Chances of passing with no EGR?

Nick McCardle

I'm looking at possibly upgrading the heads, which would mean no EGR. Only thing I'm worried about is not being able to pass emissions. With a TurboTweak Emissions chip and maybe something in the gas tank anyone think there's a decent chance to pass?

You'll be fine, just needs a working cat converter and she has to be in good running order. I've never had functioning EGR and always passed here in IL on the "fast pass" first try. I've always wanted to try a test without the converter just to see what would happen but never did.

Fortunately our old Buick's are exempt nowadays in IL so it's no longer a concern.

I had my friend try my car with a TT chip and no cat converter on my GN and the NoX were high that way, I put the cat back on and popped in my emissions chip and emissions were so low, passed easy this way.

I had my friend try my car with a TT chip and no cat converter on my GN and the NoX were high that way, I put the cat back on and popped in my emissions chip and emissions were so low, passed easy this way.
same here...i failed nox miserably even with the emissions chip...found out the cat was gutted...put a new one on, passed no problem

Your chances of passing are entirely dependent on the requirements in your state.

Lot's of good guesses here, but I don't see anyone from your state that might actually be able to add some insight into whether or not an EGR would come into play.

I have a fully functioning cat and full exhaust (I could even do the test with the cut-out open and I don't think it would be an issue depending on the station). The car passed last year with the best numbers I've had on any car I've ever owned, I'm just in the middle of upgrades right now and slightly worried about going to heads without an EGR.

Well, not worrying about it now. Will be using the stock heads with some work done, so keeping the EGR. Thanks for all the comments anyway.

for the 20 bucks it costs, not a bad idea to run the tt emissions chip and turn down the fp per instructions..just extra insurance in getting the sticker

I'm looking at possibly upgrading the heads, which would mean no EGR. Only thing I'm worried about is not being able to pass emissions. With a TurboTweak Emissions chip and maybe something in the gas tank anyone think there's a decent chance to pass?

Without the EGR I think it would be a problem..

I tried no EGR once and passed by a slim margin, 908 parts out of an allowable 920.

Here in CT.

It was with the Extender chip with no EGR in it, since then I made a pulser PWM circuit which simulates 10-100% EGR (adjustable) over .50 TPS.

Car still has all the hoses and valve and stock heads obviously.

Runs about 100-150 parts with the EGR.

Other car I have run an old modern musclecar street 93 chip that still had EGR pulsing in it. :p

Hey guys, I don't mean to bogart anyones' post but, I have one question. Would running C16 with cats on the car burn the cat up???? I just bought a car and it needs to pass emissions here in Indiana.

thanks for the info
Tim

Yes, running leaded race gas will ruin/plug your cat. An no, running leaded race gas will not help you pass smog checks anyway.

Thanks for the info TurboDave. I will have to do some research, to see if it needs a cat, or not??
Thanks

Tim

I passed here in Ohio without the egr being hooked up and no cat... Funny thing is I didn't realize the cat was gutted till I took it off to replace it with a test pipe... Guess the extra precutions I took paid off... Went to Advance auto and purchased a bottle of "Guarentee to Pass" turned down the fuel pressure and unhooked the waste gate rod so it wouldn't boost during the tread mill run.

I passed here in Ohio without the egr being hooked up and no cat... Funny thing is I didn't realize the cat was gutted till I took it off to replace it with a test pipe... Guess the extra precutions I took paid off... Went to Advance auto and purchased a bottle of "Guarentee to Pass" turned down the fuel pressure and unhooked the waste gate rod so it wouldn't boost during the tread mill run.

Why did you turn down the fuel pressure? You realize that turning down the fuel pressure just causes the BLM to increase to negate the fuel pressure adjustment and get the A/F ratio back to stoichiometric.

I know on Erics emissions chip the directions say to drop fuel pressure from 43 lbs. down to 38 lbs. for emissions testing, not sure what difference that makes but I did it anyways! and reset it when I was done with testing.