coilover adjust

kraus

I'm looking to set my grand national up to hook on street. I have umi rear uppers and lowers with heim, roto joints, still use poly in housing. Pinion angle is set at -1.5. Up front I am running all umi arms also with poly bushings. I am running viking shocks with double adjustable compression and rebound. Front is a 450 coil setup spring . Rear I have a trz adjustable mount with 150# 12 inch long spring in stock location. Car is full weight no , on a 28 x10 mickey sr radial ,15 x8 wheels.
At the moment I am trying to hook it on this sr tire, problem is leaving at anything more the 2 psi tires roll 3 gears. I put the shocks at 14 compression and 6 rebound on rear. On front I set to vikings starting point. Even a 20 mph roll it comes into boost and rolls them and car steps out alil but continues to push forward. Im still running front sway bar, and have a rear h and r roll bar out back. I ordered a set of mickey new ss drag radials but not sure when backorder will be here.
So im trying to get car with these tires to hook open to suggestions

I have QA1 Coilovers 400# front springs and 150# rear springs, UMI rear upper and lower control arms, and a huge rear ATR swaybar. So our setups are compareable. I think your issue is that you may be set up a bit too stiff and not getting the weight to transfer properly. I would loosen the front shocks a bit and get rid of the front sway bar so that you can get the weight transfered to the back. You have an awesome rear bar so in my opinion you do not need the front sway bar. With the stuff in your sig, you need drag radials to be able to hook on the street. I doubt any regular street tire will hold the power on the street. Check your ride height also, you may need to adjust it a bit to get most from the weight transfer.

I recently (three weeks ago) had some QA1 rear coil overs installed on my car along with double adjustable shocks at all four corners. The other day I posted a question about adjusting the height ofd the car but I eventually found out by myself. Upon installation, we initially set the height too low which caused the tires to touch the wheel opening mouldings but after raising the rear of the car I think I got that solved (but haven't driven the car since I adjusted them)

-->What I'm not sure at all is how to adjust thees double adjusting shocks. :confused: My first question is : for better weight transfer, do the rears have to be hard on compression and soft on rebound or is it the other way around?? and my second question is what about adjusting the fronts?

Claude.

Last edited:
I recently (three weeks ago) had some QA1 rear coil overs installed on my car along with double adjustable shocks at all four corners. The other day I posted a question about adjusting the height ofd the car but I eventually found out by myself. Upon installation, we initially set the height too low which caused the tires to touch the wheel opening mouldings but after raising the rear of the car I think I got that solved (but haven't driven the car since I adjusted them)

-->What I'm not sure at all is how to adjust thees double adjusting shocks. :confused: My first question is : for better weight transfer, do the rears have to be hard on compression and soft on rebound or is it the other way around?? and my second question is what about adjusting the fronts?

Claude.
For track use, what has worked best for me in a G body is: Fronts- really soft rebound, really stiff compression Rears- equally stiff compression and rebound. The fronts are almost set and forget. The rears may take a few passes to see how stiff you need to set both compression and rebound almost if not equally......... This is just me experience and opinion.

Tomorrow im going to do some backroad test hits and adjust from there a lil. Ill post what is working and not

Isn't it the other way around for the front?…so the shocks extend freely but compress slowly?

Claude.
The fronts need to be soft on the rebound to lift the weight easily and transfer it up and back. The compression needs to be stiff so it can settle slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk