CAT rods

Rodney87GN

Anyone use the CAT rods that Full Throttle sells? I searched but couldn't find anyone using them. Seems like everyone is using the K1 rods but these CAT rods are almost half the price. Seems like a bargain to me (makes using the stock rods obsolete)....so what's the scoop on these rods?

Do you mean scat rods?.I talked to a machine shop and they told me k1 scat and eagle are all about equal. way better than stock rods they said. I am going with an Eagle crank and rods from gofaststuff.com.frank is a cool guy. I have known this guy for about 12 years. hopefully he becomes a vendor here

The CAT rods have only been on the market a very short time. I'd be suprised if anyone is actually running them yet. They are from CHINA as you might imagine. Hard to judge the quality yet but typically CAT stuff is on par with Eagle. One way or another they are far superior to stock rods.

Neal

I just might try them. I'm in the middle of a motor rebuild and using a CAT crank. I was gonna use my stock rods but after rebuilding the rods with ARP bolts I could just buy new CAT rods. BTW does anybody know if those CAT rods use ARP bolts?

i have never heard cat was on par with eagle. from what i know anything cat has not been a drop in install. and my engine builder told me that the cat cranks took some work to get them balanced and put in.

Eagle cranks aren't a drop in either. Although there is supposedly a version for external balanced applications that will allow you to use your stock flexplate and balancer. Internal balance is better for performance applications and with that said both the Eagle and CAT cranks will need to be balanced in conjunction with the other rotating components.

Neal

How much are the rods . i did not see them at full throttle. i read some info on them at daves race page. it says arp designed the cap screws. but it does not say who makes them. Im sure all the rods that are out there are not made in the usa. its like auto parts as long as 37% of the product is made in the usa including the package they can put made is usa on box:eek:

Not all rods are made in CHINA. It's true to say that "budget" type rods are made overseas. This would include SCAT, CAT and K1. If I had my choice I'd pick the K1 rods since K1 is affiliated with Carrillo who makes some of the best rods available. Premium rods like Carrillo, Crower, Oliver and Cunningham are made in the USA but the price for a set is much higher as you might imagine. I've seen the CAT rods for sale on Ebay for around $279.

Neal

well my eagle was balanced and put in no work on journals like i was told had to be done with the cat. i just dont think that cat is the same quality. i thought i would go budget with a cat girdle and it was not a good deal for me lets just say it wasnt a direct fit. and it was done by a shop that has put in more than a few girdles

The two cranks come from the same forging. CAT used to do finish work for Eagle.

Neal

The two cranks come from the same forging. CAT used to do finish work for Eagle.

Neal

Not sure what CAT says, but we use lots of Eagle stuff besides Buicks, and Eagle states they machine their own cranks. I know that for a fact with the external balance steel cranks. Also, Eagle get material certs with their forgings, so it may, or may not be, the exactally same as CAT?

There is a difference in the depth of hardness between Eagle and CAT cranks, and the Eagles balance out MUCH better.

We do many street/strip engines with the external balance forged crank, but agree for high RPM internal is better.

[Forgot about your switch, will send it today, sorry.]

I'm pretty sure they come with the ARP 2000 bolts.

But I decided to use the K1 rods instead.

Out of curiosity why are you moving away from the stockers? They do not seem to be one of the weak links in these engines.
BTW- I am currently building an engine myself and if there are other things I need to look at it is just nice to know before putting it all back together.

Out of curiosity why are you moving away from the stockers? They do not seem to be one of the weak links in these engines.
BTW- I am currently building an engine myself and if there are other things I need to look at it is just nice to know before putting it all back together.

I figured it'll be a nice addition to the forged crank and forged pistons I'm using. I'm going for mid 10s and wanted a strong bottom end for my rebuild. I know tons of people have gone as fast or faster with the stock rods but the prices on forged rods are very reasonable now (especially those CAT rods, but no else knows or uses them otherwise I would've got a set;) )...I don't think I'd want to run the 20 year old stockers that hard anymore.:)

I figured it'll be a nice addition to the forged crank and forged pistons I'm using. I'm going for mid 10s and wanted a strong bottom end for my rebuild. I know tons of people have gone as fast or faster with the stock rods but the prices on forged rods are very reasonable now (especially those CAT rods, but no else knows or uses them otherwise I would've got a set;) )...I don't think I'd want to run the 20 year old stockers that hard anymore.:)

Ahh! You had to put it like that. Now I am going to spend more un-budgeted money.:biggrin: That is a good point why spend the money on all of the forged parts and skimp on the rods.
It always starts out how I am not going to spend that much money then it starts the further you get into the project. Oh well at least this engine will hold up.
You know you are the one who talked me into the roller cam too. I am going to have to quit reading your post as you are breaking my bank account.:D

You know you are the one who talked me into the roller cam too. I am going to have to quit reading your post as you are breaking my bank account.:D

I'm sorry man!:biggrin::biggrin: lol, I'm pretty good at breaking my own bank account too. Well you know how it goes, it's too easy to get carried away with this stuff but I just hate doing stuff twice. You end up spending more money in the end....been there done that. I think I did alright with my projected budget, I saved some money here and there without cutting corners, if you know what i mean.

On their site it says they use rod bolts that arp designed. Who knows if if arp really makes them.
ARP makes the bolts, they are stamped ARP right on them as well. Cat is switching over to all ARP fasteners. The rods have been great so for look exactly like the K1 side by side. I cannot verify if the forging is the same, no one will verify that. The K1 uses the ARP 2000 bolt, the Cat uses the standard ARP bolt. For a stock type (under 600HP) rebuild you cannot beat the Cat rod, it is far stronger than a stock rod. You cannot resize the stock units plus add ARP bolts for the price of the Cat. The K1 is IMO a much nicer rod finish wise and has proven itself in some very high HP combos already. Ask Dan at DLS
Mike