Coolant shooting out of overflow reservoir.

thanks for all the input guys. so here's what the problem was. a combination of things (of course) seems to have been the problem. partially blocked radiator (from stop leak), a leaking thermostat housing gasket (standard gasket not working properly due to a worn out housing), and apparently a possessed thermostat (very aggravating since i have owned the car for a little over 2 years and have gone through 3 or 4 thermostats and not a one was worth a darned! so i have removed the thermostat out completely. sandwiched 2 gaskets for thermostat housing and used a little grey rtv. also had to tap the housing back into shape. no whacky heating issues and no coolant shooting out as far as i can tell. :D

thanks for all the input guys. so here's what the problem was. a combination of things (of course) seems to have been the problem. partially blocked radiator (from stop leak), a leaking thermostat housing gasket (standard gasket not working properly due to a worn out housing), and apparently a possessed thermostat (very aggravating since i have owned the car for a little over 2 years and have gone through 3 or 4 thermostats and not a one was worth a darned! so i have removed the thermostat out completely. sandwiched 2 gaskets for thermostat housing and used a little grey rtv. also had to tap the housing back into shape. no whacky heating issues and no coolant shooting out as far as i can tell. :D

I could have sworn you said you changed the thermostat already.

I think he's wearing rose colored glasses but maybe not. Good luck, dude.

lol! the most recent thermostat i put in was about 6 months ago..... i will worry about another one come oct/nov. until then, hopefully i can actually enjoy this car....

lol! the most recent thermostat i put in was about 6 months ago..... i will worry about another one come oct/nov. until then, hopefully i can actually enjoy this car....

Thermostats just dont go bad at the rate youre talking about but like I said, I hope it works out for you. Id be pulling the engine personally.

I've seen 1 or 2 thermostat failures in my life on all cars I've worked on. They don't go bad too often. If you had 4 thermostats in there and the symptoms are repeatable it's time to pull it out as jay suggested.

you would think now that the t-stat is out it would show bubbles more and sooner? does it still bubble with the cap off?

no bubbling. everything seems to be flowing as it should. no coolant smell from exhaust. no exhaust smell in coolant.....no bouncing temps....im still a bit on edge though. lol!

I say run it till you see stuff coming out the overflow and keep a close eye on your dipstick to ensure you don't get any milkshake

cool. i will look into it. i know a couple of tool trucks come by my work twice a week. i will see what they have. i doubt it will be cheap though! lol

screw it! i'm gonna change the head gaskets...stupid car ran cool as a cucumber for 45 min while on the highway. as soon as i pull of the highway, within a half mile, i went from 160-235ish. i turned car off. notice fracking coolant has been overflowing. i opened up reservoir and see nice sized air bubbles coming up out of it. :mad: