Clever ways to stiffen body and frame?

I recently added the GNX brace. also left 2 of the tubes of the Kirban back seat brace installed. Also installed GNX bushings. I have not driven it yet but should help.

Attachments

• IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG
    675 KB · Views: 159
WOAH! Where do I get one of those sweet harness bars??? I've always wanted 4 point harnesses, but I just didn't want a cage... That I can live with for sure!

Pics from Jim show how it goes VERY EASY!!!!!

I took out the factory seat bellts and installed 5 piont harness

Give a call have some of pics on my phone Dont know how to download from phone!! sorry

941 416 7509

JD

I did it the old fashioned way, measured, got the angle of the B pillar, and scoured the internet for hours and hours. NRG made my bar for a Civic at 47 inches between the bolt holes. The 47" is tight, I had to massage it to fit over the plastic. If I had to do it over I'd get a slightly shorter one at 46.5 inches if I could and use a small spacer of aluminum as needed to close the gap. The bar just bolts in over the plastic b pillars. However, take the plastic off so you can remove the old seat belt mechanism and be able to reach behind and put in some reinforcement to bolt to where the bottom bar bolts into the body by the rear seat.

That's awesome! Thanks you guys for the info! If you have any could you post up some pics of with the interior installed? Also did you feel any difference in body stiffness? I am still blown away that I've never seen or heard of anything like this. It's been one of my "silly dreams" to have 4 points for as long as I've owned this car, but getting a cage/bar put in has always been last on my list of things to do due to the fact that I highly doubt this car will ever "need" one. This is very much a reality for me, especially if it stiffens the chassis up too.

I agree that the bolt in bar is a good idea, but at that point if you have the funds or the abilities it makes more sense to put in a cage. To me they share similar disadvantages by making the back seat essentially useless and you have to mess up your interior. At the same time the bolt in bar does nothing to make the car nhra legal for under 11.50s. If mostly for a location to attach seatbelts to, then ok. Just my thoughts.

Is anyone aware of other parts that can be purchased for our cars to increase rigidity (weld in or bolt in)?

I recently added the GNX brace. also left 2 of the tubes of the Kirban back seat brace installed. Also installed GNX bushings. I have not driven it yet but should help.

What made you decide to install the GNX brace when you already had Kirban's? Is it thought to be that much better?

I would be afraid of that bar in the event of an accident on the street with no helmet. That's the reason I won't go with a cage. The car is 99% street driven.

Open the factory seat belt hold down on the bottom and you'll find a stick on quarter sized donut that holds the bolt to some piece of tin. I run larger seats so they have a nice back on them and with 5 pt belts I think movement is limited, much more so than 80's 3 pt belts with the factory low rise seats from GM.

7cbft6z

I'd never be able to run that setup at my local track. They follow the rulebook when it comes to roll bars.

I went with Jims set up because I DONT WANT A CAGE!!!

A lot of guys want to keep there car's street cars, I believe a cage makes it a race car.

I race my car at events where I now I can, and my local track are GREAT people and let me run because they know the car isnt unsafe!!

I'm very lucky to be able to run like I do, but if you want to race NHRA build a cage and go racin.

JD

D - Put a cage in it and be done and be safe!! It can always be taken out if you decide to go back to stock. Your car is already far from stock so what does it matter now?

I went with Jims set up because I DONT WANT A CAGE!!!

A lot of guys want to keep there car's street cars, I believe a cage makes it a race car.

I race my car at events where I now I can, and my local track are GREAT people and let me run because they know the car isnt unsafe!!

I'm very lucky to be able to run like I do, but if you want to race NHRA build a cage and go racin.

JD
Don't know how "great" they are. Good luck if you crash like Scott Atk.

Just trying to help someone with there question not trying to start a pissing contest!

I choose to set up my car the way I want it.

You and anybody. Can do what THEY want!

I race at many events over the years , I have had a few close calls, but have been able keep the car under control, call it lucky.

I know s@it happens but you have a better chance of an accident on the roads here in fla with all these snowbirds !!!

just trying to be creative.

Good luck and be safe JD

If you are talking about my post, I sure did. Just poking some fun at a friend. Does that help you out? Just curious!!

Seems that we all have different ways of doing things. Sorry if i came across the WRONG way.

I was just answering the question,

JD