Car does crank smoothly and doesnt start

dav770431

Tyler
When cranking the car, it turns over normally for a second or 2 then slows down then speeds back up etc. Does the same thing with the battery charger on it. Wants to start but doesn't. I just bought a new used block for the car and got it back together and this is my problem.

Has new crank sensor and timed the cam twice to make sure.
Has new coil pack and ign module. New plugs and wires. getting fuel.
Any suggestions or ideas?

how far down did you tear it? (new used block....?)

Compression test?

Have you set a cam sensor before? They can be tricky the first time.

Bob

bought the short block with 80k miles(stock). only pulled the pan and took a look. Havent done a compression test yet. It was the first time ive set the cam. but did alot of reading about it and believe i did it right.

Help us help you.... Tell us the exact step by step procedure you used to set the cam sensor.

i followed these steps
1. Measure on a piece of masking tape and mark it at 1.45" and tape it to the Balancer at 0 degrees.
2. Bring #1 to TDC and then grab the intercooler fan and rotate the motor to your mark (25 degrees ATDC). This takes a little patience and muscle. You can try bumping it with the starter, but I'm never very successful at that.
3. Back probe the middle wire of the cam sensor (marked B and normally blue) with a voltmeter. Turn the key ON, but leave the engine OFF.
4. Loosen the sensor with a distributor wrench or a wobble socket and extension.
5. Rotate the sensor full CLOCKWISE. The voltmeter should read 7.5+ volts.
6. Slowly rotate the sensor COUNTER clockwise until the voltage drops.
7. Secure the sensor at the instant the voltage drops.

Do you have fuel pressure?
Do you have spark?
SES light on?
ALL sensors checked for connection?
Plug wires correct?
Ground wires in place and tight?

Bryan

When cranking the car, it turns over normally for a second or 2 then slows down then speeds back up etc. Does the same thing with the battery charger on it. Wants to start but doesn't. I just bought a new used block for the car and got it back together and this is my problem.

Has new crank sensor and timed the cam twice to make sure.
Has new coil pack and ign module. New plugs and wires. getting fuel.
Any suggestions or ideas?

Dunno :eek: but that's exactly what my engine does when the cam sensor is set wrong...

I took out the fuel pump relay and it cranks normal and when i take off the crankshaft sensor and balancer it cranks normally but when i have them both working it doesnt want to crank consistent or start

How did you determine TDC? Remember there is TDC on the compression stroke and TDC at overlap. Did you verify that it was on the compression stroke? If not you could have the cam sensor 180 degress off. Just a thought.