

Thanks,
Bob

What did you use to seal the threads on the studs where they go into the block? That's a pretty hefty leak! I am not following the theory that the studs are leaking internally. I have seen more studs leaking to the outside mainly.

I wouldn't use the KD sealer until you make darn sure that nothing else is wrong first.

I did not remove the studs, and they did not leak before. They have some type of sealant on them or they would have leaked before. I believe that since I did not torque the head down enough originally, the leak was gasket related. The ARP rep even said that 60 ft-lbs would not crush the gasket enough to effectevly seal. He said that if the new torque of 85 ft-lbs didnt cure the leak, go ahead and add the KB block seal. This is odd, but I believe its still leaking (the gasket not sealed).

I torqued mine to 90ft#.\ with no probs

Are you sure the exhaust leak did not burn the block of head?

If they are he had better get them torqued to at least 85 ft/lbs or they won't crush properly and will never seal!!

They are the 9441's.

Today, I decided to pull the plugs before starting it up to run the GM radiator tabs. Good thing I did, as #5 was full of water. Apparantly the water continued to drip into the cylinder all night. The oil is contaminated now as well.

I believe I will just pull this gasket and replace it. I know it was my fault for not torquing it enough to begin with, but I thought it would not have gotten any worse; espically since I increased the torque.

Oh well, lesson learned!
:rolleyes:

BM Computer Src,

Please shoot me an e-mail. I would like to talk with you about some chip programs and maybe I can help you a little with your gasket problem.

blown gasket

It sounds to me like the head gasket is probably lynched. If that coolant can make it both into the chamber and then back to the crankcase as steam imagine what it must be doing to that headgasket on it's way through. I think the insufficient torque was probably enough to burn the gasket out. Sorry to hear that you have to go through all of that work again.

even at 100# I got into knock tonight and heard it blow by my head gaskets...think god for steel shims..:D any other gasket and id be in the garage now changing it

BM, Sorry to hear about your Gasket woes, but at least on a brighter note,
the 38# Injectors I got from ya are PERFECT!
I increaded my Trap speed by 2 mph (107.00-108.95) and most Importantly my o2 numbers at the top end went from a LEAN ~700-699 to ~766-788 (VP 116 fuel)(even with about a pound more boost from 19 to 20.5).

Previous best of 12.59@ 107.05

New best of 12.40@108.95

Remember - Totally Stock - Turbo - Intercooler - throught the FULL 3" ATR exhaust! At 3700 lbs, me in it!

So thanks... and the Chips are right on too!

Originally posted by TClassic2
BM, Sorry to hear about your Gasket woes, but at least on a brighter note,
the 38# Injectors I got from ya are PERFECT!
I increaded my Trap speed by 2 mph (107.00-108.95) and most Importantly my o2 numbers at the top end went from a LEAN ~700-699 to ~766-788 (VP 116 fuel)(even with about a pound more boost from 19 to 20.5).

Previous best of 12.59@ 107.05

New best of 12.40@108.95

Remember - Totally Stock - Turbo - Intercooler - throught the FULL 3" ATR exhaust! At 3700 lbs, me in it!

So thanks... and the Chips are right on too!

:D Thats excellent. I knew you would be happy with them. I'm glad the chips worked well too! Congrats on the new bests.

I am changing out the bad gasket today. I have it out and am cleaning it up to put a new one one. Hopefully this isnt one of those 3rd time is the charm deals... But I am getting better at removing everything!

Once the seal was breached by not having sufficient torque..its over..good luck on the new one..

Arent you glad you didnt fill up with antifreeze :eek:

Thanks for the info, Julio. However, you should just be glad I gave you a few more days before you lose your king of the 1/4 crown!

:D

The head is boted down, I finished that today. It will fire up on Monday.

Originally posted by BM Computer Src
Thanks for the info, Julio. However, you should just be glad I gave you a few more days before you lose your king of the 1/4 crown!

:D

The head is boted down, I finished that today. It will fire up on Monday.

Old fabble...Unless your the lead dog..the view never changes :D

Ding ding..dinner is served..come and get it :eek:

Did you use the proper torque sequence? With the studs, you torque the head from the outside in (exactly the opposite of everything you ever learned).

Sorry to bother you if you already knew that.

Nope, I did not know that!!

I was following the instructions on gnttype.org for torquing the head down. Good thing I switched over to bolts this time, or I would have screwed it up again!

Thanks for the info. ARP didnt even mention anything to me about changing the sequence.

Bob

Did you use the proper torque sequence? With the studs, you torque the head from the outside in (exactly the opposite of everything you ever learned).
I never heard that before either because it is wrong. Check your info and heads!!