car hesitating under boost - crap in gas tank - replaced some stuff - help!!!

1987BuickGrandN

my car was breaking up under full boost, at about 1/2 boost it starts hesitating

yesterday i dropped the gas tank only to find all sorts of crap in the tank, i took a wet vac and sucked up everything i could (seemed to get most of it out of there, the stuff looks like rust colored sand, perhaps cuz the car sat for soo long)

i blew out the fuel lines (more crap came out)

changed the fuel filter (saturated with crap)

replaced the fuel pump with reds XP plus (does reds XP+ pump moan?, this pump moans like a bitch, and im not too happy with how it sounds, it doesnt seem like it does that in my other car)

after i cleaned up the fuel system somewhat I'm still having the same problems

I could actually hear it spark knocking under boost last night (poor engine)

I'm going to install a hot wire kit and then replace the coil pack and resistor (the thing under the coil pack not sure if its called a resistor)

i hope that solves the problem

any other suggestions?

could the injectors be hosed (stock injectors, stock turbo)???
i'm thinking about going with some 42.5s
i have an ADJ FPR but i need a fuel pressure gauge before i install it

i changed the plugs
magnicore 10mm wires
reds xp+ fuel pump
new fuel filter

i put a new trans in my car last week
its been worked over, red alto clutches
3200 stall art carr torque converter
deep sump pan
high volume pump

it seems like boost kicked in at a much lower RPM with my old trans
with the new trans it spools quick but doesnt come in as early
prob because of the converter

normal??

Question, the junk you found in the fuel lines, which lines were they?? The ones from the tank to the filter, or from the filter to the engine??

If you found that much junk in the tank then it's probably done for...My buddy had the same problem and we didn't get rid of it till we replaced the whole tank, it'll just rust again and fill the fuel lines with crap again....souonds like you need to do that, clean out ALL the fuel lines, Clean/Replace the injectors (you can send them out to be cleaned, but if you're going to upgrade later anyway I'd just replace 'em), get you're fuel gauge, and install your regulator...DO NOT BOOST IT UNTIL YOU GET THE FUEL SYSTEM UP TO PAR, OR YOU WILL BE REPLACING THE HEADGASKETS.

Oh and the pump is probably whining because it's clogged with rust, when you replace the tank replace the sock with it...the more you drive this car the more damage you do to it.

Oh yeah and you really want to get that Hotwire kit.

thanks for the reply,

i have the hot wire kit just gotta get it installed

the junk came from the main fuel line

i took out the fuel filter and blew out the line from the engine to the fuel filter, then i blew out the line from the fuel filter to the tank

i think i got most of the crap out of there

the pump is brand new (when you turn on the turn signal you can hear the pump change tones with each click) (hot wire kit should fix that up)

i'll try the hot wire kit tonight along with the coil pack and resistor and see where im at after that.

if it was in the lines, trust me some of it got past the filter, clean the injectors.

Originally posted by 1987BuickGrandN
the pump is brand new (when you turn on the turn signal you can hear the pump change tones with each click) (hot wire kit should fix that up)

The junk in the tank will come back...It'll just rust more and clog the sock and pump again...I fit does you COULD burn up your new pump.

I got my pump from bruce alred at aggressive auto. (not happy with some of the parts I've purchased from him lately) btw i changed the fuel filter.

the pump doesnt moan all the time, only after its been driven for a while

I might drop the tank again in a week or two and see if theres more stuff in the tank.

when i do that I'll change the fuel filger again

i couldnt get around to installing the hot wire kit, coil pack and capacitor last night

gotta upgrade injectors, any suggestions?

i was thinking 42.5s but now that i have a built up tranny and a 3200 stall non-lockup converter i was thinking i might want to go bigger then a GT32-55E or a TE44, I was thinking 61 or GT35

Thanks again,

Bryan

i would recommend the 50# or 55# injectors just because its better to have too much in the end rather than too little and 42s are notoriously a little harder to tune with the off-idle stumble that a lot of 42s cause. If you don't plan on anything else in the future, 42s are not bad or anything but i know once you get the bug youll want more mods and you may end up buying injectors twice when you could have had only bought once.

It is probably moaning after you drive it for a while because the rust in the tank collects around the pump, and after you shut it off and the suction's gone the crap floats away from the pump, so that the next time you start it, it doesn't moan because it doesn't have a huge load on it...I'm telling you you need to get a different tank, that one is done for...There's a guy selling one on ebay right now...I don't know if you use ebay or not.