Checking out GN, but has a problem

78RedExpress

Im in the market right now for a Gn(or syclone-but i doubt ill get one)and i found a nice one with 100000m on it stock everything two owner car with the astroroof and auto climate control. the car has been in a accident two years ago so it has a reapint but is very clean inside and out with a bit of rust over the back fenders(not a biggie-cuz its going to be my daily driver). its all seems great but when i test drove it under hard acceleartion it had quite the vibration starting from about 10mph to second gear shift. it seemed fine on the hihghway and this car flie. another thingf he told me about its is the tranny is kinda weak in seond gear and when its cold he said it tends to slip. he is asking 10500cdn(so about $6000) is there anything more should i check for? should i stay away from this car?? i almost bought it on the spot but i had kinda funny feeling about it and i thought id let the pros help me out here.

thanks
Greg

Honest Opinion

Let see here from what you've said we can take it that --

1. The cars been wrecked and repainted ---- bad news

2. Car has a rust problem (no such thing as small rust problem -- especially on quater panels)

3. Transmission is history

4. Motor has 100000 miles on it with unknown history

5. Car has bad vibration , possible suspension problems or even problems from former wreck

So some conclusions that can be drawn. Since the car has a current rust problem the repaint was probably not good and car needs paint and rust repair. This will cost between 2500 and 7500 depending on how good a job you want done. Engine has alot of miles on it and could be questionable. Needs transmission rebuild. This could cost between 500 and 1500 depending on how you go about it. Car has some kinda vibration?? Until you figure this out you don't know what this could cost. Sounds like this 6000 car could end up costing you near 15000 grand in a worst case scenario. This car sounds like a beater that will probably make your life miserable. I think I would try to find a nicer unwrecked car with good paint and less miles. It will be cheaper and less stressfull in the long run.

Rust is probably from a leaking back window.

Vibration is probably LR clutches slipping (if it goes away in 2nd), is 2nd is NG, band is glazed too. Needs an OH.

If timing chain hasnt been done, its an issue as failure will be catastrophic.

6K for a relatively tired GN is kinda high I'd think

not good enough for $6k. $4500 would be fine.

I paid $7500 for my car with new interior, very low mileage engine & tranny, great stereo, and all the work done. Point is there's no way in hell you could get my car for this one + $1500, so don't buy it. Hell $1500 wouldn't buy you the stereo. You're much better off finding a car with a lot already done like mine that somebody has to sell. They're out there, it's well worth the money to spend $1500-$2000 more and get a nice car that's done.

thanks guys i ran the vin and i found out it was written off in 1998, and repaired in 2000. it also had rust on the edges of the inside of the moonroof and a pretty rusty exhaust, and the thing stalled on me when i drove it(cant be good eh!)

on another note, my friends grandfather was selling a nice 87 t-type with about 35000m on it, driven about one week a year. he wants in the range of $12000cdn, ill think ill have to go check it out.

Good Thinking

Take the words from ones who know -- spending a little more now in the buying phase will save you a ton later. Good Luck.