Clever ways to stiffen body and frame?

MNwe4

Hey guys, anyone have some clever ideas of how to stiffen up our cars other than the normal stuff like rear seat braces or the braces that form a V between the k-member and front frame rails? I realize a cage is the obvious answer, but I'm not planning on ever putting one in my car. The car is currently getting all fresh body work and paint and seeing as most of the lead seams were cracked I certainly don't want it happening again. Any ideas or links to previous threads that I missed would be great.

Besides the ones you mentioned, I put a brace on the rear of my frame right behind the rear bumper to tie the rear frame together because the bumper itself isn't good enough.

Otes.

solid body mounts and all the factory frame and body bracing. weld up all the seams on the body and box in the frame.

Take out the lead seams and weld in metal mine is being done like that right now and add all the said bracing should be good!
Chris

Bolt in harness bar. It ties the factory upper seat beat mounts together and then two bars the bolt back down next to the rear seat.

Besides the ones you mentioned, I put a brace on the rear of my frame right behind the rear bumper to tie the rear frame together because the bumper itself isn't good enough.

Otes.
I did this to the rear and front frames.

Bolt in harness bar. It ties the factory upper seat beat mounts together and then two bars the bolt back down next to the rear seat.

Not a bad idea, have any pictures of an example? However, after thinking about it at that point may as well just install a roll cage if the funds are available. Still would like to see a picture though since I've never heard of it. Thanks.

Not a bad idea, have any pictures of an example? However, after thinking about it at that point may as well just install a roll cage if the funds are available. Still would like to see a picture though since I've never heard of it. Thanks.

6wh3ppm

Thanks guys, keep the ideas rolling in. Body work is already complete and ready for paint, so changing the seam structure is out. Have previously installed the energy suspension poly body mounts so we're good to go there I suppose. What about a bar that comes up through the trunk just behind the rear seat and is welded to the frame rails? This sort of accomplishes the same thing as the seat braces but would directly connect the frame rails instead of using the body as a connection point. Maybe there's no room to do it there, I don't know.

Weld a tube 1 5/8" between the rear spring pearches. Box the frame. You can add a bolt on cross member or two under the car. Adding a bar from frame to rear seat in the trunk will make it real loud. You can have a chassis shop make a bolt in roll bar too. It wont be NHRA legal but it will stiffen the chassis significantly.

Don't know how important it is, but when installing these braces use jack stands on the the frame. Two stands behind the front tires and two in front of the rear tires. Thats what I did when I did mine, frame was nice and level unlike it is when its on the suspension.

Otes.

Don't know how important it is, but when installing these braces use jack stands on the the frame. Two stands behind the front tires and two in front of the rear tires. Thats what I did when I did mine, frame was nice and level unlike it is when its on the suspension.

Otes.

You install the reinforcement bars with the suspension at rest and loaded. Put it on it's wheels.

You don't want to use jack stands when doing chassis work because its close to impossible to get the weight distributed properly like when the weight is on the wheels. I use cribbings for my cars which are commonly called DSE stands on the internet because Detroit Speed and Engineering made them popular even though they have been around for a long time. You can make a set for under $50 and they work great.

shop003.jpg

There was a guy that made that style of brace that tied into the seatbelt holes and it was ran up and over to the top of the roof and to the other side. You didn't even no it was there because it was under the trim.
It was on the Monte Carlo board if I remember right. I wish I could find it again because I would make one for mine

You install the reinforcement bars with the suspension at rest and loaded. Put it on it's wheels.

Why do you have to do it with a load on suspension? I have seen a place here in town that does off frame restorations and they square up the frame when they box the frame and add reinforcement braces. Thats before frame has suspension on it, they also build full all out race cars and do the same thing. Maybe I missed something when I was talking to them about it and miss understood him. I don't want to give wrong or bad advise so what happens if you do it with suspension off the ground and have the frame supported and level with jack stands?

Otes.

Why do you have to do it with a load on suspension? I have seen a place here in town that does off frame restorations and they square up the frame when they box the frame and add reinforcement braces. Thats before frame has suspension on it, they also build full all out race cars and do the same thing. Maybe I missed something when I was talking to them about it and miss understood him. I don't want to give wrong or bad advise so what happens if you do it with suspension off the ground and have the frame supported and level with jack stands?

Otes.
A stock framed regal will droop on the ends if the jackstands are under the jack points. It makes sure everything is squared up and sitting like it would at ride height

Otes.
With the frame out of the car the frame isn't under any stress. Once you have the frame in then the stress points are spread between the body bushings but the pressure points are where the springs are located. That's why you really want to have the car sitting on the wheels. The frame and body are very much like a unichasis car. The center rails flex a huge amount but the center of the body is what keeps it from bending.